half marathon running shoes

gwl79902

WKR
I just signed up for a half marathon on dirt trails. I have run a lot over the years and have found that I like very flexible shoes. I have a pair of minimalist shoes that I workout in but they have no cushioning. I am 46 and feel that I need some cushioning. I was thinking of invo 8 or nike free. any advise on models or other brands would be appreciated.

I also have read about zero drop shoes and do not understand the concept. I had/have planter f. and need to be careful not to get hurt again. I find that very flexible shoes help to keep my feet pain free

Shoes are built with specific stack heights and typically the heels are higher than the forefoot. In a zero drop (ramp from heel to forefoot), both forefoot and heel are the same height. Standard shoes are 10-12, most minimal shoes are a 4. If you train on trails, Innov8, Saucony Kinvara, Nike Terra Kiger, or the New Balance 110 all sound like what you're looking for. I personally don't like zero drop shoes, 4mm is as low as i go.

Hope this helps.

And don't use the Nike Free as your primary running shoes, my 2cents worth.

bz_711

WKR
Huge fan of Brooks Pure shoes...for the trails I believe it would be their Pure Grit shoe. My wife and I have multiple pair of the Pure Flow and Pure Cadence for road running...just got into running in 2012, both trained for and ran our first Marathon that year - neither of us having any blister or foot issues...I am hooked.

But it all comes down to personal fit and confidence...Good Luck!

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
Unless the trails are technical, you would most likely be fine running in whatever shoes you normally run in. I have run a local half marathon 3 times, twice in normal road running shoes with no issues (used brooks pure grit this year). The trails around my house are dirt single track with occasional roots and rocks. What shoes do you normally use?

Lawnboi

WKR
After running in brooks pure series for a while I got my first pair of inov8 shoes a month ago.

edit: I would highly recommend the brooks pure grit shoes if you want some cushion and a little less than minimal shoe. Great shoe, farily light, and (the older version I have) has some pretty good grip on off road terrain.

I got the flite 195s.

Favorite shoes to date. Very minimal even compared to other minimal shoes I've worn. A little cushion, very flexible and very laterally flexible. Solid sole is great and though I've yet to use them outside the sole compound is such a soft rubber I can feel them gripping in the gym. I dont care for other minimalist shoes that leave holes in the sole like you see in many manufactures.

The flites are marketed as a crossfit shoe, bit it has a good fairly deep tread pattern that I will be using for dirt or gravel trail running come spring.

I don't run long distances much, usually keep it around 5 to 8 miles.

Also with the inov8 shoes I recommend weaning yourself into them if your not used to truly minimal running. I've run in some of the other companies minimal shoes and it still took me a bit to get used to the inov8 shoes. They are extremely flexible and offer basically no support. Though I can only speak for their lower drop shoes, it seems that minimal running is something they incorporate into all their shoes, and I must admit, after running for a good bit in them, I really enjoy running in minimal shoes.

Now I want a pair of their x talon or trail roc shoes for sloppy trail runs and jogging ski hills

Might want to add what your running in now. If you are going to drop to a lower heel drop shoe you will want to transition to it as jumping right into long distances with low drop shoes can result in injury. I do like my minimalist shoes though, I'm sticking with 3mm of heel drop for now but will likely get a 0 mm shoe for gym and trail use my next time around.

Last edited:

time killer

Lil-Rokslider
I'm using the innov8 f-lite 230 for crossfit. It's a 4 degree drop I think. I can run short distances for now in them. But don't know if I'll ever be rid of my Asics for the longer stuff.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Checkout the trail-roc series from innovate. A comfortable trail shoe that's pretty lightweight with great tread. I think the F-Lites aren't going to be up to the task of a trail half unless you're really used to minimalist style shoes. That and they're not really built as a running shoe much less a trail runner. Especially if it's a particularly rocky course where bruised feet are common with sharp rocks and thin soles.

The Brooks Pure Grit were very comfy too but I didn't like the tread as much, it felt slick when on muddy wet terrain. I think I had the first generation and they've since changed the tread to something that looks much better. Not quite a minimalist shoe and not thick like you're running on a sponge, they're a good compromise.

Chad

Lawnboi

WKR
Just because the f lite is considered a crossfit shoe doesn't mean it's not a running shoe. In fact the flite was originally a trail crossover shoe. There is nothing special about it for lifting besides that it's very minimal. And it is very up to the task for running on a variety of surfaces

As a matter of fact they have more bite than my old pure grits, dose not look so in pictures but ithe f lites have some good tread on them.

The best thing about inov8 is that they have varying heel drops, as well as cushion options in almost all of their shoe ranges. Allowing you to get a little more cushion and heel drop if you desire something a little more traditional. Most of their shoes are very bare bones though, and very very flexible.

Not trying to argue just putting some info out there. I plan on getting a pair of trail roc 150s or possibly the lower drop talon for when the trails are steep, slick or muddy.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
Just because the f lite is considered a crossfit shoe doesn't mean it's not a running shoe. In fact the flite was originally a trail crossover shoe. There is nothing special about it for lifting besides that it's very minimal. And it is very up to the task for running on a variety of surfaces

As a matter of fact they have more bite than my old pure grits, dose not look so in pictures but ithe f lites have some good tread on them.

The best thing about inov8 is that they have varying heel drops, as well as cushion options in almost all of their shoe ranges. Allowing you to get a little more cushion and heel drop if you desire something a little more traditional. Most of their shoes are very bare bones though, and very very flexible.

Not trying to argue just putting some info out there. I plan on getting a pair of trail roc 150s or possibly the lower drop talon for when the trails are steep, slick or muddy.

I agree it's a great crossover/crosstraining shoe, and I've used them for Crossfit. But the guy specifically asked for something with more cushion, and the fact is the F-lite doesn't really fit that bill.

I run quite a bit on the trails and if you're looking for something specifically for trail running than there are better options. And inov-8 has many options in trail shoes, I even ran my first 50 miler wearing the trail-roc 245. Not trying to knock inov-8 at all, they make great shoes.

Chad

I regularly run 8-15 miles for training, my longest run being 25 miles and 6,000 foot elevation gain. I love trail running and getting out in the mountains. I have had weeks that I have run 70-80 miles. I have found that my body feels better with minimalist shoes than with thick padded running shoes. I have worn nike pegasus and lunar (thick padded) as well as countless other running shoes in the past. Once I converted to minimalist shoes about 2 years ago, I never looked back. I use either vibram five finger spyradon (or something like that, the trail running version) or Merrell trail glove (barefoot shoe). I found wearing shoes with less padding forces me to run with proper form and reduce my pounding which in turn makes my body feel better and has significantly reduced my injuries. I find the more padding my shoe has, the lazier my form is, the more I heel strike and I am far more prone to injury. Just my 2 cents. If a padded shoe makes you feel better, then go for it. Just food for thought