Gunsmith time estimates and etiquette questions

OP
maninthemaze
No transfer needed if he already owned the action, only needed on new action/gun purchases.
I think the FFL paperwork is just for the shipping part. I sent him my barreled action, so he can send it straight back to me. It was a hassle sending it to him. I had to convince my postmaster that it was legal. Long story.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
There is nothing fishy with this smith. And no I am not defending that he is late. I know him form friends. If a shop or smith keeps your action over 24 hrs they have to log it in there books etc. There ffl paper work does have to be correct. Basically just paper work BS on there part, but still has to be done.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had to convince my postmaster that it was legal. Long story.

I just shipped some inherited guns to a FFL here from another stated to legally receive them, I had a similar hassle. The workers don't seem familiar with the affidavit process and refused to do it, I had to go to the main branch where a postmaster approved an employee to proceed (who was also trying to deny shipment).

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is nothing fishy with this smith. And no I am not defending that he is late. I know him form friends. If a shop or smith keeps your action over 24 hrs they have to log it in there books etc. There ffl paper work does have to be correct. Basically just paper work BS on there part, but still has to be done.

Able to explain more? They log it in sure (which he did on his old paper work) why can't it ship out now either via him or another FFL? Is new paperwork with updated address required to log it out or just for him personally to ship it?

bradb

WKR
I don't know specifics on the laws and what I got on this stuff is more from a different gunsmith buddy and NOTHING to do with this case. I think the problem is a address change in the shop location. Again I think its paper work BS in the long run. I have no dog in this fight and like I said not trying to defend any as they should follow through with there time frames and for sure keep up with the customer.

Take to long to talk about the horror story with my first custom gun. In short smith(not the above) moved from VA to WY and after a LONG time I had the cops in WY find him and make contact, he then sent everything back untouched, in his defense he gave me a free barrel. The same smith was searched by a lot of people on forms for his trigger business.
Then even my buddy, that is a smith that I loaned a small amount of money to get going seems to tell me a couple months and then 9 months later a week before a hunt he quick gets me my gun.
.......I have a couple more bad smith time frame stories!
and the smith in this post has not done a gun for me yet. He will at some point

dotman

WKR
I think the FFL paperwork is just for the shipping part. I sent him my barreled action, so he can send it straight back to me. It was a hassle sending it to him. I had to convince my postmaster that it was legal. Long story.

Not required for shipping either, how did you get it to him? I use FedEx, much less of a hassle.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0813-firearms-top-12-qaspdf/download

6. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715). The USPS and private common or contract carriers may also have additional restrictions on firearms shipments by unlicensed persons. Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).

Last edited:

16Bore

WKR
What ever they tell you, double it. Then if it's before that date, it'll feel like a bonus. Two people you never want to piss off are chefs and gunsmiths.

16Bore

WKR
The guys I've dealt with in the past are generally working on a pile of things and the phone & emails don't stop. My best results were always when I didn't have a "need by" date. Favors go both ways.

But I'm that way with things in general

WKR
I use two guys for barrel work. Typically if it takes more than 2 weeks to chamber and thread a new barrel I am shocked. Unfortunately one of them is retiring and I may still try to get a few things done before he does. If that is your only rig you can use for elk hunting, I'd be driving down and picking up the rifle parts and heading to a new smith. As I highly doubt it is done at this point.

Good luck.

okie john

FNG
I've learned three things in nearly 30 years of dealing with gunsmiths.

First, you can usually rely on their estimates for price, but never rely on their time estimates. Too many things can and do happen.

Second, don't plan a hunt around a rifle until that rifle is in your hands and shooting to your complete satisfaction. Even if the smith delivers on the date promised, your rifle still might need to go back for adjustment or to fix problems. Then your timeline is back to Day One, especially if they need to order parts. Because of this, it's best to mentally separate your hunting rifles from the rifles that you use for experiments and ballistic study. Get 1-2 proven meat rifles that you set up and leave alone, and fiddle to your heart's content with the rest.

Third, most people become gunsmiths not because they're good at working on guns but because they're bad at working with other people. They need to work alone and that's best for everyone concerned. If you expect to hold them to the standards of customer service or even simple human decency that are common in any other industry, you'll be bitterly disappointed. That's just not how their minds work.

Okie John

Okay,
Ive been through ffl change of addresses and changing ffl types, one as recently as 9 months ago.

For my own shop, changing addresses I got my new updated FFL with new address from ATF inside of 3 weeks. This may be the exception and not the norm but thats what it took last July.

Even if you do not have an updated FFL with current address, you can still log firearms into and out of your FFL bound book. Since you already owned the barreled action, it should have no bearing on his being able to log it back out to you.

On my manual machines I can chamber 2-3 barrels a day if things go smooth. I can build a rifle in week including cerakote, pillar bedding, hydrodipping, chamber and muzzle brake work. But if you come to me for a rifle I'll still tell you it'll be 6 months before you'll see it. Getting barrels and stocks is becoming quite the hassle. I've had rifle projects that have lasted well over a year for one reason or another and I'm making plans to shorten the lead times as best I can. The last year I've averaged a 6 month turnaround time for a carbon barreled build using one of my own barrels. Sometimes they take longer, sometimes less.

When a customer brings me an action/barrel/stock and has me build it for them, I quote them 4-6 weeks and haven't been late on one yet.

Mike

Last edited:
Bringing this thread back up. Just went through my second FFL change of address. However this time I crossed state lines, which requires a new FFL application and whole new license. I should have my new license in 2 weeks and can't take in any firearms or release any until I get my new license.

My previous move was an in-state move and didn't require and stopping of business activities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
maninthemaze
Bringing this thread back up. Just went through my second FFL change of address. However this time I crossed state lines, which requires a new FFL application and whole new license. I should have my new license in 2 weeks and can't take in any firearms or release any until I get my new license.

My previous move was an in-state move and didn't require and stopping of business activities

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll definitely keep you in mind for my next rifle build. I still haven't found my "one smith" that gets my loyalty. And this isn't because of the previous smith's time estimates or my inability to find a load for my rifle. I'm still working on load development, right in the middle of summer.