Has anyone figured the best time to buy and sell a truck?

Elite

WKR
I am curious if anyone has figured out the best time to sell and buy vehicles and not loose a pile of money?

I currently own a 2018 f150 and it just hit 160,000km. It is paid for and seems like I can get a decent price for it still. So is it worth selling it and then buying something used again to get the money out of it? Or should I just keep it until higher mileage…

I have a secondary small suv I commute to work with and use for daily errands. So the truck sees only 15,000 km a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlleghenyMountain

Lil-Rokslider
Around here (Shenandoah Valley of Virginia) the best time to sell is now, assuming we're talking 4x4s. People are looking for older vehicles for hunting season and winter time (humorous considering the last couple of "winters" we've had). I've got a 2005 F250 regular cab I bought 11 years ago. I drive it less than 4,000 miles a year, I drive our old minivan to work most of the time. I'd say hold onto what you've got unless your current truck is giving you problems or your finances are better than mine. Trucks here are sky high price wise and are mostly just fashion statements that never haul anything but groceries and never leave a paved road.

Axlrod

WKR
It's a zero sum gain. If you are getting a "good" price, you will be paying a "good" price to the seller.
I buy a new Duramax every 3 years for work. The last one was when you couldn't get them. They gave me a really good price for mine, but I paid sticker price for theirs.

jimh406

WKR
I'd wait until at least the first of the year and hope interest rates go down more. I don't find it a good idea to get rid of perfectly good vehicles to get something similar. If you want something different (just because), that's fine, but it won't be a good money decision, ever.

Jimss

WKR
It certainly seems like used trucks, especially with low mileage are a hot commodity right now. New trucks are a premium price.

One of the few advantages I see with a buying a new truck if the one you have still runs ok is that the hybrids likely get a lot better gas mileage and new trucks have a longer list of posh accessories.

waspocrew

WKR
Hard for me to justify selling a truck paid in full just to upgrade. You'll definitely pay for the upgrade, but you'll have to decide if it's worth it.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Hard for me to justify selling a truck paid in full just to upgrade. You'll definitely pay for the upgrade, but you'll have to decide if it's worth it.

I don’t think I am looking to upgrade, More take the equity I have in this truck before it drops dramatically, then buy a older truck as I don’t drive the truck much at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TaperPin

WKR
Looking at total cost per mile, you should drive it until it’s time for the crusher.

Your truck is 6 years old and about to be 7.....it's going to drop in value by a lot pretty soon plus harder to sell so I would sell it while you can still get good money for it and then buy an even older truck in real nice condition and pocket some money, and that older truck will likely give you less trouble and it already depreciated about as much as it is going to so you won't be losing money on a continual basis.

You’re probably in the sweet spot of those trucks, if it’s a good truck and you like it you may want to do some homework. It should be an aluminum body so you won’t have to fight body rust, you’ve owned it and you know what it is. Used stuff is a total crap shoot, doesn’t matter what it is. You might cash out of this one and buy something older and pocket 10k, but odds are you will feed it back into what ever you buy a grand or 2 at a time. I run old used stuff and do my own work on them, but I’m looking at probably picking up something like what you have while a guy can still find them with decent miles because I’m not excited about the stuff that’s been built after that time period.