Gun Gifts From a Friend

cjdewese

WKR
Hey Guys, A good friend of mine Gifted me a few rifles over the past year and I wanted to share the story.

I owned a 30-06 and a 12 Gauge that my dad gave me a few years back and started shooting them again a little over a year ago. A few months later my oldest says that he really wanted to start shooting with me when we are together.

A good friend of our family and I were talking about my son wanting to get into shooting and I was bummed my dad gave away his 410 years ago because its what I shot as a kid, would be perfect for the boys now and make a great snake gun for around the yard. He walks away and comes back with a 410 and says here you can have this one, enjoy. Gun #1
410.jpg

About 6 months later my youngest turns 5 and he comes to the party and walks in with a box about the size of a gun wrapped up for him. I knew what it was but my youngest didn't. The surprise on his face when he opened it to find a youth sized 22lr with a weaver V22 3-6 on it and a bag full of 22 shorts was priceless. Gun #2
22 LR.jpg

Same friend and I were talking months after that about a coyote that I saw near the fence with my dogs, how it didn't react to them at all and whether or not he thought the 22 would kill it within 50 yards. He walked off and came back with another rifle. This one a lot nicer than the previous 2 and said, here this is my favorite rifle I use for Coyotes and handed me a Remington 700 in 223 with a Leupold Vari X III 3.5-10 and said here you can borrow this. So I said thank you very much I'll get it back to you in a few months. His reply was "Well I know where it is if I ever need it, treat it like it's yours." Gun #3
223.jpg
So I've gone from 2-5 and a way better selection of kid friendly rifles for my kids to learn on. My oldest LOVES to shoot and is enjoying all of these rifles, my youngest isn't a fan of loud noises yet but for now loves to go with his older brother and I to just hang out for the day.

The 223 post has me seriously thinking about using this for my deer rifle next year instead of the 30-06. Anyone know of a factory non lead cartridge that would work for small bodied So Cal bucks?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome friend getting you and kids set up to build some amazing memories together.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
Can't say what the barrel twist would be on your .223 but from the look it may be a 1-12 or 1-14. If this is the case you will be very limited for factory lead free options suited to medium game. Lapua naturalis claims to stabilize in 1-14. If it is 1-9 or faster your options expand.