Guided or Go Blind in California?

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
I might be flying in to California this Thursday evening, the 27th with only a few days left in the turkey season. I had hoped to be there a few weeks ago but the rain and flooding delayed the work I was going there to do. I thought I'd have to give up on the dream. My plan was to find some BLM, go in blind, and see what I could do. No decoys, no chair. Just my vest, a slate call, some camo, and a gun. I never dreamed my first out-of-state hunt might be for turkey but hey, why not.

I'll be working in Tulare County, but flying into Sacramento or LA in between. I imagine if I'm near Sacramento, i'm closer to the best turkey populations (?). I don't have much time to scout or knock on doors (if I wanted to try private).

My wife thought I should see about a guide - doesn't like the idea of me going alone in an area I have no clue about, across the country. (NC-CA). I've googled some and found prices ranging from 250 to 1000 or so. I'm thinking the 250 was a single-day opportunity. Maybe all were.

Do you know of any guides I should look into? What the expected cost may range?

I admit, I like the idea of DIY both for the personal satisfaction/pride and the cost savings. However, if a guide helps me get it done but the solo/prideful attempt leaves me empty-handed?

The spots I was considering (BLM) are in Tulare Co., near Three Rivers, fyi.

If I'm going with a guide, I have a lot more flexibility in where I'd probably hunt.

Rob5589

WKR
With limited time and not knowing where to hunt, I'd hire a guide if you want a chance at success. It's late in the season so hard to say what is still available. I haven't had time to go out but where I usually see birds every year have been nowhere to be found. Take that for what it's worth.

Rob5589

WKR
@MightyWhitey, one of the hospitals I go to has them all over the lots, on top of cars, hanging out by the ER doors, etc. I mouth called one over Friday morning. It's nuts :LOL:

WKR

WKR
There's plenty of birds on public land but without time to scout or knowing the area your odds of being successful are very slim. Guided would be the way to go if you want to spend the money and have a high chance of success but the prices they are charging to shoot a turkey is insane.

cmahoney

WKR
Are you hunting the California Ghetto Bird sub species like this one? If so you need to change your tactics. Start with loud bass music instead of a hen cluck.
efad84dcee195891a1ddbeafd38d6386.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Call F&G ask for a bio

Call the NWTF to see if there's a local chapter

Remember gotta find them first
Good ideas. Thanks. I had found a list of outfitters a while back. It allowed me to search by county (counties in which the person operated), species they guided for, etc. When I followed the link and searched those people up, I'd say maybe 75% of the results were out of state, some had nothing to do with turkeys, etc.

Fowl Play

WKR
@hawkman71 do not have personal experience with them, but do know a buddy who hunted with Oak Ridge Outfitters and only had good things to say. https://oakridgeoutfittersinc.com/california-guided-hunts/california-wild-turkey-hunt/

A guide will be pricey, but is your best bet. Northern California area near Mt. Shasta has the highest population in the state. Followed by central California. Only location worth hunting in Southern California is Julian area of San Diego County. Beautiful area, but majority of birds are on private. Successful public land hunters are hiking miles back (think overnight backpacking trips). Not worth even attempting DIY with so little time.

OP
hawkman71

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, I realized that I'm stressing myself trying to squeeze this in last minute. I'd be better off just going to california, completing my work, and do some driving and hiking. Maybe I'll just see some Rios or Merriams (which will be a first for me). I'll get to see some great country and maybe prepare better for next year. I appreciate your help.

ps. I was trying to look at rental cars and everything I was checking was sold out over the weekend. yikes.

JStol5

WKR
Three Rivers has a lot of turkeys running around, but they've had significant flooding issues recently. I would look into guides in the Fresno area/private ranches that do hunts. There's one I've worked with near Paso Robles but that's far from you.

Guys, I realized that I'm stressing myself trying to squeeze this in last minute. I'd be better off just going to california, completing my work, and do some driving and hiking. Maybe I'll just see some Rios or Merriams (which will be a first for me). I'll get to see some great country and maybe prepare better for next year. I appreciate your help.

ps. I was trying to look at rental cars and everything I was checking was sold out over the weekend. yikes.
Try turo.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

All pu lic. Killed 77 ducks this year.

Attachments

• 20230128_122436.jpg
    20230128_122436.jpg
    592.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20221221_160135.jpg
    IMG_20221221_160135.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 10