Hanging quarters

Scrappy

WKR
Been seeing lots of posts over the years on folks struggling to hang meat. Now my way ain't the only or may not even be the best way but I definitely don't have to struggle hanging quarters.

Before I even start cutting up my elk I get my hanging pole rigged up. Takes all of ten minutes. I carry a https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWw
It can even be used to skull cap the antlers if you so desire. I find me a good stout limb long enough to go between two trees. Tie up as high as I can then throw my cordage over it. Tie a slip knot in it and pull tight. Now cut the cordage the right length to hang the meat from with another slip knot in it. Now just leave the slip knot noose loose. Repeat this six or seven times until you have a hanging pole all set up to receive your game bags. Now as you approach your game pole with a heavy game bag all you have to do is let the noose slide over the end and the weight of the bag will pull it tight. You never have to pull on the cordage and try to tie it off or struggle at all.

What other tips and tricks do you guys use to help with heavy meat bags?

Attachments

• 20210917_153241.jpg
    20210917_153241.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 129
  • Screenshot_20230305_074300_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_074300_Photos.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 131
I do almost exactly the same thing. I just don’t do the slip knots. I tie my paracord to the game bag or hind leg. Carry it over to my pole and throw the cord over once then twice. Lift the quarter with one hand and pull the cord with the other and then tie off when it’s gets high enough. Wrapping the cord twice around the game pole allows it to bite into the wood and hold the quarter in place so when you let go of the quarter you won’t be fighting the weight. 3431A222-D458-453D-9100-A1B95EF9E96C.jpeg

A reference for all of us old guys. I carry a two pulley block and tackle with parachord. I pick a couple trees about 6-8 ft apart and set a 4" pole at about 4 ft off the ground with baling twine or parachord. Then I get up on that pole and set another pole about shoulder high.

Then I fix the block on the upper pole and hoist the quarters up to the upper pole. It's easy to tie them off by yourself while the pulley system is holding them.

Once everything is fastened then remove the lower pole and set it aside until retrieval.

If you pick your trees with overhanging limbs, you can limit bird problems.

Taudisio

WKR
These do not seem high enough to me. We try to get it at least head height. One trick of you just have paracord, get the line taut, tie a loop about hip height and put your foot in it. You can lift with your arms and use your weight to assist with your foot. A coyote could snack on your meat if it’s only 4’ off the ground like a meat piñata. Much easier for a bear or wolf or lion. Pee around the tree and leave a piece of clothes on top. It’s not an easy task, but I hunt for meat and I’d rather let the wildlife eat the horns than my red gold! When you get to the truck, hang your meat pole where you can back under it and use the truck bed, or your car bumper to make it easy.

JPD350

WKR
Dyneema cord, lightweight blocks, carabiner....4oz in my pack, hoists anything
So do you need 4 or 5 of those set ups to get all the bags of meat in a tree or do you set it up in a way that you can just you one set up?

Idaboy

WKR
No, I just use to hoist and then tie off if by myself...or use it to move animal when by self. I don't hunt in griz country so I don't try to hang that high.. I guess you could use 2 set ups to hoist a whole pole if you needed...it's just my light weight set up for hunting, camp etc. It seems like they never die "where you want them", so it's not a perfect set up, but at least I know I can get it up and hanging to cool off

Beendare

WKR
I'm with ya WapitiBob.

To get those quarters out of a bears reach they have to be 10'-12' off the ground. If a bear wants to get at it, he can....

I too have laid sticks creating a grid 6" off the ground so air can flow under the meat without hanging....then we cover with pine bows so the birds can't find it so easy.

cnelk

WKR
I’ve also layed quarters on logs overnight. Along with a sweatshirt
I left them late at night and was there at daybreak.

What works for me is all that matters

6896A3C0-5FEA-4985-B44E-A196C5F80EE7.jpeg

Taudisio

WKR
I don’t think you could get meat away from a bear. I mostly do it for coyotes and to make it more effort for wolves or bears to get to the meat over the carcass/entrails. I see far more coyotes than wolves or bears anyway. I was always told, “you don’t eat blackberries below your waist.” I want my meat well above that!

I can acknowledge conditions. I hang at about 10 ft. That covers our abundance of cats, coyotes and wolves. However we are right on the edge of the growing grizz boundary. We start with snow between the third week of August and September. If I cut bear tracks, out comes the climbing spurs and everything goes up. Elk are damn hard to come by and it will be a cold day in hell before I lose one to laziness.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
60 yrs in our camp….there ain’t no griz anyway snow took my cabin.🤣 we have never lost any to critters knock on wood with some left many days before packed out…leaving a shirt or some piss likely helps🤣 with wolves these days you never know…griz another story and blackies never been issue. the one with pops hung a week in late October 2000..meatpoles =🤙…hanging by myself used to be fun now hmmmmm🤣

Attachments

• 34D14E8B-3336-4E0B-A901-F6BAD6EDAE62.jpeg
    34D14E8B-3336-4E0B-A901-F6BAD6EDAE62.jpeg
    668.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 0F773CBF-2B90-4CE5-97B6-BCA535218CC5.jpeg
    0F773CBF-2B90-4CE5-97B6-BCA535218CC5.jpeg
    238.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 991A18B4-5A9C-481E-8770-048CE23A9193.jpeg
    991A18B4-5A9C-481E-8770-048CE23A9193.jpeg
    411.3 KB · Views: 57

z987k

WKR
If we're at base camp, I hang it if trees are available, bushes and sticks for airflow if not. Either way, it has the electric fence around it.