Guys that drive a long ways to hunt, what are your less common(but important) pieces of gear/tools you're sure to keep in the truck?

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
We leave in 2 weeks to head to Montana for our elk hunt. Its 400 miles to my friends house, then another 2040 miles to Montana from there. I'll put every bit of 5000 miles on my truck the last 2 weeks of September and first week of October. Our last trip in 2022 was smooth sailing with only stops for fuel and food.

My Tundra has a small lift and bigger tires and it dawned on me this morning, I should probably have a plug kit and small compressor available on such a long drive. I pretty much always have basic hand tools and a few power tools in my tool box, but those are two things I dont keep on hand that could really save a lot of time and hassle if the need were to come up.

Anything else that ya'll have taken that you were glad you did? I hate over packing, but I also like to make sure I'm covered.

Obviously have a great packing list, but it's primarily focused on gear, clothes, etc. Not so much emergency situations.

The tire plug thought I had this morning has me pondering if theres anything else I should keep in mind on such a long haul from home.

Fullfan

WKR
Been doing it for the last 30 years, Western Pa to Idaho 2200 miles on way. For years we pulled old trailers, always took spare hub assembly's and lots of tires. Times have changed, now tow a new 24' enclosed trailer. Two spares (Tires) and bottle jack. You never know what you will encounter on the trip. Most of us have 3/4- or 1-ton newer Diesel trucks, we always throw in 10 gal of fuel. ND can be a long way between stations. Headlamps come in handy several times.

We leave in 10 days.

Blake_08

FNG
We take a couple out of state hunting trips every year, and I had never thought about plugs and an air compressor until this years turkey hunting trips. Turns out, on the first year I've had this stuff with us, we woke up one morning to a flat tire with a nail hanging out of the tread. A quick plug and air up and we was up and running. Closest tire shop to us was 1.5 hours so it definitely saved some headache. I bought a 18v Ryobi and just brought several hot batteries. Worked great.

As mentioned above, the little jump boxes you can buy for $50 bucks on amazon would be well worth having if you don't already have one.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
On some of the new trucks, they don’t have cigarette lighters anymore. My Chevy has 120 V outlets I need to bring an adapter now to use my air compressor something to confirm before you head out.

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
On some of the new trucks, they don’t have cigarette lighters anymore. My Chevy has 120 V outlets I need to bring an adapter now to use my air compressor something to confirm before you head out.

My '23 tundra still has both, but I prefer using the 120V outlets it has

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Have a couple compressors but didnt have a jump box. found this neat little contraption for anyone else that may be in the market. Seems like it could be good for an emergency, always-in-the-tool box device

rayporter

WKR
shovel-my first trip we were using hub caps to clear snow
an electric drill or driver to remove lug nuts.
for removing flats on a trailer i always carry a couple of boards to run the good wheel up on so i dont need to get a jack out
now days i always take an electric chain saw

HunterW.

FNG
Im in a similar situation and have a 4000 mile trip. We will keep a box with a Bubba rope w/ soft shackles, noco jump pack, tire plug kit, Dewalt tire inflator, small chain, basic hand tools. I also will have a chainsaw, shovel, gas can and a good spare tire.

H@mstar19x3

Lil-Rokslider
We leave in 2 weeks to head to Montana for our elk hunt. Its 400 miles to my friends house, then another 2040 miles to Montana from there. I'll put every bit of 5000 miles on my truck the last 2 weeks of September and first week of October. Our last trip in 2022 was smooth sailing with only stops for fuel and food.

My Tundra has a small lift and bigger tires and it dawned on me this morning, I should probably have a plug kit and small compressor available on such a long drive. I pretty much always have basic hand tools and a few power tools in my tool box, but those are two things I dont keep on hand that could really save a lot of time and hassle if the need were to come up.

Anything else that ya'll have taken that you were glad you did? I hate over packing, but I also like to make sure I'm covered.

Obviously have a great packing list, but it's primarily focused on gear, clothes, etc. Not so much emergency situations.

The tire plug thought I had this morning has me pondering if theres anything else I should keep in mind on such a long haul from home.
My first thought was tire plug kit and compressor. I offroad and do not trailer my rig. Onboard air and tire plug kit.

OP
C

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
IBUPROFEN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont go anywhere without ibuprofen haha

They're terrible for you but I also keep an emergency supply of Prednisone due to recurring tendonitis I've had for years and/or to knock out any small respiratory infection fast if needed.

ODB

WKR
I got a nasty blowout on my tundra last year and the only place I could pull over was rocky as hell. I had just cleaned out the truck and like an idiot removed the moving blanket I usually keep in there.

A rear flat on a tundra does not leave you much room underneath and I was scrambling and cursing those rocks as I set, reset, and set again the damn jack.

Take a moving blanket.... they are multi-use and indispensable for stuff like this.

fmyth

WKR
Cut off the cig lighter end and install alligator clips so you can connect the compressor directly to the battery. I've seen a few melted cig lighter outlets in vehicles.