Harder to pull the trigger?

Ray P

FNG
As a relative newcomer, I apologize if this has been discussed before? Lifelong outdoorsman here having harvested my fair share of game over 35 years, 4 whitetails this year alone already. Yesterday was different though, I took a good doe and suddenly felt guilt? While watching her body lay there while I continued to sit in stand, I contemplated her existence. Than tried to visualize a monster buck, but imagined him as a majestic beast? Has anybody else found it harder to pull the trigger with age? Is a PETA membership in my future? I hope not!

Here's just one opinion. There are folks that hunt and there are hunters. The hunter first has to learn to kill, he has to continue to kill to refine his skill but his kill needs purpose because he respects his quarry that has beaten him many more times than he has succeeded. This evolution happens over time and kills. The hunter needs the pursuit, the environment and the reward but he doesnt always need the kill. Some folks dont need the kill at all but value nature and conservation, they are not hunters. Folks that hunt do so for a variety of reason, some of them not always with the quarry's best interest or respect in mind. Each one of us has to find our own path and moving from hunter to conservationist is not a bad thing. I will do so if I ever reach a point where I no longer find purpose in a kill.

I’ve heard this sentiment a bit, on podcasts, IG posts, etc. For me personally, I’ve never felt guilt at taking an animals life. Quite the opposite, I feel an elation, sense of pride and accomplishment, of knowing I’m providing for my family. To me, the actual “kill” is such a small part of the whole process. I hunt for the adventure, the solitude, being in nature with as little ties to modern life and society as possible. I respect and love the animals that I hunt, for what they offer me and my family. I have a deep reverence for them and the wild places they call home. But I do not feel guilty for taking their life..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not in the least for me. I haven’t the faintest hesitations pulling the trigger at 50 years old. I pass shots for a variety of reasons like it’s too far to get the animal out or I’m feeling too lazy to clean something or it’s not mature enough but not from feeling bad about killing. I don’t mythologize or anthropomorphise animals either. I sometimes name cows being raised for beef but they’re names like Wrapper , Ribeye , Sirloin , or Hamburger and that’s just to make it easier to communicate with friends about which cow.

I will feel sad for the animals that I kill, but the main purpose for me is the meat they provide for my family. Of course, it would be cheaper to simply buy meat at the store, but I enjoy the harvest aspect of field dressing, processing, preservation, and preparation of game meats.

I have always felt a little guilt. I feel elation too, but I took a life of one of God's creations. Killing is a powerful thing and a huge responsibility. You actually took the last breath of that animal and changed the course of it's existance. I enjoy every part of the hunt, from planning to the actual hunt, to the kill, and finally butchering and food prep. I hunt so that I can commune with nature and beast, to be closer to natural creation and to be immersed in the shear perfectness and beauty of the natural world.

The taking of a life is a heavy, deep, reflective moment for me. I love the animals, I’ve read everything about animals since I started reading. The worst part of a hunt for me is the kill. The watching, stalking, learning about them is the challenge. The pulling the trigger is the least of the hunt to me.

I think a healthy dose of regret is normal for a large percentage of people. I remember a video of an aboriginal hunt, there is no hooping and hollering, jumping up and down. A moment of respect for their quarry, thankful for its meat that will provide for them.

I try to be as respectful as I can when it comes to the killing part. I also make a conscious effort to take it all in and reflect on everything. But that being said, I do not find it harder to kill. I’m 43 now so I would think if something was going to change it would have already done so. But I can totally understand where you’re coming from I suppose. I think we all mature, or evolve or whatever as a hunter and even a person in general. I’d say just do what you feel is right. It may be totally different next time.

If you don't feel a little remorse after killing an animal you probably shouldn't be hunting.

But it's a package deal.

If you don't feel a little remorse after killing an animal you probably shouldn't be hunting.

And I would say the opposite. I worship the Creator and not the created. God has given us dominion over animals, and the killing and eating is just part of that. There's nothing to be remorseful about. If anything we should be joyful, thankful, and reverent to the Creator for providing it to us, and allowing us to kill it......and I am, every time. But remorse never enters the picture. If it did, I shouldn't have been out there hunting in the first place.

Over 40+ years of taking dozens and dozens and dozens of deer I cant remember them all, so many elk Im starting to forget that number, add in other 'stuff' and you bet, there's definitely a 'heavy' feeling walking up to an animal you just killed for sure.

All I have to do is think about the grocery store meat process and I realize, God intended for us to be hunters and respect the animals we take.

I never hesitate on an animal I see worthy of taking. I would say I always have a flash of sadness for the animal only because they won't be around anymore to kick ass and do what they do. I never have regret or remorse. If I had those feelings, it means I probably should have let it go.

It's the main reason why I took up traditional archery 20yrs ago,now I harvest an animal every couple of years but enjoy the process of the hunt a lot more,just being in the woods and now sharing what I know with new people entering this pursuit.
Nothing makes me happier than seeing the face of someone that I help get their first Elk.

And I would say the opposite. I worship the Creator and not the created. God has given us dominion over animals, and the killing and eating is just part of that. There's nothing to be remorseful about. If anything we should be joyful, thankful, and reverent to the Creator for providing it to us, and allowing us to kill it......and I am, every time. But remorse never enters the picture. If it did, I shouldn't have been out there hunting in the first place.

Pretty much nailed how I feel.

I watch hundreds of animals die in the meat industry every month. Watching death just has no enjoyment for me, cow, pig, goat, lambs, bison, reindeer, elk, and yak on a regular basis.

I eat meat, so I hunt. I think killing an animal whether it’s a girls 4H pet in the slaughter house or a goat that’s never seen a human, there’s a little bit of awe and wonder in it.

I believe the creator put them here under our dominion, and so there shouldn’t be guilt. But the taking of a life is eternal, and to me that is heavy no matter the circumstance.

Back