Gun for Elk Hunting in Thick Timber

KBC

WKR
Is it douchey to even build an AR for hunting? I never see them out in the field and like the look of traditional hunting rifles but couldn’t I custom build one at a proper caliber, semi auto for follow up shots, and a red dot with a magnifier in case I have to take a 300 yard shot? Just brainstorming here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was building an AR10 in .308 before the turd banned them in Canada. I figured it would be my best bet hunting in grizzly country and it not being legal to carry a pistol.
Please build one for me ;)

Realistically, your 30-06 is fine. As others have said, dial your scope down.

Not a big bull, but if you look at the environment it’s pretty tight. Not reprod tight, but I shot him at 68 yards only because I couldn’t see 70.

IMG_2230.jpeg

One 140 grain Partition from a 7mm-08. He took a step forward, a step back, and fell over.

IMG_1823.jpeg

Shoot them through the lungs, you’ll be fine.

IMG_1822.jpeg

P

Last edited:
OP
E
Appreciate everyone’s input, I had my scope down to 3x, I guess it was more of an issue of how fast I’d be able to scope in and take a shot and was looking for something more ergonomic and faster to have a follow up shot. But tbh I should just focus on being a better hunter and not spooking them, I was in a really dense spot with deadfall everywhere so didn’t know if Id be better suited with another load out. CNElk had a good point, I can just look for a different area. I was just hoping I could find something close to a one size fits all but that doesn’t really exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
^^^ I killed elk in that unit 25 years ago.
Back then it was much easier to hunt.
Seriously, look for a better area without all that deadfall.
You’ll have a much better experience

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
A suppressor is really nice in close hunting because you don't have to worry about getting ear pro on at a moments notice. I lost some hearing from missing that once and I don't want a repeat. If you can legally have one where you hunt I'd spend money on that before I change rifles or scope.
As far as scope... I would keep a scope not a red dot or something like that. If a bear was charging yeah I'd change it up. But in timber you might actually want a bit of magnification to see the target between tree branches.
Last bear I shot was a black bear behind the house. He was peaking out of the bushes so I dialed my scope up all or most of the way to 9x and shot him.