Have to buy a holster. Chest or back waist belt?

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all. Gonna buy a Razco and cant for the life of me decide between a bino harness for under my Sitka or on the waist belt of my mystery Ranch Metcalf. Any experience with the two? I'm a small guy. 135 lbs and 5'6" so real estate is at a minimum and I feel like the bino harness isn't gonna work for me.

Thoughts? Other options?

PNWGATOR

WKR
I’m not familiar with the Razco, but I’ve run holsters of numerous designs and without question the chest holster(I have experience with the Kenai) is the 100% solution for me. Numerous seasons over a lot of miles in brutal terrain and often jungle like foliage carrying heavy loads and at the end of the day I continue to wear the pistol. Doing camp chores, around the fire, it’s simply always on and available and readily accessible.

I have the Razco under a AGC bino harness, 5’8” and had no issues with it. Gun is secure and easy to get to anytime it is needed. For our upcoming Moose hunt I also have a OWB holster, so if/when we are packing meat I can leave the bino bag behind at camp (for extra heavy loads). The Razco can be run without the bino’s as well as a chest rig, but I thought the extra holster was a better move for me.

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not familiar with the Razco, but I’ve run holsters of numerous designs and without question the chest holster(I have experience with the Kenai) is the 100% solution for me. Numerous seasons over a lot of miles in brutal terrain and often jungle like foliage carrying heavy loads and at the end of the day I continue to wear the pistol. Doing camp chores, around the fire, it’s simply always on and available and readily accessible.
Is this a holster you run under a bino harness, or standalone?

If you put it on your pack - what will you do when you drop your pack? More versatile for bino harness
Rig

If small gun do the bino harness one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
If you put it on your pack - what will you do when you drop your pack? More versatile for bino harness
Rig

If small gun do the bino harness one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's my thoughts as well. It's a Glock g29 smallest 10mm I could find that fit me well

The razco holsters use a single shell that can be swapped (screws) between the chest rig backer or pack attachment of choice.
I messed with the razco chest holster and it’s great for a set and forget. If you’re going to be swapping from bino rig to pack to just gun on chest no binos, it’s a lot of screwing around.
I ended up doing a kenai chest rig, and a razco pack mount. Much simpler and faster but more expensive.

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
The razco holsters use a single shell that can be swapped (screws) between the chest rig backer or pack attachment of choice.
I messed with the razco chest holster and it’s great for a set and forget. If you’re going to be swapping from bino rig to pack to just gun on chest no binos, it’s a lot of screwing around.
I ended up doing a kenai chest rig, and a razco pack mount. Much simpler and faster but more expensive.
Yea, I was wondering about that if they were interchangeable. But obviously not quickly. I'll have to put my pack on and see what/if I have room under my bino harness. Im thinking I wont. I'll have to put the pack belt holster and come up with some kind of other solution for when I drop my pack. Not sure I want to spend another $150+ on a separate chest holster

Kurts86

WKR
I think with a small chest that a Razco under a bino harness will end up feeling like a belly holster.

I think a Kenai chest holster under a bino harness is the most space efficient solution.

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I think with a small chest that a Razco under a bino harness will end up feeling like a belly holster.

I think a Kenai chest holster under a bino harness is the most space efficient solution.
Thats kinda what I was thinking. Just ordered my Kenai chest holster. Thanks everyone!

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I made the switch to the Kenai about six years ago from a belt mounted holster and haven’t gone back. The Kenai is perfect for me.

Crow

FNG
I recently purchased the Kenai for my XDM 10mm and I like it a lot. Very comfortable as a standalone holster when fishing in Griz country, and while on the 4-Wheeler around the ranch. It does fit behind my FHF Pro-M harness, but I find that it's easier to extend the Kenai shoulder strap so that it sits below my binos. It kind of ends up taking up the same area that the Razco would, but I like that it's not attached to my binos so that I can drop them (not literally) if needed. I have found that the Kenai fits really nicely behind the FHF chest rig with no issues. I also keep a paddle holster on my pack belt just in case I do want to go hip mount with the pistol. The paddle makes it easy to move from the pack to my pants and it weighs almost nothing (I use the IMI Defense retention holster.)

OP
C

CMS829

Lil-Rokslider
I recently purchased the Kenai for my XDM 10mm and I like it a lot. Very comfortable as a standalone holster when fishing in Griz country, and while on the 4-Wheeler around the ranch. It does fit behind my FHF Pro-M harness, but I find that it's easier to extend the Kenai shoulder strap so that it sits below my binos. It kind of ends up taking up the same area that the Razco would, but I like that it's not attached to my binos so that I can drop them (not literally) if needed. I have found that the Kenai fits really nicely behind the FHF chest rig with no issues. I also keep a paddle holster on my pack belt just in case I do want to go hip mount with the pistol. The paddle makes it easy to move from the pack to my pants and it weighs almost nothing (I use the IMI Defense retention holster.)
Good stuff. thanks! I have the sitka bino harness. Hopefully I can make it work. Maybe I'll throw my OWB holster in the pack for around camp. Just another thing to carry though.

MHWASH

WKR
I prefer a paddle holster that I can swap from pack to hip. That’s not an option now that I have the K4. On the last trip I used a holster on my bino harness. Worked just fine. I’ll continue to carry both a dedicated pack holster and bino holster. The holster on my bino pack also works for carrying my Spartan bi-pod.

Crow

FNG
I prefer a paddle holster that I can swap from pack to hip. That’s not an option now that I have the K4. On the last trip I used a holster on my bino harness. Worked just fine. I’ll continue to carry both a dedicated pack holster and bino holster. The holster on my bino pack also works for carrying my Spartan bi-pod.
In a pinch you can always make a sort of shoulder holster out of a paddle holster slid over the lower strap of your bino harness and kind of tucked between your arm and ribcage. I've done this with good results. YMMV depending on what harness you have, but I have made it work with the FHF and the AGC Ravus.