6.5 Bull - The Comeback Kid

OP
jraehol

jraehol

FNG
Enjoyed the read. You do a great job storytelling!
Thank you so much for reading! I love to write stuff like this. So enjoyable to relive some things, this one not so much. A very difficult one to write. But thank you :)

OP
jraehol

jraehol

FNG
Really fine read, I admire your persistence. I also admire you for getting out there by yourself. My wife is my best friend and hunting partner. It's great see women enjoying the outdoors. Wish you could have found your bull sooner, but at least you know the end of the story.
Thank you so much for the kind words. Appreciate it!!
Solo hunting is not my favorite that's for sure, but is one of those necessary things to give myself as much time in the field as possible. I wish elk season was longer! Ha!
I'm with ya on that...I am still so glad I found him though, pure luck!

It is heartbreaking, but no animal goes to waste. Nature takes it back and someone lives off of that meat.

My first archery experience was this year. I hit a nice bull in the shoulder. Took me hours to figure out that’s what happened. I felt sick. I’m sure he survived because I found my arrow (hours later and nowhere near the blood line or place I shot) with 4” of blood on it.

Still broke my heart to just hurt such a great animal. It’s kinda weird and kinda humanizing that, as hunters, our goal is a quick kill. But wounding an animal feels so rotten. Causing death is preferable to causing suffering.

beginner

FNG
Everyone has lost an animal if they hunt have hunted long enough. Yes, it will stay with you, but will help you focus on the animals in the future. Nice write up on a sad subject.

OP
jraehol

jraehol

FNG
It is heartbreaking, but no animal goes to waste. Nature takes it back and someone lives off of that meat.

My first archery experience was this year. I hit a nice bull in the shoulder. Took me hours to figure out that’s what happened. I felt sick. I’m sure he survived because I found my arrow (hours later and nowhere near the blood line or place I shot) with 4” of blood on it.

Still broke my heart to just hurt such a great animal. It’s kinda weird and kinda humanizing that, as hunters, our goal is a quick kill. But wounding an animal feels so rotten. Causing death is preferable to causing suffering.
Absolutely!! Nothing ever goes to waste in the wild, I just wish he would've went in my freezer instead!!

Dang it! It definitely sounds like he lived, they are incredible creatures. Could you imagine being hit in the shoulder that penetrates 4" with an arrow!!?? I would lay down right there and die! Haha!

It is heart breaking and leaves you feeling like scum for sure. Keep at it! Time to redeem yourself next year!!!

CMF

WKR
Great story!
I'm not sure which states in the west you can legally use a dog, but dogs are amazing at recovering animals. I had a whitetail recovered with a dog that 6 of us walked within 10yds of the night before.

OP
jraehol

jraehol

FNG
Thank you for sharing. Been there and it is rough. Glad you worked through it and saw it to the end.

Jeremy
Thank you so much Jeremy! It is definitely rough, not something I would like to do again any time soon! Me too, I'm big on 'gut feelings' and I just had this nagging feeling that he was up there. Always go with your gut!!

OP
jraehol

jraehol

FNG
Everyone has lost an animal if they hunt have hunted long enough. Yes, it will stay with you, but will help you focus on the animals in the future. Nice write up on a sad subject.
Agreed! If someone boasts about being a hardcore hunter and spending tons of time in the field but never losing an animal, they are full of shit in my opinion. 😂
It definitely helped me on my next bow draw on an animal. So far so good now!

OP
jraehol

jraehol

FNG
Great story!
I'm not sure which states in the west you can legally use a dog, but dogs are amazing at recovering animals. I had a whitetail recovered with a dog that 6 of us walked within 10yds of the night before.
I am glad you found him! It is insane how they can literally burry themselves. I am in Idaho, I believe you can use dogs to recover but would have to double check the regs. I now have resources to a few people with blood dogs so if we are ever in this situation again I have someone to call!

barkdevi

FNG
This story is one that will resonate with me for my lifetime. The story that seems controversial to the non-hunters and hits close to home to a lot of hunters. The story that makes me sick to my stomach. The story that keeps me going harder and harder each year. The story that lurks in the back of my mind each hunting season. The story that keeps me coming back. The comeback story of a lifetime in fact.
a900fa_3f044242d5594853b6fc52566d3513ee~mv2_d_3024_4032_s_4_2.jpg

Steven and I started Way Up West Outdoors in April of 2019, we wanted to share our burning passion for the pursuit of wild things with the world. We vowed to each other and to our consumers that we would be transparent in our hunting endeavors. Sharing the good, the bad, the ugly, and the inevitable – failure. Sharing this story of the “6.5 Bull” is hard to relive and put out there for the world to see. But here it is…

September 3, 2017:
On my second solo hunt of the season I arrowed my first animal. After 1,000s of practice arrows and years of shooting my bow consistently, the repetitive work finally seemed to pay off. My bow and body appeared to mesh as one, running like a well-oiled machine.

I was patiently waiting for an elk - any elk - to give me an opportunity to put my hard-earned skills to the test. I was more than willing to settle for just about anything in elk form to not only notch my belt for my first archery harvest, but also my first elk. I went from rifle deer hunting with my dad when I was a teenager, to now my second year archery elk hunting on a general OTC Idaho tag. I had essentially gone from tee ball to the big leagues.

