Hard Shell Options

OP
txtransplant

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
@mtwarden did you look at the Patagonia Houdini as well? OGL seems to think it’s the bees neez.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
@mtwarden did you look at the Patagonia Houdini as well? OGL seems to think it’s the bees neez.

I own two that I use in the "summer" backpacking/day hiking, too light of fabric for hunting imo, but otherwise a good windshirt :)

I also own one of the military Patagonia Houdini's- that fabric is suitable for hunting- they are just hard to find anymore

Regardless of where you land on a hardshell, you're missing out on a killer CO layer not having a really breathable windshirt. I always pack one and a raincoat. A hard shell is only useful as a wind shirt in conditions way beyond what a wind shirt is good for. Any time you're moving and working hard on the cold a WS is gonna be attractive bc it attenuates the wind just right to evaporate sweat w/o getting you chilled. As long as I'm keeping the effort level up a WS plus base layer plus light insulating layer will keep me comfy into the 20s even in howling winds. A wind shirt is imo just about the best thing you can own in the mtns.

Seeknelk

WKR
You say you don't want rain gear but you want a hardshell? I guess to me, a hardshell IS a rain jacket. Did I miss understand your post? Anyway for myself, I mostly agree a hardshell and good insulation is all you need. If day hunting, sometimes a softshell is invaluable tho if not so pressed for weight and space. When I'm going to be busting snow covered brush and alders and stuff then a softshell fits the bill for me.
But to your point. A hardshell that's tough to beat is the kuiu chugach rain jacket. Just the most breathable , functional rain gear I'VE found yet. I can't climb to much in it without sweating thru but thats a bit much to expect.
For a totally different route, take a look at red kettle shell jackets. They are interesting.

OP
txtransplant

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
@Seeknelk obviously I wrote the post in a confusing manner, because lots of readers think I’m trying to ditch rain gear. I’m not.

I’m trying to ditch the soft shell.

If I can use a single waterproof Hardshell in lieu of carrying a soft shell AND rain gear, that’s what I want to do.

For now, I’m going to try ditching the soft shell and putting a wind shell over a heavy mid layer (KUIU Strongfleece 280).

Definitely have eyes on the KUIU Chugach rain jacket as well.

Seeknelk

WKR
@Seeknelk obviously I wrote the post in a confusing manner, because lots of readers think I’m trying to ditch rain gear. I’m not.

I’m trying to ditch the soft shell.

If I can use a single waterproof Hardshell in lieu of carrying a soft shell AND rain gear, that’s what I want to do.

For now, I’m going to try ditching the soft shell and putting a wind shell over a heavy mid layer (KUIU Strongfleece 280).

Definitely have eyes on the KUIU Chugach rain jacket as well.
Gotcha. You can certainly do that. And for what it's worth, I just ordered a custom windshirt from timmermade. (Couldn't find one big enough elsewhere) I'll post about it after I use it a bunch. He has a new fabric I'm going with..

feanor

WKR
You say you don't want rain gear but you want a hardshell? I guess to me, a hardshell IS a rain jacket. Did I miss understand your post? Anyway for myself, I mostly agree a hardshell and good insulation is all you need. If day hunting, sometimes a softshell is invaluable tho if not so pressed for weight and space. When I'm going to be busting snow covered brush and alders and stuff then a softshell fits the bill for me.
But to your point. A hardshell that's tough to beat is the kuiu chugach rain jacket. Just the most breathable , functional rain gear I'VE found yet. I can't climb to much in it without sweating thru but thats a bit much to expect.
For a totally different route, take a look at red kettle shell jackets. They are interesting.
Have you tried the red kettle shell? Seems maybe like a neoshell type product. Looks cool. And if they use them in Scotland it probably works pretty well.

jd1006

WKR
FIlson Reliance is the ticket. Soft shell quiet, hard shell performance. Can find them for under $200. It’s NeoShell.

I think that waxed canvas is very underrated in a daypack scenario.

feanor

WKR
I’ve been eyeing the reliance but that collar is making me hesitant. It seems super bulky. Maybe not a deal breaker though.

jd1006

WKR
It doesn’t bother me. I like that you can stow the hood vs just having it always out. A removable hood would be ideal, but that just adds another fail point.

Seeknelk

WKR
Have you tried the red kettle shell? Seems maybe like a neoshell type product. Looks cool. And if they use them in Scotland it probably works pretty well.
No I haven't. I'm talking about the cotton shells. Sounds like they do amazing stuff. Not waxed I don't think so anyway

S.Clancy

WKR
I have a RAB wind shell and a Mammut Crater. Windshell for when there is not much precip forecast, Mamnut Crater for when the heavens open. FYI, Mammut Crater is very similar specs to Arcteryx Beta SV for about 50% the cost...