Hand held GPS vs OnX Hunt

Firehole Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
1) Gaia;
2) iPhone;
3) Garmin inreach explorer+; and
4) Laptop computer at camp for viewing Google Earth at camp at night. Get your area on Google Earth where you are hunting when you still have internet service and it will still be there when you are at camp w/o internet service.

The Garmin is really only to send text messages to the loved ones when out of service which is shortly after I leave the interstate.

FURMAN

WKR
The GPS is more reliable period. Mapping systems on smart phones are very convenient and better in most case WHEN they work. Hunt long enough with them side by side long enough and you will know what I am talking about.

JohnnyB

WKR
At the beginning of last season I was carrying my garmin 64st along with onX on my phone because I had too many issues with onx crashing. Over the course of the season my onx issues resolved by using the app only in airplane mode on saved maps. I also purchased an inreach mini.

I no longer carry the 64st with onx chip and use my phone. I have onx and Gaia maps and use both. The mini is for family and urgent work issues along with the hopefully unlikely need to catch a choppa.

I suspect within 10 years an app will make the inreach obsolete.

Brendan

WKR
I suspect within 10 years an app will make the inreach obsolete.

Not possible for an app on its own, the difference is satellite communication hardware.

Now, if iPhones and Androids start coming with Satellite communication chips embedded, or if we get satellite based LTE coverage, that's a different story...

I have both and always bring both. I use my smart phone most of the time though for reasons stated above, better view/picture quality of maps, camera and for those times you get a few bars I can text my family and friends. Some don't know you can save hunting areas for offline use so when you dont have coverage it still works, but you have to save your area for offline use. The GPS doesnt work off cell towers its works off satellites. I know, common sense, but some dont know. There was an instance my phone was lagging and i was second guessing it, pulled out the Garmin and bam, we go this way. I like to use my phone but will always trust my garmin. Look at the posts above and for the most part theres a trend for some sort of back up to their phone.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I use both. I take the god with me as a backup but also as it has text capability as I’m out of cell range when hunting. The ONx will give a bit more detail and pins IMO and has been able to locate animals based on terrain and geographic contours based off imaging and foliage.

I hunt mostly Backcountry. So for me I feel GPS is more reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5 miles wide - high resolution
10 miles wide - medium resolution
100 miles wide - low resolution

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk