Guess the age of this Elk ?

OP
G
Taste was good. We took care of it right away. It was cooler out and got on ice quickly. I think that helped. Tenderloin's thumbs up. Backstraps a little tough (cooked rare). Front shoulders and scrap grind into burger plus beef fat was good. Hindquarter roast- better cook it a lititle longer in oven or crock pot "low and slow". Overall lots of good meat . a little disappointed on the coveted backstraps

Gerbdog

WKR
Still sounds pretty tasty! the excitement for me is starting up, need to get some meat in the freezer this year, getting pumped to go hunt even if its just a bear tag in NM and an OTC elk tag here in CO. No better place then the elk woods during september.

fmyth

WKR
I shot a 16.5 year old cow in WY. I cut her up myself and got under 100 lbs of lean meat. Not an ounce of fat on the old girl. She only had 2 teeth left. The warden said she most likely would not have made it through the winter.

That's cool thanks for sharing this!

I shot a big ol' cow a few years back that I wish I would have tooth aged. I'm not sure if there is any correlation with overall skull size but when compared to two 6 point bulls I have euro mounted, hers is bigger than both of them. It's an inch wider than both and a bit longer in overall length as well. I bet she was 10+ years.