Handheld radios for the mountains

kyleds8

FNG
What do you all think is the best radio system to communicate within a party in the mountains? I am concerned that line of sight won't cut it.. What has the best range? I do not have a HAM license, but based on Chas Carmichael's review on Rokslide, GMRS systems have come a lot closer to amateur VHF radios? Any recommendations on durable, water-resistant radio systems with good range they would be much appreciated! GMRS, HAM, or other? How big a deal is it to use VHF radios without license?

I carry an extendable antenna to track the dogs, so detachable antenna would be a plus.

Many thanks!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
What do you all think is the best radio system to communicate within a party in the mountains? I am concerned that line of sight won't cut it.. What has the best range? I do not have a HAM license, but based on Chas Carmichael's review on Rokslide, GMRS systems have come a lot closer to amateur VHF radios? Any recommendations on durable, water-resistant radio systems with good range they would be much appreciated! GMRS, HAM, or other? How big a deal is it to use VHF radios without license?

I carry an extendable antenna to track the dogs, so detachable antenna would be a plus.

Many thanks!
A HAM license is easy to get. Just get one. You will know a lot more about radios and get more use out of them. All VHF is radio line of sight. There are ways around thay, get a HAM and you will have a good idea of what questions to ask and where to start.

just.mark

FNG
The amount of repeaters that support ham radio and there ease of use make it the way to go. My jeep club now requires all members to have a HAM liscences and we always have comms and many of us use $30 handheld Chinese radios.

Coldtrail

WKR
Regardless of what you choose for frequencies....make sure you can afford to lose it, I have tethered mine all sorts of ways and tried keeping them in my most secure pocket but still often find I left another offering for the radio gods, so I don't go crazy on $$$ for portable radios.