Guns as a Tool, Companion, or Both?

Hunter270Win

Lil-Rokslider
Curious to see what many of y’all view your hunting rifles as. I know that some people find it bizarre to attach sentimental value or feelings onto a firearm, knife, etc. but some of you feel the opposite.

I find myself more in the camp of caring about the “soul” and nature of a firearm and my knives etc, but I’d love to hear what y’all think here.

rayporter

WKR
its a tool but almost a partnership.
some day someone will take my old rifle apart and see what it has killed that i have written on the magazine well. "if this rifle could talk" thoughts going through their head.

WKR

WKR
Its really depends on the gun

If its been passed down from family or given as a gift it gets a hell of alot more respect then my field guns get.

JGRaider

WKR
It may have sentimental value to me if it was passed down from dad, family, etc. Other than that they are nothing more than tools to get a job done. I don't buy them to stare at them, oogle over how pretty they are, etc. I've been down that road with a safe full of Sako's and a couple of Steyr's. I've thinned the herd to rifles I'll actually use, about 6-8 or so.

Harvey_NW

WKR
For me a custom rifle starts out as a tool with usually pretty high monetary value. It's never my intent to purposely beat on it for any reason, but it definitely will get strapped to a pack almost immediately and shit happens. It will earn sentimental value based on the memories made with it.

The sentimental value is not intrinsict to the inannimate (that's latin for "soulless") object. The reason for my appreciation of an object is based on what the object has been through and it's usefullness. That usefullness may be to remind me that my greatgrandfather was a hunter too. Irrational emotionalism leads men to make bad decisions. Don't do that.

Thegman

WKR
Generalizing my thoughts to guesses about a lot of us: Rifles as a tool allow us to accomplish something that, as hunters, is really important to us. A rifle you've used for years and is always reliable in getting the job done gains a sort of sentimental 'reverence', as much as an inanimate object can anyway.

If you have and use lots of rifles and maybe turn them over often they may not ever reach that point. I actually have only one rifle that has.

Maki35

WKR
It’s a tool for me. I use them to preform a task, whether it’s hunting or self- defense.
I’m not attached to them. I may have a favorite rifle or shotgun, but it doesn’t mean I won’t sell it if I aquire something better.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
Curious to see what many of y’all view your hunting rifles as. I know that some people find it bizarre to attach sentimental value or feelings onto a firearm, knife, etc. but some of you feel the opposite.

I find myself more in the camp of caring about the “soul” and nature of a firearm and my knives etc, but I’d love to hear what y’all think here.
I am not that gay about it.

They are tools.

Mojave

WKR
I used to be sentimental about my grandfathers rifle. It eventually got rebarreled into a usable caliber and then sold when cash was important to move back from Alaska.

I have given my father rifles only to have him sell them.

I do not have any sons, but I have grandsons. I doubt that they will be sentimental about it.

I have a Bob Loveless "nude" hunter. It gets used, that is what Bob would have wanted.

Guns, knives, pans, pots, trucks are tools. I don't get emotional about any of it anymore.

Macintosh

WKR
Definitely not a companion. But "tool" doesnt capture it.

For me, varying levels of "tool" I guess? Of course I treat all my tools with respect and maintain them, but to me there is a very different level of satisfaction and "pride of ownership" (maybe not the right phrase, but...) in a well-made gun that shows true quality of materials, finish and craftsmanship, versus one that is clearly made to a price point, complete with molded plastic, shoddy "bluing", parts that fit together with visible gaps, rattling parts, rough-feeling or binding actions, etc. Also, I appreciate some honest wear on an old gun that reflects both a lot of use as well as being well-maintained and cared for. I appreciate functional tools that are reliable and accomplish what I need despite gnarly weather, mud, snow, freezing rain, etc...there is a place at my table for my stainless tikka with a composite stock. But give me the choice and I'll reach for an old gun with worn bluing, a walnut stock that someone clearly put some thought and effort into shaping, fitting, finishing and checkering, and I'll reach for that one every time.
I no longer have it, but a while ago I had an old German guild sidelock shotgun. It was kind of a basket case, the stock had been broken into a dozen pieces at the wrist, and I bought it for next to nothing and restocked it. When I tore it down I found that the hand-cut checkering was not only on the action and side plates, but also INSIDE the action--the under side of the trigger guard tang was not only finely polished but also engraved, the inside of the side plates was also finely polished and engraved, all with sparse but pretty well done hand-cut scroll engraving. Someone took enough time and enough pride when making this "tool" to embellish the INSIDE of the gun. I compare that to a modern gun where anything that isnt visible is likely not polished at all, you can see daylight through the action of many guns becasue of how poorly fitted they are, major parts are simply molded plastic...and when you open the action and feel it grind or bind or just listen to it rattle or feel it flex, it just reinforces my appreciation for not just any functional tool, but one that exhibits real pride in craftsmanship. That's the sort of thing I appreciate. I like old tools too for the same reasons. I dont think this makes my appreciation for guns any less in the "tool" category, but it also fits squarely into the "appreciation of craft" category. I own a glock, but I appreciate a slicked-up 1911. I would think nothing of selling some guns that I have a lot of miles with and have been using for many decades...at the same time I own a few guns that are more or less irreplaceable in that they've struck my "appreciation of craft" and my wondering about who used them and where they've been...guess I'd think a lot harder about just selling those short of true necessity.

edit: And, if @Mojave says this is gay...so be it! 😁

Last edited:

Mike 338

WKR
Nothing more than a tool but some tools you may have a much higher level of confidence in and therefore, you would literally miss them if you broke them and regret not having it should the need arise. As for the soul of a tool, I file souls in a category for what actually has a soul. Your "stuff" will all become ashes and rust. Best keep what you treasure in perspective.

Macintosh

WKR
All tools come in a variety of flavors, and it seems perfectly normal to think about them differently, regardless of your perspective on them.

This is a tool:

This is also a tool:

And so is this one:

SC HUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I have a few shotguns that mean more to me than others. I'll still use them every year but they don't get beat on like some of my others. I have rifles that were passed down to me that I don't hunt with that I would need a ridiculous amount of money to be offered to sell them.

I have a stoeger 3020 that gets used heavily every weekend of dove season that is a tool and rides in the truck during bird season in the floor of the back seat and just gets used. I'd never put one of my belgium A-5's through that.

I have a Marlin 17 hmr that rides in between my passenger seat and console every day of the year as a truck gun. It is used and abused but it works good and it is a "tool" I'd never put my grandfathers model 70 in between seats like that. I guess I have a few that are tools and used/abused while some are babied. My daddy gets pissed off with me babying some of them.