Have any of you thought who gets your stuff. Or do they even want it

KenLee

WKR
This is a main reason why I stopped having things taxidermied. I only do euro mounts anymore. Who the hell wants to deal with a ton of mounts that they didn't kill? Maybe one or two monsters but nobody wants ten or twenty shoulder mounts that were only significant to the person that killed them. Sell them to Texas roadhouse maybe 🤷‍♂️
Here in South Carolina, you can't sell them either. I give shoulder mounts to kids that are all excited over them. Tell parents to never bring mount back. Do whatever with it when the kid doesn't care anymore.

JDT1982

FNG
I have a Browning Sweet 16 that went from my Great Uncle (whom I am named after) to my Father and now to me. I have it in my will that it will go to my son. My daughter and son can divy up the rest of the guns and gear however they see fit.

Lively1

FNG
So been thinking about something for a while and was wondering if any of you are in the same situation.
Over the years I have got a decent collection of guns. Nothing super high end like a lot of you I am sure, but enough to keep me content.
Have a few different calibers and a few ill probably never use.
270-300WSM-243-6.5CM-35 Rem-couple 22s 12 ga shotgun-410 shotgun-couple hand guns.

With that said most of the rifles have pretty good optics with a couple Leupold VX6 a Leupold Mark 4. Vortex Viper PST Gen2 I just got.
This has got me thinking a little recently.
I am still new to hunting out west and there are some hunts I never see myself doing jsut due to cost and logistics.
I have 2 300 WSM one is a Supergrade gun. Dont ever really see myself using these two for much of anything.
Mainly deer hunt around home here and have been using the 6.5CM over my 270 for a while now.
Got the 243 to do a little predator hunting...Which i hardly ever do.

Now here is my conundrum.
A lot of these guns were gifts. a few from Family and a few from a really good friend.
I have 2 kids. My son is 16 and wants nothing to do with guns or hunting really of any kind. Its not that he dosent like the hunting thing or guns, its just not something he is interested in.
My daughter is younger at 11 and wants to do everything Dad does, dosent matter what it is.. if I was into bowling she would thing its the coolest thing.

With all that being said. If something were to happen to me, which at some point it will. What happens to all my guns.
Even if it is 20 years from now and my kids stay the same way they are now, what do i do with all the guns.

It has been something I have been thinking of just due to the fact that there really isnt much I need as far as another gun. Honestly the only other caliber I really would like to have is a 6.5PRC, which I want one, and if I got that I think that would pretty much do everything i would ever need or want to hunt.

So what do I do with the rest.
Do I get rid of some of these and buy myself a nice 6.5PRC and just keep with what I have mow.
I know its kind of an odd question. But with me getting older its something I have thought about a few times.

So been thinking about something for a while and was wondering if any of you are in the same situation.
Over the years I have got a decent collection of guns. Nothing super high end like a lot of you I am sure, but enough to keep me content.
Have a few different calibers and a few ill probably never use.
270-300WSM-243-6.5CM-35 Rem-couple 22s 12 ga shotgun-410 shotgun-couple hand guns.

With that said most of the rifles have pretty good optics with a couple Leupold VX6 a Leupold Mark 4. Vortex Viper PST Gen2 I just got.
This has got me thinking a little recently.
I am still new to hunting out west and there are some hunts I never see myself doing jsut due to cost and logistics.
I have 2 300 WSM one is a Supergrade gun. Dont ever really see myself using these two for much of anything.
Mainly deer hunt around home here and have been using the 6.5CM over my 270 for a while now.
Got the 243 to do a little predator hunting...Which i hardly ever do.

Now here is my conundrum.
A lot of these guns were gifts. a few from Family and a few from a really good friend.
I have 2 kids. My son is 16 and wants nothing to do with guns or hunting really of any kind. Its not that he dosent like the hunting thing or guns, its just not something he is interested in.
My daughter is younger at 11 and wants to do everything Dad does, dosent matter what it is.. if I was into bowling she would thing its the coolest thing.

With all that being said. If something were to happen to me, which at some point it will. What happens to all my guns.
Even if it is 20 years from now and my kids stay the same way they are now, what do i do with all the guns.

It has been something I have been thinking of just due to the fact that there really isnt much I need as far as another gun. Honestly the only other caliber I really would like to have is a 6.5PRC, which I want one, and if I got that I think that would pretty much do everything i would ever need or want to hunt.

So what do I do with the rest.
Do I get rid of some of these and buy myself a nice 6.5PRC and just keep with what I have mow.
I know its kind of an odd question. But with me getting older its something I have thought about a few times.
We put everything in a Trust . And name who gets what. Saves arguments and hurt feelings in the long run.

When my dad died I was named the admin for the estate. We gathered around the kitchen table and I read the will. About 3/4 of what was directed was of no interest by the recipients. Then we discussed who wanted what, divied up the items and I took the rest to the dump.

It was amazing how little the will meant to everyone. The only important item in the will was everything was to be split up evenly between my sisters and I. We worked out the details.

It helped that we got along.

Maki35

WKR
^ This is true. Been there, done that.
I’m not going to burden my family with my stuff. They can have dibs on whatever they want. But I plan on selling everything else before I go.
I’ve seen it numerous times where the family tries to sell their father’s knife/ gun collection because they have no interest in them.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
We just gave most of my in-laws shit to other hoarding family members, balance went to hospice support store and a landfill. Wife was joint tenant on accounts and house. Settled a couple outstanding balances. Not much drama just a big tax bill. It comes down to all your crap going in a dumpster. Have fun while you can.