Hard bolt closing on brand new tikka

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
So my buddies son just bought a new 7mm08 tikka. Bought several boxes of Barnes vortex ammo. It is hard to close the bolt on that thing. I went down and shot it after they were telling me about it.
I own 3 tikkas and have never had any of those issues. This all just happened an hour ago so not a lot of problem solving yet. First I was going to bring my tikka 08 down there and see if I had trouble closing my bolt. I was going to bring my calipers and check the rounds.
But what do you guys think is wrong? I often hear of chambers tight but tikkas? I’m thinking the ammo?

OP
coast range

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I have been googling since. Like I said I just went down there to see what was up. He just had a brand new rifle that’s being picky. I told him we will figure it out

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
I only ever had this issue with some Hornady ammo, tikka and a M70 were the rifles. 243 and 270win. After resizing non issue. And didn’t experience anything odd or concerning after firing the factory rounds.

OP
coast range

coast range

Lil-Rokslider
It’s shooting pret
How did it shoot?

How close to Eugene, if I may be of assistance?

P
its shooting pretty good good but just stiff bolt close. I tried 2 different ammos and they both were tight.
I marketed up one of his rounds and chambered it. If you look close you can see a mark on the shoulder

Attachments

• IMG_6058.jpeg
    IMG_6058.jpeg
    118.3 KB · Views: 61

Macintosh

WKR
It’s almost certainly the ammo. Try a different brand or batch of ammo and it should be fine.

Last edited:
It’s shooting pret

its shooting pretty good good but just stiff bolt close. I tried 2 different ammos and they both were tight.
I marketed up one of his rounds and chambered it. If you look close you can see a mark on the shoulder

Did you try the ammo in your Tikka?

I have a couple Tikkas in 7mm-08, if he’s close to Coburg I might could help.

P

NE Herd Bull

Lil-Rokslider
I can report he exact same occurrence.

Bought a slightly used Tikka 7-08 to set up for a young hunter.
Mounted a scope on it.
Just to see how it would shoot, I picked up a single box of HSM factory loads from the local vendor.
Memory serves they were from the "Low Recoil " product line.

Bolt would not close on that ammo.
I also marked up the ogive and shoulder,
Compared to your included pic, I noted very similar marks on my rounds.

Ordered some basic Federal loads, and they chambered just fine. Gun shot lights out in fact.

I had similar issues with the 150-eldx factory ammo in my T3X stainless light 7-08. I could not close the bolt on about 2/3 of the rounds. Every other ammo I have used worked fine. I did not try to diagnose the problem as there were other rounds that shot well in the rifle.

magtech

WKR
You could measure the chamber and compare it to specs. Only times i have ever had a bolt hard to close were :
Brass too long (that one was hard to tell initially)
Shoulder not bumped far enough
Jamming bullet into lands

If there isnt an obstruction issue, and the bolt closes easily without a round in, I would try to measure the chamber and see how it compares to what it is supposed to be and go from there.