Solo archery hunting for elk is a difficult task all by itself. Add another ailment of only having one unsuccessful season under my belt and now you’ve got a tall order. Steven has a crazy rotating schedule and I work 3 days during the week, I wasn’t going to let the silly fact that he is at work stop me from trying to get my first elk. You can’t kill them from the couch! I had been tagging along on hunting trips my entire life, so I understood game habits and had engrained “where to shoot” from a young age. Feeling confident in my skillset I stepped out of my comfort zone and ventured out on my own.
a900fa_3f3157fea4bb46199fda3b45106bae5e~mv2_d_1932_2576_s_2.jpg

September in SE Idaho can have extremely temperamental weather. This particular year it was scorching hot at the beginning of the season. So, I chose to sit on water in a tree stand since I wasn’t confident with calls or navigating our new area quite yet.

They say a watched pot never boils, this seems to trend true for me and elk hunting. After watching and listening intently as the golden hour of morning seemed to fade away, I was kindly reminded by my stomach that I hadn’t eaten much yet. Digging around in my pack I scored a Cliffbar, I quickly and loudly unwrapped it. Taking a bite and cramming the loudest wrapper on planet Earth into my cargo pocket, I heard something cracking and popping directly in front of me. A roughly 600lb animal gracefully making its way towards me looking for a drink.

A beautiful bull emerged from the tree line, making a B line to the water I was sitting above presenting no shot opportunity. He drank, drank, drank, and drank. Minutes of drinking which in turn meant minutes of me gazing at him and all of his beauty. Bow in hand I waited, it had to be perfect. I had decided he was a 6 ½ point bull. I couldn’t tell what had happened to his left side, but I didn’t care, I wanted him. He was unique, different, and incredibly majestic. I imagined he would exit the way he entered which wouldn’t present a shot for me.

Making an audible after his long drink, he walked himself directly into my shooting lane. In the moments of hearing this bull just above me in the trees to having him under 20 yards within minutes I found myself calm, cool, and collected at full draw. Patiently waiting for my perfect opportunity, I picked my shot placement and waited for what felt like an eternity.

As I let my arrow rip through the morning air it was all over in the blink of an eye. Spinning around after my arrow had made a complete pass through - the exit hole was money. He vanished in a second running through the thick aspen trees breaking every branch along the way.
a900fa_b3430379d2714703aeded3a4b73adf21~mv2.jpg

Alone in the woods my bow dropped to my side in relief as I listened for only a few seconds to finally hear my bull crash to the earth. All I could think was - I did it. I hadn’t harvested an animal in 8 years. The long awaited anticipation of this moment poured out of me like a faucet. Something I had been dreaming of since my teenage years.

Beaming back to reality I remembered I was alone, and I was going to need some help. Steven and I had made hypothetical plans if I were to harvest an elk while I was solo, all of it depending on time of day and where about I was on the mountain. Knowing the temperature was climbing as the minutes went on, I had to make the call and make it fast. I crawled out of the stand, shaking with adrenaline I decided to make my own audible. Instead of hiking 25-30 minutes back to the truck, driving 20 minutes to cell service, making a phone call, waiting at least an hour to an hour and a half for help, hike back into where I shot him and THEN begin tracking, I set out to make the time frame of recovery shorter. I hiked out of the canyon and went straight up the ridgeline until I got enough service to get a phone call out.
a900fa_e4e24067954b478f978e5b6bb1c4da4d~mv2_d_2320_3088_s_2.jpg

After a few phone calls, I rallied my troop of one amazing brother in law! He was just as excited as I was and on his way to help. We both agreed with the rising temps, and it being 40 minutes since I had arrowed the bull that I should hike back in and begin tracking – alone. If I found him, I needed to open him up to begin cooling the meat. If I ran into a snag or lost blood I would hike out and wait for him at the truck.

Recovering my arrow exactly where the bull spun, I started down the dual sided blood trail snaking through the thick trees. I had never tracked an animal on my own before, but it seemed too easy until the blood completely shut off. Running into a dead end I followed the plan, hiking out and getting back to the truck just as Earl pulled in. Hustling back into the canyon, racing the clock I took him back to where it all went down. We quickly celebrated my “dead bull” and ran through the blood trail. Winding up back at the dead end, it was still just that.

The dead end blood trail shut off at the edge of an enormous clearing. This clearing had waist to chest high sagebrush covering it. With one short antler on his left side it would make it nearly impossible to see antlers sticking up. Travel routes out of the clearing were endless which was daunting. After spending hours on our hands and knees to turn leaves and twigs we were finally heading back in the right direction. More help including my sister, in-laws, and one of our great friends showed up to help with the pack out. We searched high and low with no elk to show for it. A series of unfortunate events lead us back to camp at dark - empty handed.

Trying to remain positive in this situation was nearly impossible. With the peak heat of the day being around the mid 80s I knew my meat was just spoiling. Sleep that night was also difficult. Replays of the shot streamed through my head until the next morning. I picked everything I could think of apart - what failed, where did it fail, did I fail, or was it a fluke? I shot my bow at camp to ensure nothing had happened to my bow or sight, it was dead on. Unable to blame equipment I directed it right at myself. They say we are our toughest critic; this couldn’t be truer in these dark hours of guilt and blame.

CONTINUED IN COMMENTS :)
Jess and her hubby are going to make it to the big leagues very soon! So much passion for the outdoors!

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Great write up and kudos to you for telling it even though it didn’t quite go as planned. Not many would have the courage to tell it. Well done!!

Hey_Bear

FNG
Well written story, thanks for taking us along. Elk hunting has its emotional highs and lows...worst part for me is after the shot and before the animal is found.

Glad you found your closure.