Hatch or MDT Cykepod triple pull

Nate

FNG
One of my non-shooting friends laughed in my face when he saw my CKYE double lightweight and asked how much it cost and I told him $900.

They are so sloppy and noisy. Both on the adjustments and when you extend the

Perfectly said. The hatch is not bad. It’s amazing for its weight to height ratio and price. After running it for one NRL hunter match and using it at a local PRS match the flaws quickly were apparent.
What are the flaws with the Hatch bipods?

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
What are the flaws with the Hatch bipods?
1. It only has 2 width positions, narrow or wide. An in between would be very valuable. Frankly the all the way wide position is just too wide.

2. Cannot be adjusted while you are behind the rifle since you have to grab the thing at the bottom of the leg and pull down. This was the real killer for me.

3. Cannot be easily lowered since any leg besides the bottom will just collapse. So you basically need to fully collapse then re-extend or be very careful and know what you are doing to only collapse the bottom leg and no more.

4. A little tricky to unfold the legs since you need to pull them down then swing them open. This is usually not an issue but not totally ideal.

5. Can’t is limited, especially in the wide position. I had a big problem on a slanted rooftop.

Advantages:
1. Very easy to pull the legs out while holding the gun. And it is very quiet while you do it compared to CKYE.

2. Weight

3. Price

4. Total height

SDHNTR

WKR
1. It only has 2 width positions, narrow or wide. An in between would be very valuable. Frankly the all the way wide position is just too wide.

2. Cannot be adjusted while you are behind the rifle since you have to grab the thing at the bottom of the leg and pull down. This was the real killer for me.

3. Cannot be easily lowered since any leg besides the bottom will just collapse. So you basically need to fully collapse then re-extend or be very careful and know what you are doing to only collapse the bottom leg and no more.

4. A little tricky to unfold the legs since you need to pull them down then swing them open. This is usually not an issue but not totally ideal.

5. Can’t is limited, especially in the wide position. I had a big problem on a slanted rooftop.

Advantages:
1. Very easy to pull the legs out while holding the gun. And it is very quiet while you do it compared to CKYE.

2. Weight

3. Price

4. Total height
#1 a mid height setting would be nice, but it’s not my primary complaint.

#2 is a real frustration. The height adjustment is way down at the bottom leg section. You have to pick the rifle back up in order to adjust height. A serious pain if you’re already laying prone. You have to get back up, lift the rifle and break position.

#3 is an issue because it doesn’t lock into a height position securely unless you’re real intentional about it. You will think you have the height set right, only to put the gun/bipod down and have the weight of it sink the leg section back down.

#4 is my biggest gripe. The legs are attached to the head with a screw and a friction washer. The way the leg deployment works, it hinges on this screw. Dumbest design ever! In order to be able to fold the leg you need the screw loose enough, which means there’s a lot of slop. If you tighten the screw up to take out the slop, it’s so tight you cannot actuate the leg. The mounting screw and the actuation of the leg needs to be two separate elements, with a button, like an Atlas.

#5, cant on mine is a problem because the thumb screw thingy constantly loosens up on its own. Then it cants too easily and the gun flops side to side. Yet with the bipod attached to gun, you cannot tighten the thumb screw enough to firm up the cant without the plastic thumb screw tab hitting the stock. Gotta pop the bipod off, tighten the screw, then put back on. So dumb and annoying.

It’s just poorly engineered. But it’s the most versatile, especially in the $400 range. I have a serious love hate relationship with the thing. Why Hatch doesn’t make a 2.0 and fix the annoyances is beyond me!

Nate

FNG
#1 a mid height setting would be nice, but it’s not my primary complaint.

#2 is a real frustration. The height adjustment is way down at the bottom leg section. You have to pick the rifle back up in order to adjust height. A serious pain if you’re already laying prone. You have to get back up, lift the rifle and break position.

#3 is an issue because it doesn’t lock into a height position securely unless you’re real intentional about it. You will think you have the height set right, only to put the gun/bipod down and have the weight of it sink the leg section back down.

#4 is my biggest gripe. The legs are attached to the head with a screw and a friction washer. The way the leg deployment works, it hinges on this screw. Dumbest design ever! In order to be able to fold the leg you need the screw loose enough, which means there’s a lot of slop. If you tighten the screw up to take out the slop, it’s so tight you cannot actuate the leg. The mounting screw and the actuation of the leg needs to be two separate elements, with a button, like an Atlas.

#5, cant on mine is a problem because the thumb screw thingy constantly loosens up on its own. Then it cants too easily and the gun flops side to side. Yet with the bipod attached to gun, you cannot tighten the thumb screw enough to firm up the cant without the plastic thumb screw tab hitting the stock. Gotta pop the bipod off, tighten the screw, then put back on. So dumb and annoying.

It’s just poorly engineered. But it’s the most versatile, especially in the $400 range. I have a serious love hate relationship with the thing. Why Hatch doesn’t make a 2.0 and fix the annoyances is beyond me!
Thank you! I’m back to waiting for MDT to come out with something in between the lightweight double and the triple. I can’t just buy one just to buy one. My Harris will work again for the 30th season I’ve had it.

dster3

FNG
Funny enough - I'm helping a buddy out do some prototyping for his company. It might address some of the issues you mention with the hatch - this one has inverted legs. Middle position for width.

I'm unsure if he's even aware of hatch bipods, as he doesn't hunt. Let me ask if I can post a picture of it or might be spilling the beans prematurely.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Funny enough - I'm helping a buddy out do some prototyping for his company. It might address some of the issues you mention with the hatch - this one has inverted legs. Middle position for width.

I'm unsure if he's even aware of hatch bipods, as he doesn't hunt. Let me ask if I can post a picture of it or might be spilling the beans prematurely.
Would love to see it or even give some confidential feedback. If they are looking for someone to test it and try to break it count me in.

SDHNTR

WKR

Not to be a jerk, but why is a guy who doesn’t hunt designing a bipod?