heading to tuscon az

Mojave

WKR
Lemmon doesn’t have enough snow to ski yet. Many years it never opens and when it’s does it might not last long. What’s with the obsession over “Scottsdale Blondes”??? I doubt you’ll even notice them unless you’re really into them. You don’t need dogs to hunt Gambel’s or Scaled quail. Mearns are possible without but rather tough if you don’t. There are many wineries about an hour south in the Sonoita area. A Gould’s Turkey tag is a unicorn tag anymore. Getting to be near sheep draw odds.
What can I say I like bimbos!

BBob

WKR
the quail thing sounds amazing
Gambel’s, Scaled and Mearns (aka Montezuma) quail. In general Gambel’s are in the lowest elevations, next up just a touch higher are the Scaled and then the Mearns. In some areas if you’re really lucky and the stars align you can find all three together but that’s a real rarity. A triple play on all three in one day can be quite a fun challenge. Mearns are usually the hard part in that quest.

Attachments

• CC7E125A-86E2-4739-80CF-E9085AA97E31.jpeg
    CC7E125A-86E2-4739-80CF-E9085AA97E31.jpeg
    657.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 49DAEA0C-FE4D-4B74-B7D4-CFE7B1BBD592.jpeg
    49DAEA0C-FE4D-4B74-B7D4-CFE7B1BBD592.jpeg
    708.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 3535AD48-B44C-4B0C-AA68-5EFD30473D40.jpeg
    3535AD48-B44C-4B0C-AA68-5EFD30473D40.jpeg
    819.3 KB · Views: 4
OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
ive emailed a couple guides. I hate to spend the money but this is something I want to do, badly

1. Have dinner at Casa Molina!
2. Drive by airplane graveyard
3. Visit Sierra Vista
4. Golf (public courses are as nice as most private courses in other states)
5. Check out Sedona
6. Hike seven falls in Sabino Canyon
7. Catch a lightning storm
8. Don't get caught in a monsoon wash
9. Drive down to Puerto Penasco (not sure if this is still safe in current times)
10. I don't think they have the "suicide lanes" anymore going into downtown, they were always a trip the first time using them!!

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I was wondering if going to nogales or one of the mexican towns was safe. or even hiking for that matter.
the more I hear about the quail the more I want to do that. Will see what the guides say and go from there.

Elk97

WKR
Great shotgun range in Tucson, and Ben Avery in Phoenix is amazing (3 sporting clays courses, 20? trap, 1000 yard rifle, and archery. The missle silo south of Tucson is interesting.

Mojave

WKR
As far as border safety, most of the problems are south of I-10. Rarely do we (New Mexicans) or Arizonans have problems north of I-10 with border security issues.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Guys hit on most of the good stuff, quail hunting should be a blast. Titan missle museum is pretty interesting. Also Pima air and space museum. Saguaro national park on the east side has some trails, same with the MT. Lemon, Sabino canyon, Madera canyon trails. Local food trucks, taco, Sonoran dog etc. are hard to beat. Also, think golf courses are still open.... but don't golf so not sure

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks again guys, i really appreciate all the info. Im gonna do a ton of exploring, and can hopefully get on some quail. that sounds amazing, I might even get some work done

Felix40

WKR
Peppersauce cave on the north side of Mt Lemmon is cool. It’s about a mile long with a pool at the end of it.

The quail hunting right around Tucson isn’t great. I never found a really good spot there. The north side of Phoenix is loaded. There are probably good spots closer too.

Illegal immigrants aren’t a big concern. Downtown is shoulder to shoulder with homeless people.

1) Colossal Cave
2) Kartchner Cavern
3) Tombstone (do ghost tour)
4) Bisbee (do ghost tour, mine tour)
5) Sonoita (wine tasting)
6) Chiricahuas (hiking)
7) Saguaro National Park (East and West)
8) Arizona-Sonoran Desert Wildlife Museum

thegrouse

Lil-Rokslider
I used to cross into Mexico for days when I lived in AZ. Rocky Point "Puerto Penasco" or just into Nogales. I would in quire about current conditions across the border.

Fordguy

WKR
I was wondering if going to nogales or one of the mexican towns was safe. or even hiking for that matter.
the more I hear about the quail the more I want to do that. Will see what the guides say and go from there.
Lol. I wouldn't say it was safe, the last time I was there. I rode to Nogales on a motorcycle about 8 years ago. It was rough. Interesting, but very rough, a lot of drug sales and worse. Watch your back, no one there is likely to watch it for you

Chiricahuas are awesome. Geronimo hid there for a reason.
Mt Lemon and Mt Graham are worth checking out. Last time around Mt Lemon I saw Coues, a black bear and a coatimundi.
Superstitions… While looking for the Lost Dutchman’s treasure, you can find sheep in the cliffs and bear in the timber. I saw another coatimundi there as well.
I am not a fan of Sedona.
There is no reason for you to go to Nogales. Watch Sicario and No Country for Old Men. They’re non-fiction movies.
Flag is great. My home away from home, check out the Mogollon Rim weather permitted. The timeframe you’re talking, there will most likely be snow on top, but head from Mormon Lake up until you hit snow. Help the AZ residents out and shoot some of the coyotes.
March is an awesome month usually in S AZ.
Then there’s the food. That’s another thread.