Hatch or MDT Cykepod triple pull

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and thought the hatch was awesome but the more I use it the more I find it’s flaws. It’s very hard/impossible to adjust when you are behind the gun and has limited adjustment as well. The hatch ADM clamp does not fit Arca but I did swap an Arca clamp on to it no problem.

For hunting I always carry a tripod so I don’t really see a point in carrying either one. I have been using a spartan when hunting and will keep carrying that.

If I had to carry a CKYE Or hatch hunting I would take the CKYE because I just wouldn’t want to take the chance of the hatch causing me issues when I need to make adjustments it won’t do or needing to get off the gun to adjust it.

Nate

FNG
In regards to the $2k ckyepod comment - what guys are doing are buying two bipods. The double pull lightweight and the triple pull. They swap the heads from the lightweight onto the triple pull. LW head doesnt have the barricade stop, uses Ti hardware and a few other differences that I'm not certain on. Saving something like 6 oz or so, could be more.

I called MDT a month or two ago to ask about the triple pull weight and mentioned I was trying to make open light for NRL hunter with a triple pull. MDT employee told me to hold off on actually purchasing a triple pull if weight was a concern and sign up for their news letter, hinting there's a lightweight triple pull coming. I've heard rumors about a LW triple pull coming out in the competition circle.

For what its worth, I ended up purchasing a LW double pull (still on backorder) and plan to shoot off a tripod if i need the extra height, but I do have friends who hunt with their triple pull and dont plan to ever leave it at home.
Anymore info regarding the lighter weight triple?

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Anymore info regarding the lighter weight triple?
I have heard it is definitely coming but no clue when. I expect it will be out before NRL hunter season next year. Also excited to see the details on the new carbon stock they have been teasing.

Nate

FNG
I have heard it is definitely coming but no clue when. I expect it will be out before NRL hunter season next year. Also excited to see the details on the new carbon stock they have been teasing.
Thanks! I might just have to wait a year. I don’t mind spending the money. Just can’t afford to buy multiple options.

dster3

FNG
Thanks! I might just have to wait a year. I don’t mind spending the money. Just can’t afford to buy multiple options.
No idea when its to be released. "Soon" to a large company seems to be quite a lot longer than what I tend to expect "soon" means. But they have a lot bigger fish to fry than I do.

I'm working on a lightweight head adapter to the ckyepod. Same concept as putting multiple bipod parts together, but without needing to fork up money for two bipods. Biggest difference being this uses an ARMS17 pattern to give you different/more clamp options.

Should end up being an ounce lighter than the LW head at least using an AREA 419 clamp, saving about 5-6 oz overall from the factory triple pull. I have some other arca heads I'll try out with it, but I'm designing it around this specific clamp.

This is just a 3D printed version I printed up to test fitment, limited function. Currently working on an aluminum version to test it out.

1724689293738.png

Nate

FNG
No idea when its to be released. "Soon" to a large company seems to be quite a lot longer than what I tend to expect "soon" means. But they have a lot bigger fish to fry than I do.

I'm working on a lightweight head adapter to the ckyepod. Same concept as putting multiple bipod parts together, but without needing to fork up money for two bipods. Biggest difference being this uses an ARMS17 pattern to give you different/more clamp options.

Should end up being an ounce lighter than the LW head at least using an AREA 419 clamp, saving about 5-6 oz overall from the factory triple pull. I have some other arca heads I'll try out with it, but I'm designing it around this specific clamp.

This is just a 3D printed version I printed up to test fitment, limited function. Currently working on an aluminum version to test it out.

View attachment 755950
Nice! I honestly wish they would make the light weight double pull about 6” longer.

SDHNTR

WKR
The Hatch is a redneck engineered, garage derived, POS with many flaws. That said, it is functional enough and it's $400. The Cyke is $1000+. That the tipping point for me. I use a Hatch and cuss it every time I use it.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! I honestly wish they would make the light weight double pull about 6” longer.
I feel the same, the triple is a little excessive for most uses but if they would make that second pull have as much extension as the first it would be appreciated as well as maybe adding an inch to the length which would get you like at extra 3 maybe 4 inches in total height. That would make it tall enough to be able to use from a low seated position.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
The Hatch is a redneck engineered, garage derived, POS with many flaws. That said, it is functional enough and it's $400. The Cyke is $1000+. That the tipping point for me. I use a Hatch and cuss it every time I use it.
Perfectly said. The hatch is not bad. It’s amazing for its weight to height ratio and price. After running it for one NRL hunter match and using it at a local PRS match the flaws quickly were apparent.

Nate

FNG
I feel the same, the triple is a little excessive for most uses but if they would make that second pull have as much extension as the first it would be appreciated as well as maybe adding an inch to the length which would get you like at extra 3 maybe 4 inches in total height. That would make it tall enough to be able to use from a low seated position.
3 to 4 inches would help. But it seems like most of my sets for wolf hunting and coyote hunting, I’m facing downhill. The 25” Harris is about the perfect height But I hate that bipod.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
3 to 4 inches would help. But it seems like most of my sets for wolf hunting and coyote hunting, I’m facing downhill. The 25” Harris is about the perfect height But I hate that bipod.
Seems like there is definitely space in the market for someone to make a better version what exists today blending some of the good of the Hatch and the CKYE

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
One of my non-shooting friends laughed in my face when he saw my CKYE double lightweight and asked how much it cost and I told him $900.

They are so sloppy and noisy. Both on the adjustments and when you extend the legs.

SDHNTR

WKR
Seems like there is definitely space in the market for someone to make a better version what exists today blending some of the good of the Hatch and the CKYE
A Hatch, with Atlas type leg deployment would be just about perfect.

SDHNTR

WKR
One of my non-shooting friends laughed in my face when he saw my CKYE double lightweight and asked how much it cost and I told him $900.

They are so sloppy and noisy. Both on the adjustments and when you extend the legs.
A $900 bipod better not be sloppy or noisy!

Hell, a $400 bipod shouldn’t be sloppy or noisy either!

ChrisAU

WKR
I have a Ckye Lightweight double pull but recently got a Gunwerks Elevate 2.0 and greatly prefer it for hunting. I'll still use the Ckye for competitions, but I'm really impressed with the Gunwerks.

SDHNTR

WKR
I have a Ckye Lightweight double pull but recently got a Gunwerks Elevate 2.0 and greatly prefer it for hunting. I'll still use the Ckye for competitions, but I'm really impressed with the Gunwerks.
Can you sit and or kneel behind a Gunwerks?

SDHNTR

WKR
Sit yes, I practice with it sitting. You have to hunch a bit, but I do that anyway usually. Putting a pack in your lap and hunching over it can make a really stable seated position.
How tall are you?

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
That is a nice video from Matt. Gunwerks looks a lot better for hunting while the CKYE still seems easier to run in competition on the clock.