GT cartridges

I have not. I'm jumping them 40k in the 120k freebore chamber and the shank is just ahead the neck shoulder junction currently. Gt has a long for caliber neck. If I wanted to shoot a lighter bullet in the 169fb, I'd go with 77tmk. They have a lot of bearing for weight, kill well and are usually very accurate, just a BC sacrifice.

Long neck, doesn't mean you've got to use it all.

Carl Ross

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys, I'm taking notes. I've been leaning towards a 22 GT for my next 22 cal hunting barrel. Seems like it should be similarly behaved as a 6 Creed based on capacity-to-bore ratio. 6 Creed is about as aggressive as I like to get, I've never been a giant fan of the real fire breathers.

khuber84

WKR
Long neck, doesn't mean you've got to use it all.
I agree, and I typically run as much freebore as I can, typically I'm jumping bullets 40-70k, so the neck usually gets used. I have not found being seated out a ways with less than caliber diameter of shank seating to be a problem, it just is usually needs a slight increase in neck tension to keep SD low. I have ran 105hyb in a long freebore 6bra that were only seated maybe 0.200 into neck and it shot lights out. I just ran 004 nk tension. The 22gt is a great case, the 6 is as well. Both very accurate, but the 6 is a lil low on volume to get good speeds in the shorter barrels without being pretty high on pressure.

Last edited:

Hondo64d

Lil-Rokslider
The 6 GT and 22 GT have piqued my interest lately. Does anyone use them in a hunting weight rifle? Would I be better off with the 88 ELDM in the 22 or the 108 ELDM in the 6? I like that they both run small rifle primers. As large rifle are difficult to find, and large rifle magnum are damn near impossible to find.

Also, what kind of velocities could I expect from a 20” barrel out of these cartridges? Looking for a 0-600+ cartridge to hunt everything Idaho has to offer.

John

AZ_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
New GT shooter here, was wanting to try something a little different and settled on the 22 flavóur. So far it has been awesome, I thought it was coming with the 169 freebore but came with the 120 with .219 bore. It shoots 10 88’s into just over 1” 10 80s just under 1”. Settled for a little extra speed and decided on the 80s for this barrel. So far have about 1000 rounds down it with exactly 0 going poof. 1 cleaning (thought I was having a pressure issue due to possible carbon ring) turns out it was just an overly spicy load. That was about 500 rounds ago and no issues after backing off a hair. Will definitely be ordering another barrel once this one is close to giving up the ghost. Will be using it for deer and elk this fall.
What barrel and who chambered it?

khuber84

WKR
I had an extra 7.5tw 6mm lt palma, having my smith cut it at 21in 6gt for a. Tikka I have sitting dormant. So I'll have some shorter barrel 6gt data lil later on this winter. Likely be running 105hyb behind a stiff load of H4350 mid 2800s. I know I can run them mid 2900s from a 24".

Was really tempted to go 6mm bra, but I was unsure if it could run the mid 2800 node from that short a barrel.