Haulin’ Ass Backcountry: A New Game Retrieval Business in Montana

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Roksliders!

May name is Ward Butler. My business partner Seth Walk and I are excited to announce the launch of Haulin’ Ass Backcountry for the 2024 hunting season. We are a Montana based company that supports DIY public land hunters. We are authorized to haul out game under a special use permit within the Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest.

We also offer DIY gear rental packages (e.g., Garmin Inreach) for hunters looking to safely visit and thrive in the backcountry. Gear rental as opposed to purchase allows a person to explore remote public land hunting opportunities in Montana at a fraction of the cost.

Hunting in the mountain west on public land can be an overwhelming task. We help retrieve your trophy so this task doesn’t hold you back from going an extra mile up the trail. Using our experienced team of donkeys and mules (i.e. Asses) we offer peace of mind. So fo farther, hunt longer, and be more successful!

See you in the backcountry!

Ward Butler and Seth Walk
Owners: Haulin’ Ass Backcountry

Haulin’ Ass Backcountry

Let our asses get your asses out of the backcountry!

Follow us on Facebook at Haulin’Ass Backcountry and on Instagram @haulinass406

IMG_4582.jpegIMG_4573.jpegimage000001.jpeg

OP
Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Where are you guys based out of?
Hey Jon!

Thanks for reaching out.

We are based out of Bigfork MT, and Bozeman, MT. Either my business partner or I can be to the furthest end of our permitted area in a reasonable amount of time.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new sponsor, @Haulin'Ass Backcountry.

Eddie

P.S. When I saw your post it immediately made me think of Matt's Off Road Recovery except for big game.

OP
Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We have a large permitted area in the Helena-Lewis and Clark. Below are our covered areas.

Big Belts
Little Belts
Big Snowies
Little Snowies
Castle Mountains
High wood Mountains
Northern Crazies

OP
Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new sponsor, @Haulin'Ass Backcountry.

Eddie

P.S. When I saw your post it immediately made me think of Matt's Off Road Recovery except for big game.
Thanks, Eddie! We are excited to be able to share our business on this platform! We are looking forward to helping serve all of the DIY hunters that need our assistance in the Helena-Lewis and Clark this season.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Brilliant.

What’s the fee structure for recovery? By weight? By mile? Flat rate?

OP
Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Brilliant.

What’s the fee structure for recovery? By weight? By mile? Flat rate?
Steve,

Great Question! Our pricing guide is very transparent. Attached is our current pricing guide. You can also find it on our Facebook and Instagram site. The price you see on the list is the price you pay no matter where you are in our coverage area.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I am happy help!

IMG_4583.jpeg

IMG_4585.jpeg

OP
Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Was this the first Special Use Permit of this type for USFS? Great idea and best of luck

Hey Dave,

I do not believe we are the first. However, what we have found is that there are not many across the west in general that primarily focus on getting a DIY hunter out of the backcountry. From my own experience knowing that you have the ability to get out of the backcountry with your trophy helps to relieve the stress when planning your trip. Being able to get a little farther back, or if you are simply a solo hunter, lets you have an option that will allow you to get your trophy out of the backcountry with minimal chance of meat spoilage.

What cooler site could you ask for than your trophy being hauled out on the back of a donkey or a mule!

Last edited:
OP
Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Good Morning Roksliders

I have received a few messages about our services, pricing, and area we cover. Please see a few points below as well as our service and pricing guide. Archery season is right around the corner. If you need your moose, sheep, goat, elk, deer, bear, grouse, turkey, or prairie dog packed out, Haulin’ Ass Backcountry is your trusted source to get your trophy out of the backcountry.

Haulin’ Ass Backcountry Permitted Areas

1. Northern Crazies
2. Big Belts
3. Little Belts
4. Big Snowies
5. Little Snowies
6. Castle Mountains
7. Highwood Mountains

We can also cover anywhere in the state on private land where written permission is granted by the landowner per Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks rules and regulations.

**** Areas we cannot cover: Elkhorn Mountains and Gates to the Mountain Wilderness.

We love our veterans!! A 10 percent discount will be applied for active and retired members of the armed forces ( the service member is required to be the one that harvests to be eligible for the discount).

Please also watch out for special promotions for our service members this upcoming season.

All this information is on our Facebook page at Haulin’Ass Backcountry and on Instagram @haulinass406!

IMG_4583.jpegIMG_4585.jpeg

Last edited:

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Great idea, when I'm DIY I planning my hunt I'm distance restricted mainly on what I / we can safely efficiently haul out in a reasonable amount of time.

An additional concern is if you kill, it typically takes your hunting partner out of the game for 24 hours. This service could allow the remaining hunters to continue hunting and not lose valuable time.

Best of luck to ya.

OP
Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Haulin'Ass Backcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Great idea, when I'm DIY I planning my hunt I'm distance restricted mainly on what I / we can safely efficiently haul out in a reasonable amount of time.

An additional concern is if you kill, it typically takes your hunting partner out of the game for 24 hours. This service could allow the remaining hunters to continue hunting and not lose valuable time.

Best of luck to ya.
That’s exactly what we are here for! If you have your elk down and want to keep hunting you have that option! We will meet you at the harvest site or trailhead and get your trophy packed out. We can work with you to get your meat to a processor while you continue to hunt. This maximizes your time in the woods and increases your chances of further success!

Haulin’ Ass Backcountry

manitou1

WKR
Roksliders!

May name is Ward Butler. My business partner Seth Walk and I are excited to announce the launch of Haulin’ Ass Backcountry for the 2024 hunting season. We are a Montana based company that supports DIY public land hunters. We are authorized to haul out game under a special use permit within the Helena-Lewis and Clark National Forest.

We also offer DIY gear rental packages (e.g., Garmin Inreach) for hunters looking to safely visit and thrive in the backcountry. Gear rental as opposed to purchase allows a person to explore remote public land hunting opportunities in Montana at a fraction of the cost.

Hunting in the mountain west on public land can be an overwhelming task. We help retrieve your trophy so this task doesn’t hold you back from going an extra mile up the trail. Using our experienced team of donkeys and mules (i.e. Asses) we offer peace of mind. So fo farther, hunt longer, and be more successful!

Ward Butler and Seth Walk
Owners: Haulin’ Ass Backcountry

Haulin’ Ass Backcountry

Follow us on Facebook at Haulin’Ass Backcountry and on Instagram @haulinass406

View attachment 738985View attachment 738986View attachment 738987
Brilliant!
I wish you much success.

I know I would use it here in WY for elk!