Has anyone visited London?

aggieland

WKR
My wife is begging me to visit London with her mother and step father. He was raised in London, I honestly have 0% interest in going to a large city especially overseas while my kids are here. I'm not the type to worry about if something could happen but when is the **** going down. So, has anyone visited and should I go? And Yes, I want to please my wife so I am trying to get to straight in my head. Thanks for any advice.

Poser

WKR
Been a couple of times in the mid and late 90s. I’d see no real reason not to go in your case. Your wife wants you to go and sounds like you have a local tour guide who will hopefully show you some cool stuff and avoid the cheesy stuff. Plenty to do, see and experience for an inquisitive person.

ODB

WKR
Hell yes man. It’s a great place. Like NYC. We were there last March. Went to Bath for a few days and then the rest of the time we home-based in Kensington near Earls Court (and Freddie Mercury’s house) Get an Oyster card, load it up and hit the tubes. Great museums and great ethnic (not English) food. The best middle eastern food ive ever had. Tower of London was cool as hell. British museum- unreal.

I reject the happy-wife happy life bullshit though. But I think you should go because it’s (still) one of the worlds greatest cities.

Last edited:
OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
I'm sure I will go but I already told her I'm am not interested in New York in the least. Afraid London will be the same. If I'm spending $ I want mountains and low population.

tdhanses

WKR
My boss has gone a few times taking his kids over to either work or for a semester abroad the past few years, he is taking kid two there next week for a semester abroad. He doesn’t seem to feel it is dangerous.

Im the same way no desire to go to NYC but I will vist any European city in a heart beat. Lived in germany for 3 years and visited several city's. I disliked Paris but I wouldnt trade the experience for the world. Depending on when you go look up a hunting guide. Most places do two - 4 day hunts that are relatively cheap. I hunted in Scotland for roebuck at $400 a day and no trophy fees.

OP
aggieland

aggieland

WKR
Im the same way no desire to go to NYC but I will vist any European city in a heart beat. Lived in germany for 3 years and visited several city's. I disliked Paris but I wouldnt trade the experience for the world. Depending on when you go look up a hunting guide. Most places do two - 4 day hunts that are relatively cheap. I hunted in Scotland for roebuck at $400 a day and no trophy fees.

Wife wants to go the end of March.. A friend of mine who is much more well off financially than I am invited me on a stag hunt In New Zeland with him and his Father. Hotels and airfare paid but it looks like I will be seeing the streets of London instead of the mountains. Happy wife I suppose smh.

ODB

WKR

hmm...strange Eurocentrism here.

hammerguy

FNG
Great city. Lots of history. I've been there probably 50 times, maybe more.
Check out all the fine gun makers while you're there. Tower of London is great. Ride the giant ferris wheel. March is a good time too, tourists will be at a minimum. Embrace it, you'll enjoy.

I say you buy her best friend, mother ect the ride.
If you dont wanna be there most likely you'll be miserable and it will make her miserable.
Send someone with her and tell them to have fun.

eamyrick

WKR
Spent the summer in Europe in college in a free exchange program. A month in Northampton and 2 weeks in London. Not my favorite place but plenty to do (lots to drink.) Plenty to keep you busy for a week. My wife was dying to go to Ireland so I told her she should take her Dad. They went and had a great time. I hung out with the kids at home which was way better for me than going back again (if that gives you an idication of how much I liked it). It’s expensive and you will blow black shit out of your nose every night.

It’s a fun place.

Palace, tower, parliament Big Ben, wheel, Westminster abbey, St. Paul’s, Hyde park, 2-3 museums. Good place to try one of those hop on hop off busses to get a feel for the place.

Try pub food and pints at least once. I actually thought the ethnic food was the best. Indian, Ethiopian, etc.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Not London, but I took my family to Bristol, UK for vacation this summer. I’m like you and am not a fan of the big city. Bristol was really great. Still a pretty big city, but lots to do. We Also went to see Stonehenge and Bath. Took a trip through the Welsh country side and saw some castles. It was a great trip and my kids and wife had a great time. We did AirBnB and took Ubers, which really saved a lot of $$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Please explain?? How did anything i say have anything to do with Eurocentrism??

Preferring ANY European city over an American one you’ve never been to seems a bit Eurocentric, no? Why would any European city you’ve never been to be superior to an American city you’ve never been to? Please explain.

Phaseolus

WKR
Preferring ANY European city over an American one you’ve never been to seems a bit Eurocentric, no? Why would any European city you’ve never been to be superior to an American city you’ve never been to? Please explain.
For me it wouldn’t be superior, it would be a different enough culture to be very enjoyable. I’m guessing that is what was meant.

The plethora of cities I have visited in Europe have far surpassed the cities I have been to in the states. I have had the pleasure of also traveling to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East; of all of these continents (The US included), my time spent in the European cities has been much more enjoyable. It is the atmosphere, people, cleanliness, preserved history that makes it a unique and more enjoyable experience for those that do not see the appeal of the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple.

The plethora of cities I have visited in Europe have far surpassed the cities I have been to in the states. I have had the pleasure of also traveling to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East; of all of these continents (The US included), my time spent in the European cities has been much more enjoyable. It is the atmosphere, people, cleanliness, preserved history that makes it a unique and more enjoyable experience for those that do not see the appeal of the hustle and bustle of the Big Apple.

I've also got to agree with this. I've been to New York, Washington D.C. and all over the U.S. But this summer my wife and I went to Europe for five weeks and it was much more enjoyable then any of our U.S. vacations. Don't get me wrong I love the U.S. and living here, but Europe is awesome. I would much rather go back to Switzerland or Poland then to visit New York again. To the OP London is pretty cool with a ton of history. I agree on riding the London Eye, their history museum is unbelievable, and their are a ton of cool buildings and architecture to check out.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Terrible food and the exchange rate makes EVERYTHING, ridiculously expensive. How about having everyone meet in Spain, Madrid or Sevilla, or Italy, amalfi coast or northern Italy and have a great time, see great culture and eat great food.