Hairline cracks on B&C stock

My friend picked up a second-hand Savage 110 7mm rem mag with a B&C stock.

After further examination, he noticed some hairline cracks in the stock near both the recoil lug and tang. It's too late now to do anything about his purchase and he overlooked this at the time.

Wondering a few things:
-How much of an impact on shot-to-shot consistency would this have? I'd imagine it would be significant...
-Is there any way to repair this? The stock is bedded.
-Suggestions for replacements? How crappy are the factory Savage takeoffs?

Thank you for the advice!

EDIT - Is this worth reaching out to a few gunsmiths to see if they could open up the cracks and fill with epoxy?? Would this be feasible?

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Are the cracks in the stock or the bedding?

You can get Savage Accustock takeoffs pretty cheap (Numrich or others), but may need to change the recoil lug for it to fit. Accustocks are decent overall for a plastic factory stock.

Jeremy

OP
nettereo16
Are the cracks in the stock or the bedding?

You can get Savage Accustock takeoffs pretty cheap (Numrich or others), but may need to change the recoil lug for it to fit. Accustocks are decent overall for a plastic factory stock.

Jeremy
Cracks are in the stock, just barely visible on the exterior.
It’s an blind mag staggerfeed so the Accustock would need some modifications to fit. I did see some stocks on Numrich that would fit though

87TT

WKR
I had a B&C on my '06 that has a crtack in it by the tang and some missing material by the recoil lug. Shot for crap compared to the way it used to. I took it off and put the old wood stock back on and it's back to driving nails. I may try to drill and bolt the wrist where the crack is and rebed the recoil lug or just keep the wood stock on it. The B&C stock was on it through 35 plus hard years of hunting.

Wapiti1

WKR
Cracks are in the stock, just barely visible on the exterior.
It’s an blind mag staggerfeed so the Accustock would need some modifications to fit. I did see some stocks on Numrich that would fit though
The Carbelite stocks are a chopped glass in a foamed resin that is pressure molded. It takes epoxy bedding well, and can be repaired using fiberglass repair techniques with epoxy resin (I wouldn't use polyester resin on one).

To use an Accustock on a staggered feed, you remove the staggered feed mag box, and convert to either the hinged floorplate or detachable magazine. The easiest is the detachable mag since parts can be found. Finding hinged bottom metal for a Savage is a challenge, and it's a heavy unit. If you ever want to convert back to staggered feed, you just put the mag box back on the action.

Jeremy

Decker9

WKR
If you’d like to fix your stock, depending on the cracks, I know guys would drill a small hole into the crack, poke some epoxy in it then use a pin/dowel of the same or close to the same diameter and push it into the hole, which forces the epoxy into the crack. Sometimes the dowel stays in there, then gets covered/coloured over. Just an idea.

OP
nettereo16
Is this worth reaching out to a few gunsmiths to see if they could open up the cracks and fill with epoxy?? Would this be feasible?