“Half Day” Pack

hunterjmj

WKR
Check out the Kifaru Minikeg. It's just about the right size for what you're looking for. Tripod and a Nalgene will fit in the side pockets and everything on the inside is easy to access with the full length center zip. It has a spot for a bladder but 15's fit in that spot perfectly. Good luck finding that perfect pack.

You mentioned a MR hip monkey, give a Kifaru Daystalker a look or one of the fire fighting packs from MR. I have used both for shorter day trips and they haul everything you listed with ease.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a SG Sera and thought it was just a little small for my needs as a day hunting pack; the Avail better suited me.

Use it as a stand alone with its amply padded shoulder straps and belt or strip those off and use in conjunction with their frame.

It also makes a great winter day hiking pack- can strap skis or snowshoes to it (ice axes/avy shovels too).

Strip the belt off and you can use it as a carry-on flying

JStol5

WKR
There’s a stone glacier 2800 in the classifieds for $485. Pretty good deal

Citizen

FNG
I like my Hill People Gear Aston 3 for a lighter non belted pack, the harness is comfortable. I much prefer my Kifaru Hellbender as it’s more comfortable but I can understand not wanting to cinch it all down.

492slayer

FNG
I use a Kuiu Venture 2300 as my main day pack (All my hunts are day hunts as I stay at a friend's house in the middle of the unit I hunt) or a Divide 1500 if I want to go light. For heading out the backdoor to work a close ridge, I might just take my bino harness with the small bag that mounts to it. The 2300 would fit a spotter, tripod and all the other gear and be ultra light.