Hardwood camo ok or do I need mountain camo?

FNG Hunting Montana elk with a bow. I hunt whitetail in hardwoods and am wondering if that camo is ok for Montana elk hunting in September or do I need to buy different camo clothes?

Elkhntr08

WKR
I agree with Paul that camo pattern is not that important.
Most whitetail hardwood camo is cotton. In the mountains of Montana, cotton can kill you if the weather goes south, and it can happen in a hurry.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
The style of camo doesn’t matter. Maybe try to stick with lighter colored clothes in open grassy areas and darker clothes in the timber. Otherwise don’t overthink it.

SonnyDay

WKR
You're new here, so I'll offer a tip: According to Rokslide, no one kills elk unless they are wearing solids. :LOL:

But for real, the materials that make up your clothing are much more important than the pattern on the outside. As @Elkhntr08 noted, eastern clothing may not be up to snuff for the September Montana mountains.

If your hardwood pattern stuff is good for 33 degrees with driving rain and/or 0 degrees with heavy snow, you're all good.

Have fun!

Jaquomo

WKR
Yep. Camo pattern is the least important variable in all of elk hunting. I've called bulls and cows into within feet of hunters wearing blaze orange

OP
D
Thanks for the input, I’ll make sure I’ve got the right material and then it sounds like turkey hunting combined with whitetail with little movement and no stench.

Thanks for the input, I’ll make sure I’ve got the right material and then it sounds like turkey hunting combined with whitetail with little movement and no stench.

Stench, stink, sweat are all part of an elk hunt as is knowing what the wind/thermals are doing at all times. You can ignore one for days, the other, just for a second, and the sweat will continue when you’re trying to relocate elk.

kbincolo

FNG
yours is fine. I wear solid browns and dark greens. Getting winded and moving at the wrong time have given me away. Clothing has not.

cnelk

WKR
This was my archery elk camo pattern over 20 years ago - before archery elk hunting was cool.

IMG_3748.jpeg

Agree with everything here, layers, being able to keep still, and wind management are all more important than camo color

elkliver

WKR
There is a video out there with Jason Phelps of Phelps Game Calls, where he lost a bet.... Worth watching for anyone that thinks the pattern of camo really matters

Echoing the sentiment here, clothing material used over camo pattern. Wear what feels good and allows you to layer. I wear solids colors including grey.

Don't over think it, you don't need people camo, elk just don't care but camo is cool! (grin) Movement at the wrong time is key not camo pattern.

ElkNut
Agreed 100%. I don't care what camo I'm wearing. Movement at the wrong time will kill the encounter. I wear camo more for functionality. Whether wicking sweat or keeping warm, flexibility, weight savings, comfort etc.

Last edited: