Has CWD affected your hunting plans?

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
With the prevalence of CWD growing on the western landscape, have you changed your application strategy? Do you have a point where you think you will? Say if the prevalence is greater then 20%?

With the prevalence of CWD growing on the western landscape, have you changed your application strategy? Do you have a point where you think you will? Say if the prevalence is greater then 20%?
It has. Not in the sense that I am worried about it, rather IFG is decimating the herd, so there isn't a point to putting in for the draw or hunting the whitetail season. Edited to add: in the newly minted CWD zones.

Lwarner03

FNG
No, I still hunt the same areas but many of them don’t have CWD anyways and the ones that do are just convenient for me I guess.

It will eventually. I only apply for my home state of ND. I have 9 points for rifle and muzzy there. They're currently passing legislation to restrict the NDGF from implementing bait bans and restrictions in certain units. In response, I'd almost guarantee the State will revert to the only management strategy they are left with and increase harvest drastically to bring down the number of deer on the landscape. It's very likely the number of deer tags available will be 1/2-1/3 of what they are today in a few years and there simply will not be any NR tags available.

I hunt a unit with an estimated cwd population of 30-50% in whitetails. Interestingly enough non that I've shot have tested positive, and no trail camera pictures or visual spotting of wasting animals have occurred.

I'm sure they are there, but we still have good age classes of bucks.

I think thinning the herd way down is a pretty silly idea. For all you know you could increase the % of cwd deer by leaving infected animals and having them mingle with the remaining deer.

It's been in Colorado for a long time and we haven't seen drastic negative effects so I don't know how much worry there really needs to be.
You can always send a test in to KState on your own to see if your animal was infected.

no, its just scrapies. Been in hot zone for a decade no issues

WKR
The DOW has issued hundreds of does tags for the last 8 years in my favorite unit. Its population is now down I'd say conservatively by 80% or more. I've never worried about cwd itself, but it has been sad seeing the herd shot away. This on the eastern plains.

Guess I'll have to start looking for another unit soon.

Stalker69

WKR
Yes it has, I don't get real exited to go deer or elk hunting much any more. Now I concentrate on antelope, and bird hunting for the most part.

OP
lyingflatlander

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, The thought came up after watching CO parks and wildlife 2 part video series on the topic. Couple that with all the new Non-resident license fee increases. Talk of reducing Non-resident tags… Sure seems less compelling to go out there for a good hunt, only to put your hard earned meat you just packed out in a secure dumpster when you find out it’s positive.
I was also curious to what is going on in other states. So thanks to those who responded!

Well, considering IDFG has killed a couple hundred deer (in order to thwart the spread of CWD) a couple miles from one of my deer spots, I’d say CWD has affected my hunting. Part of me thinks this is what they need to do to keep it in check but the other part of me is a little bummed I won’t have any deer to hunt there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoosker Doo

Lil-Rokslider
I usually put in for some extra whitetail tags for backup freezer fillers. My wife and I both shot bucks this last year and both tested positive. I decided I wasn't going to feed it to the family with a positive test, so they both went to the landfill. I don't think I'll be putting in for whitetail tags this year if I'm just killing them to throw them away.

OP
lyingflatlander

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
With all venison of various deer eaten every year in the US there has never been a case of a human contracting it from the meat they ate.
I’m not worried if I incidentally eat venison that has the prion in it either. In fact, I would be a fool to think I never have. But, that’s the power of choice. If I eat that animal during the course of a year I may think otherwise and have it tested. To each their own.

I’m not worried if I incidentally eat venison that has the prion in it either. In fact, I would be a fool to think I never have. But, that’s the power of choice. If I eat that animal during the course of a year I may think otherwise and have it tested. To each their own.
To each their own is exactly what I meant.
I don’t care what choice you make. It’s yours to make.

No, changes to my app strategy and hunting spots. I'm aware that CWD is out there and keep an eye for sick and emaciated animals but don't dwell over it. Nature's way of keeping the herd in check with the habitat carrying capacity. Hunters need to do their part and kill more big game.

Dented

WKR
Nope. If I see an obvious CWD deer I'll kill it. Got the local biologist number in my phone. Deer tags are cheap, I'll just go get another.

But I am more cautious about processing now. I don't remove the head.