Handheld thermal monocular advice

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for advice on a handheld thermal monocular scanner. I have a box blind overlooking a grassy area. I think it would be fun to sit up there at night and try to spot rodents and shoot them with my .22. I have a NV scope on my gun, so I'm more looking to spot potential targets with a thermal scanner, not identify what they are. How much money do I need to spend to get something that'll work out to 150-200 yards? I was looking at the AGM taipan tm15-256. Would something like that work?

taskswap

WKR
I got a Pulsar Axion on a deep discount a few years back for coyotes but rarely use it. It's a ton of fun at first but for me ended up being more of a gimmick and I haven't had it out of storage in years. But I can tell you it worked fine if you're looking for brand options. It's twice the price of the TM15 but also twice the resolution if you care about that. I can tell a skunk vs a raccoon several hundred yards away. When we camp the kids would have a good time spotting things to look at around dusk...

WCB

WKR
I've used Pulsar Axions for Coyote hunting and would recommend them.

Samson7x

WKR
Detection and identification are two different things so just keep that in mind. With a 384 unit, you should be able to ID rabbit vs raccoon within 100yds or so. Further once you are able to see them move. How an animal moves will be just as useful in determining proper target.