Gunwerks Clymr Stocks Went on a Diet

Sevens

WKR
For anyone who’s a fan of the Gunwerks Clymr component stock, they revamped their process and stocks are coming in at 26 ounces or so.

Just got two delivered and I’m super happy with the overall fit and finish along with the weight savings over the original Clymr stock (about 10 ounces saved). Original version is 36 ounces, new version is 26 or so ounces.

Attachments

• IMG_9534.jpeg
    IMG_9534.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
Can you show a picture of the inletting? Haven’t they changed how the stocks come? I got one two years back or so that had a mini chasis in it. I think that has changed and they now come with pillars?

OP
S

Sevens

WKR
Still has an aluminum chassis in it. Bulk of the savings seems to have come from removing the “filler” material within the butt and forend.

I opted for their bottom metal on both builds.

Attachments

• IMG_9547.jpeg
    IMG_9547.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 213

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
What did you have them inlet for? Mine was a Defiance. Required a little filing for bolt release. Also had to open up the barrel channel just a little for C6 Sendero contour over the proof it was made for.

OP
S

Sevens

WKR
Both are defiance Anti. If you don’t see the contour barrel you need, give them a call, Chris at Gunwerks was very helpful finding the right contour to use.

SDHNTR

WKR
Still has an aluminum chassis in it. Bulk of the savings seems to have come from removing the “filler” material within the butt and forend.

I opted for their bottom metal on both builds.
It does? I thought it was pillars. But now that I read their site again it does mention “bedding block”.

mjspeers

Lil-Rokslider
I think maybe I remember reading if it’s not their bottom metal it is pillars. Their bdl is fantastic anyway so unless you had to have bottom metal id go with theirs.

eoperator

WKR
I’m going to call tomorrow and see about a group buy for a tikka inlet. Please use the Like button as an “I would be interested” tally for us. I’ll also ask about a factory Arca section or spartan adapter forward of the magazine.

-J
Arron addressed this in a podcast (dont remember what one), he thought it would be pushing the limits and it was not high on his priority list unless there was a large pre-order to make it worth his time.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Yup trying to generate and quantify that pre-order size. I could also go for flat tops and a contract with LRI.

-J

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Arron addressed this in a podcast (dont remember what one), he thought it would be pushing the limits and it was not high on his priority list unless there was a large pre-order to make it worth his time.

I know what you are saying is true. However. I still have hope one day.
Ill just on the group order faster then a fat girl and cake.

PaulIV

FNG
Thanks. I was hoping the website was quoting a longer lead time than actual delivery but I guess that’s pretty standard these days.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Spoke with Mitch this morning.

Key Takeaways:

1) Old foam supplier found out they were a gun manufacturer and stopped selling to them (California). This drove the change to the new lighter foam and process.

2) Caught in the midst were 80 stock component orders, each of which needed to be hand fit by Gunwerks, at great time and expense.

3) Per Mitch, it's not worth ordering a stock (even in an inlet they advertise) until the process is refined and the backlog is worked through.

4) There's plenty of internal interest at Gunwerks in doing 25 Tikka inlets but they can't give a time due to this backlog.

5) There is potential for us to buy 25 flat-tops at a bulk rate and then send them to Chad at LRI to fit to an example Tikka and then drop-ship to members from there. I don't know how this would effect the bedding block mechanics, but I know that Chad does exceptional stock bedding work from buying 7 rifles from him.

Please let me know in reply what you think of the flat-top idea and what your price ceiling would be. I can't imagine it would be less than 600 to inlet/bed/paint plus the flat top cost, shipping, and incidentals.

-J

amassi

WKR

Key Takeaways:

1) Old foam supplier found out they were a gun manufacturer and stopped selling to them (California). This drove the change to the new lighter foam and process.

2) Caught in the midst were 80 stock component orders, each of which needed to be hand fit by Gunwerks, at great time and expense.

3) Per Mitch, it's not worth ordering a stock (even in an inlet they advertise) until the process is refined and the backlog is worked through.

4) There's plenty of internal interest at Gunwerks in doing 25 Tikka inlets but they can't give a time due to this backlog.

5) There is potential for us to buy 25 flat-tops at a bulk rate and then send them to Chad at LRI to fit to an example Tikka and then drop-ship to members from there. I don't know how this would effect the bedding block mechanics, but I know that Chad does exceptional stock bedding work from buying 7 rifles from him.

Please let me know in reply what you think of the flat-top idea and what your price ceiling would be. I can't imagine it would be less than 600 to inlet/bed/paint plus the flat top cost, shipping, and incidentals.

-J

In for 2 flat tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
The problem with tikka is they often require a different mold, not just an inlet. We have seen this with McMillan, manners and lately AG. I know LRI will build up the rear of the stock like manners did before offering the new eh1, not sure if the bedding block would even be a thing at that point.

Too much risk for me on an expensive might work stock. And given what I heard on the podcast I can’t see them making a mold to sell a few tikka stocks.

BjornF16

WKR

Key Takeaways:

-J
I’m interested in the flat top. I’d also like to see if Chad could do my Sako M85 SM as well

Sounds like we're talking $1300+ for a tikka flattop? I'd really like one but tempted to just wait and see what KRG might come up with for a lighter bravo style chassis.