Hamskea Rest

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question for the guys shooting this rest. I've lost a few arrows trying to get used to it, here's what happens.
These light arrows don't always fall down to the bottom of the holder, sometimes when I draw they move up the side and if I don't watch and get it down all the way... Off into the rhubarb they go! Is there a way to stop this!?? Or I'm changing to a quad or rip cord.

Thanks for any help!?

Sounds more like your getting nock pinch if you’re arrow is moving up the launcher blade. I would check for that first before trying to switch rests.

This. Lighter arrow is going to be affected by nock pinch more than a heavier arrow. Ive got probably 10k+ shots on 4-5 Hamskeas and never had this problem. Quick fix, and back to shooting.

OP
mnhoundman

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Ok I'll check that out thanks!
Would be nice if you can flip it up so you start in the valley. It lays flat so if you're off to one side it doesn't want to fall down to the bottom.

MattB

WKR
Ok I'll check that out thanks!
Would be nice if you can flip it up so you start in the valley. It lays flat so if you're off to one side it doesn't want to fall down to the bottom.
You are very likely dealing with nock pinch, and you would have some variation of the issue (upward pressure on the nock/arrow through the draw cycle) no matter what rest you use. No point in changing out the accessory that has nothing to do with the problem. That would be like changing out your truck’s motor because the transmission started to slip.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I would also bet you have nock pinch.
For a test, you can remove your field point to take weight off the front of the arrow and then draw back slowly. The arrow should not lift at all as you draw. May be easier to watch if you release tension on the activation cord for the rest so the launcher is up the whole time. The arrow should stay on the launcher for the whole draw.
Of course, do not shoot the bow without the tip on the end, just let back down. The arrow would be too light also and it would be like dry firing the bow.

OP
mnhoundman

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at it closer as I draw, I think it seems if I tilt my bow so the arrow is not right in the center when I draw it doesn't always slide to bottom where it should be?? Like the felt kinda holds it from sliding down?? Idk. If I draw perfectly straight it's fine, but thinking about a hunting situation if it's not on there straight from the beginning it might not slide down where it should be. Thanks for the tips!

Just spread your d loop out just a touch. Bet it solves your problem. Or you can find smaller nocks, but that would be the expensive route to take.

devinhal

FNG
I agree with others that you might have some nock pinch. Another thing to think about is having too high of draw weight. If you aren't able to draw the bow keeping it vertical, then you might want to drop the poundage a little so that you can make a smooth controlled draw during a hunting situation. One last option is to remove the felt if you are thinking it is part of the issue. Our overmolded launchers are designed so that you can shoot them without the felt and it will still be quiet during the draw. We include the felt just in case someone really want's it out of habit.

OP
mnhoundman

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with others that you might have some nock pinch. Another thing to think about is having too high of draw weight. If you aren't able to draw the bow keeping it vertical, then you might want to drop the poundage a little so that you can make a smooth controlled draw during a hunting situation. One last option is to remove the felt if you are thinking it is part of the issue. Our overmolded launchers are designed so that you can shoot them without the felt and it will still be quiet during the draw. We include the felt just in case someone really want's it out of habit.

I think the felt could be some of it. It lays so flat that when I draw if it moves off center a bit, once and a while it doesn't slide down to the middle. The quad I had on my last bow had no choice but to be in the bottom. I liked that, probably just a learning curve to. I'll keep messing with it. Thanks

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I have a question for the guys shooting this rest. I've lost a few arrows trying to get used to it, here's what happens.
These light arrows don't always fall down to the bottom of the holder, sometimes when I draw they move up the side and if I don't watch and get it down all the way... Off into the rhubarb they go! Is there a way to stop this!?? Or I'm changing to a quad or rip cord.

Thanks for any help!?
Sounds like nock pinch and def check the cord that secures it connected to your limb. Over time they will loosen and not allow your flapper to move out of the way in time causing accuracy issues. Otherwise, its been a great rest.

I don't think the lightness of the arrow should matter much. How light are your arrows? I have been shooting hamskea for 5-6 years and not experienced what you are talking about. I think maybe once have I had that. Last year I shot a TAC even with 370-380 gr arrows which were the lightest I have ever shot and didn't have the problem you are experiencing. The tilt of your bow when drawing can matter a little, but it seems you would have to tilt quite a bit to keep the arrow on the edge, especially if it starts centered.

Last edited:
OP
mnhoundman

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think the lightness of the arrow should matter much. How light are your arrows? I have been shooting hamskea for 5-6 years and not experienced what you are talking about. I think maybe once have I had that. Last year I shot a TAC even with 370-370 gr arrows which were the lightest I have ever shot and didn't have the problem you are experiencing. The tilt of your bow when drawing can matter a little, but it seems you would have to tilt quite a bit to keep the arrow on the edge, especially if it starts centered.
I'll have to take a look. Is it supposed to stand up a bit so the arrow starts in the middle? Mine is flat so it can move around when drawing

OP
mnhoundman

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
Not to sound like an a-hole, but everyone’s already told you the answer, it’s not the felt, or the angle of your bow, it’s not even the rest, check the back end of your arrow dude…🤦‍♂️
Yeah so you don't need to tell me then do you!!
I don't recall telling anyone they were wrong either. Just figuring it out

Tilzbow

WKR
I’ve been shooting Hamskea rests for about 15 years. All the things you point to happen; rest lays flat, arrow moves to the side before the draw begins, I have felt on the launcher arm, etc. Rest works as designed and arrow always settles in the middle of the launcher arm by the time I reach full draw but don’t have nock pinch that causes the arrow to rise and have never had an issue with an arrow launching into oblivion.

So, nock pinch is what it is in your case. Check out Dudley’s videos on YouTube on how to tie in nock sets and the string loop and do that.

Hoot

WKR
Just figuring it out
Honestly, if you dissect this problem, post, and responses with a discerning mind, there is a really big nugget of information that will help you, and anyone else, “figure it out.”

Throughout the entire shot process, what has the most opportunity to affect arrow flight?

The nock/string connection. You want to make sure there is little to no nock travel (especially lateral, IMO), as well as ensure the nock releases from the string cleanly and consistently.

Assuming a plum bow, in spec, a lot of time and heartache would be saved if people started troubleshooting at the back end of the arrow first…

OP
mnhoundman

mnhoundman

Lil-Rokslider
I do have plenty of room there I have checked that's why I'm thinking it's just hanging up when I don't start straight, and I realized it doesn't have the guide on the riser to hold the arrow in the center where it should be. Sorry for wasting your time, and I won't ask anymore questions here. It's ok

Thanks to the folks who were willing to help though!