Has anyone visited London?

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Sounds like she has decided to back out of the trip. We have kids 9 & 10 yrs old so leaving them here and traveling across the ocean made her decide to pass up the chance for now.

hammerguy

FNG
Sounds like she has decided to back out of the trip. We have kids 9 & 10 yrs old so leaving them here and traveling across the ocean made her decide to pass up the chance for now.

In that case, cant wait to hear about your NZ stag hunt! :cool:

ODB

WKR

Not an uncommon thing. Know people who, when they travel overseas without the kids, take separate flights.

hammerguy

FNG
Not an uncommon thing. Know people who, when they travel overseas without the kids, take separate flights.

I hope that's not for some sort of safety precaution, unless they also don't stay in the house at the same time or, God forbid, drive in the car together without the kids.

hammerguy

FNG
Yeah, something tells me that I might get the Bobbet if I tried to pull that off.
Bummer. I've been to NZ a few times, to ski and research penguins, but never to hunt. I've hunted red stag in Scotland though. Majestic animal.

ODB

WKR
I hope that's not for some sort of safety precaution, unless they also don't stay in the house at the same time or, God forbid, drive in the car together without the kids.

I make no comment on what motivates them; only that they do.

This is just my 2 cents but IMO of course you should go and really instead of bemoaning the trip, be happy you get to go see a different part of the world. Most folks can't do cool stuff like that for one reason or another. Your wife probably lets you go hunting and do stuff you like to do I'm guessing? You'll have alot more fun if you take a different view and try to just enjoy experiencing something different. Plus it gives you points for the next hunting/outdoors trip you have in mind.

There's more to life than hunting!

Funny to see this thread while thinking about my upcoming AZ hunt - we are headed to London for the first time this year at the end of December and watch the new years fireworks. Will do a couple tours, the Eye, Stonehenge etc. My girls are 10 and 12. Your kids will only be young once and its a great opportunity to experience something different. That said . . . I live in NY and avoid NYC. : )

ODB

WKR
Funny to see this thread while thinking about my upcoming AZ hunt - we are headed to London for the first time this year at the end of December and watch the new years fireworks. Will do a couple tours, the Eye, Stonehenge etc. My girls are 10 and 12. Your kids will only be young once and its a great opportunity to experience something different. That said . . . I live in NY and avoid NYC. : )

If you are going out to Stonehenge, keep going a bit farther and go to Bath too. The Roman Bath there is really, really cool. (Be sure to drink some of the water to say you did...) At 10 and 12 your kids will dig it. It’s a 10 minute walk from the station so you can do it in a morning. For a day, take one of the walking tours that starts at the church. To overnight, stay at The Henry. Owner is fantastic and it’s in a great location. Bath is a cool place.

London is alot like New York City in my opinion.....old, concrete jungle, tons of people from all over the world, urban, expensive, constant focus on how to get to your next waypoint, never in one place for too long...... but in London you will constantly be surrounded by people talking in languages other than the King's English.....and I'm not talking about Spanish or French..... I'm glad to have visited both on multiple occasions for educational purposes/historical appreciation, but if I had to pick between the two of where I would go, it would be New York City every time. Kind of like picking between getting kicked in the nuts or in the face. The last time I was in London was in 2006, so I can only imagine what it is like now.......

Last edited:

hammerguy

FNG
Londres that time of year is great. Check out the decorations on Oxford and Regent streets and the window displays on Bond street and over at Harrods. Dip into Purdey and drool over shotguns and double rifles.
If you haven't booked Stonehenge yet, try to organize one of the pre-opening inner circle tours where you get to walk in amongst the stones instead of just following the path around them.
If you need anything while down here in the desert don't hesitate to reach out.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been to a lot of places around the world including London, and it's not even close to one of my favorites. I'd go to the Persian Gulf before I'd go back to London.......just not my cup of tea. Not really a fan of Paris either.