Guide Gifts

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to NWT with South Nahanni in a little over a week.

Other than cash tip, Copenhagen and maybe whiskey - what tokens of appreciation / gifts have you brought along for the guides?

Thanks

Tent, binos, sleeping bag, puffy......all kinds of things you can give them (in addition to your cash tip) that might be an upgrade. Keep your eyes and ears open during the hunt and something will likely stand out.

mntnguide

WKR
Now adays with guide licenses and discounts, especially up there, id be more than surprised if you show up with better glass than your guide. As said above, nice knives, gear etc can always be appreciated. But at the same time, dont dump stuff on your guide they dont need, they will just sell it anyway if they already have better gear. Cash is king when it comes to paying bills outside of the mountains. As stated above, just pay attention, if theres something they wish they had, or envy, you will hear about it.

WCB

WKR
As a guide, I got a couple knives/Leatherman which were nice can never have too many of those. I got a puffy vest once. But, like others have said...cash is king. No matter what anyone says guides work for money and imo anything given that is material should be ontop of.

Not saying their couldn't be an exception if the guide was looking at upgrading optics or say something of theirs breaks or gets damaged and you happen to have something that would replace it. As a client I did gift a firearm to a guide for his son. We had discussions where he mentioned needing to buy a rifle for his son and I can get pretty good deals on some brands (better then he could with guide/standard industry discount). So I mentioned it to him and got it sent to him a few weeks after the hunt. However, I still tipped him a pretty standard amount for a guide to receive (just not exactly how much I was going to).

Mostly cash planned

I gave my guide a thermrest pad as his broke during trip

As Wy heart wrote I too gave a replica to guides in the past as a thank you (as well as cash)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Why is tipping guides even necessary? They get paid an agreed amount to do their job.

I had a pilot get mad at me for not tipping….the pilot owned the plane and the company, he was taking all the prophet. It wanted a tip.

WCB

WKR
Why is tipping guides even necessary? They get paid an agreed amount to do their job.

I had a pilot get mad at me for not tipping….the pilot owned the plane and the company, he was taking all the prophet. It wanted a tip.
Do we really need this argument again...? It isn't necessary but it is customary. Don't tip if you don't want to. My boss when guiding refused to accept tips if he guided a client. To me that would be the same for a pilot/owner of the carrier. Anyone that makes it known they "expect" a tip to client or customer is an ass hat. I had guys not tip and just shook their hand, smiled, and said "safe travels".

j3butch

Lil-Rokslider

I’d imagine the guide’s wage has customary tip factored in, similar to a server at a restaurant? I may be way off here though but would be interested in knowing.

I couldn't imagine not tipping my guide.

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
My guide last year really liked my light weight tarp. we used for many different things on my hunt. When the hunt was over I gave him the tarp on top of a cash tip.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d imagine the guide’s wage has customary tip factored in, similar to a server at a restaurant? I may be way off here though but would be interested in knowing.

I couldn't imagine not tipping my guide.
I guess i just struggle with it. I went halibut fishing on a charter boat last summer. It was like 750.00 for me and my wife. I gave the captain 100 dollars cash and he was like “gee thanks”. I asked him what sort of money he was expecting and he clearly wasn’t prepared for me to ask him that.

OP
F

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Circling back on this. Asked ahead of time if the guides wanted anything (Copenhagen, smokes, etc) and recieved a non-commital answer - they are all good with their vices.

Brought a bottle of Crown which they enjoyed. However, after hanging out with them and asking, smokes and Cope would have been appreciated (given the prices in Canada). Some things never change.

Obviously cash handed over as well…………

OMB

WKR
Circling back on this. Asked ahead of time if the guides wanted anything (Copenhagen, smokes, etc) and recieved a non-commital answer - they are all good with their vices.

Brought a bottle of Crown which they enjoyed. However, after hanging out with them and asking, smokes and Cope would have been appreciated (given the prices in Canada). Some things never change.

Obviously cash handed over as well…………
There's nothing like totally running out of chew on the hunt and having to buy a tin in Norman Wells to remind anyone why a roll of Copenhagen is a great tip.