Gunnison area horse rental

Hodgessj

FNG
I’m looking for an outfitter to rent horses from in the gunnison area. I have checked with the forestry service and blm and no one can identify anyone who does this. Any input would be appreciated. I’m not looking for a guide service with horses. Just horses to be delivered to the trail head and be used for the self hunting trip. Please respond in pm if you have any useful input. Thanks in advance.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted that area several times, never ran into anyone that rented horses or talked to anyone that mentioned it. Have you tried asking the outfitters? It may be worth asking the local processor, or people at Gene Taylors, they are always very helpful!

Marble

WKR
I’m looking for an outfitter to rent horses from in the gunnison area. I have checked with the forestry service and blm and no one can identify anyone who does this. Any input would be appreciated. I’m not looking for a guide service with horses. Just horses to be delivered to the trail head and be used for the self hunting trip. Please respond in pm if you have any useful input. Thanks in advance.
The issue in that area is the Forest service requires a fairly large license fee and insurance. So currently, to my knowledge and I've searched myself, no one delivers horses on that side of 70. The solution is to go pick them up. But you'll need a trailer.

If you want that info, send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hodgessj

FNG
Thanks for all the info. My brother rented llamas last year. They are better than nothing but def not horses.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
Your best bet is to contact Sombrero Ranch. A google search will take you to their website. It’ll get you riding stock but pack gear and pack saddles are your responsibility. I don’t know that they’ll deliver to Gunnison but they do offer some delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LFC911

WKR
I rented horses from Ferro's Blue Mesa Ranch back in 2019 and did not have a good experience with them for what it is worth. Google is showing they're temporarily closed, not sure if they're closed for the winter or closed for good.

I rented horses from Ferro's Blue Mesa Ranch back in 2019 and did not have a good experience with them for what it is worth. Google is showing they're temporarily closed, not sure if they're closed for the winter or closed for good.
Were they out of shape or did they spook easy? Just curious.

LFC911

WKR
Were they out of shape or did they spook easy? Just curious.
Long story short, they could not be separated. We had plans to hunt in different areas and every time we tried to go separate ways they ran back to the other one. The night we did hunt together they got spooked and ran down the mountain. I got thrown and had to walk back w/o a weapon. My buddy rode his all the way down in the dark. I left a google review for them if you want more info. If you're using them to pack and they're always together there probably wouldn't be an issue.

Marble

WKR
Your best bet is to contact Sombrero Ranch. A google search will take you to their website. It’ll get you riding stock but pack gear and pack saddles are your responsibility. I don’t know that they’ll deliver to Gunnison but they do offer some delivery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They can't deliver south of 70. I don't know who, if anyone, has the contract/license with the USFS there.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

chindits

WKR
Ferro’s sold. He wasn’t really permitted for USFS so John would typically meet you at the USFS boundary line when he cared to be legal.

You probably need to look unit specific for such a deal. Outfitters will be your best source for info but not stock. Most units have too many outfitters working a small area so they don’t need more company, but they might know a dude outfit that is okay searching for their lost horses well after hunting season is over.