Groups from bench, bipod, and from a pack

I’ve been pretty set on using my bipod prone with a rear bag for most of my hunting/shooting. Decided to do some testing/practice at the range hoping to eventually ditch the bipod.

These are all shot with my tikka 25 creedmoor, alterra stock, maven rs1.2

First group is off a bench with rice filled front and rear bag

883B9182-2B1C-49B0-9DB4-B335E8340F48.jpeg

Next was prone in the dirt with small backpack, Mollinator on top, and jellyfish bag in the rear (starting to like this rear bag more and more). I had to stuff some things in the little daypack and it was not very stable. My hunting pack would probably be more stable.

DCF29CF7-3563-4BDC-AD7E-9C7159F3DE7F.jpeg

Last was prone with gunwerks elevate 2.0 bipod and jellyfish rear bag. I adjusted my zero up .1 mil before shooting this group. It FELT more stable in the sight picture.

71171D5C-1390-4318-A9C3-A4B67D09A978.jpeg

My conclusion so far is that I can shoot groups that are plenty good for long range from a pack/rear bag setup. Plus, it’s significantly faster to get setup..and one less thing to carry (bipod).

Next up will be larger group sizes, some timed drills, and breaking positions. Oh and my rokstock should be here soon 👍🏻

Thanks @Formidilosus for the stuff you post, it’s been challenging what I think I know and probably will make me a better shooter

Hnthrdr

WKR
I’ve been pretty set on using my bipod prone with a rear bag for most of my hunting/shooting. Decided to do some testing/practice at the range hoping to eventually ditch the bipod.

View attachment 738546

Next was prone in the dirt with small backpack, Mollinator on top, and jellyfish bag in the rear (starting to like this rear bag more and more). I had to stuff some things in the little daypack and it was not very stable. My hunting pack would probably be more stable.

View attachment 738550

Last was prone with gunwerks elevate 2.0 bipod and jellyfish rear bag. I adjusted my zero up .1 mil before shooting this group. It FELT more stable in the sight picture.

View attachment 738551

My conclusion so far is that I can shoot groups that are plenty good for long range from a pack/rear bag setup. Plus, it’s significantly faster to get setup..and one less thing to carry (bipod).

Next up will be larger group sizes, some timed drills, and breaking positions. Oh and my rokstock should be here soon 👍🏻

Thanks @Formidilosus for the stuff you post, it’s been challenging what I think I know and probably will make me a better shooter
All great groups IMO especially keeping it under 1.5 inches in field positions

View attachment 738546

View attachment 738550

View attachment 738551

If you get a chance would you be able to post a picture with how you use the molinator as a front bag? Wondering if it’s a front bag as in where the bipod would be or if it’s more in the center/balance point of the rifle

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
If you get a chance would you be able to post a picture with how you use the molinator as a front bag? Wondering if it’s a front bag as in where the bipod would be or if it’s more in the center/balance point of the rifle
I use the molinator on top of my pack as a front bag quite often. Lots of my shots on coyotes and targets are steep uphill and downhill angles, needing more than just pack height. So when it's too long of a shot for seated, pack in lap, with long spartan bipod as front rest, and the vegetation allows for lower position shot; but short spartan bipod doesn't give enough height or clearance for brush/grass, I use the backpack.

This one actually needed my 15's strapless bino harness that sits in the top of my pack, and then the molinator on top of that. 8 power range finding main bino harness taken off as rear rest. You can actually just unclip the left side clip and keep it partially on and still use it as a rear rest. Very fast.

IMG_8304.jpg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Are you guys doing anything specific to setup your pack for this? I'd love to ditch my bipod.
When hunting you can actually use the compression straps to fix the molinator to the outside pack. I keep it pretty loose though so I can slide it up/down around as needed. Or stuff something underneath it for more height like a jacket, beanie, etc.

Other than that, no. I am weird from most and shoot with the pack long ways most the time instead of setting the pack sideways. Just depends on the shot though. I tend to pack my sleeping bag and puffy pants/rain gear down in the bottom of the pack. So if I have the bottom of the pack as the furthest point away from me when setting up for a shot, this usually gives me good height for shots, using bino harness or lightweight rear bag as a rest.

I carry a rear bag that my wife made for me out of orange codura. It's a 2/3 filled "rectangle" that works for me. Mainly use bino harness these days or stack the binos themselves onto the bino harness. Remember to still use your off hand to control the buttstock, so many guys put their off hand under the rear rest not touching the gun. This isn't ideal.

180ls1

WKR
Also. here is a dyneema bag with those lite foam balls for filling. I haven't played with shooting and positions yet but at 1.5oz its tempting. I've also shot really well with my bino harness as rear support.bag.jpg

mxgsfmdpx

WKR

View attachment 738546

View attachment 738550

View attachment 738551

Good shooting! As that one dude from that old knife making show says...

keel.JPG

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Are you guys doing anything specific to setup your pack for this? I'd love to ditch my bipod.

Use the front compression straps to hold the Molinator centered and ready to use by just dropping the pack. This is the old version, the S2H Molinators have a two loop vertical strap under the standard handle specifically for this use.

IMG_0871.jpeg

IMG_0872.jpeg

I use the molinator on top of my pack as a front bag quite often. Lots of my shots on coyotes and targets are steep uphill and downhill angles, needing more than just pack height. So when it's too long of a shot for seated, pack in lap, with long spartan bipod as front rest, and the vegetation allows for lower position shot; but short spartan bipod doesn't give enough height or clearance for brush/grass, I use the backpack.

This one actually needed my 15's strapless bino harness that sits in the top of my pack, and then the molinator on top of that. 8 power range finding main bino harness taken off as rear rest. You can actually just unclip the left side clip and keep it partially on and still use it as a rear rest. Very fast.

View attachment 750417
I think you need more orange just to be safe!

On a serious note nice work. Not enough people practice positional shooting on a regular basis, myself included.

lukebrowning

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion a bipod is useless if it’s not steady, which for me meant atlas at 14-17oz depending on the model. At the range I never shoot off the bench if I can avoid it.

After converting to a lower recoiling round, more practice and moving to arca, I ditched the bipod for backpack hunts. I once used the spotter/tripod/digiscope to review shots, which made carrying a bipod more useful. I now use the tripod for awkward angles and kneeling shots. Otherwise it’s prone off the pack and i can still use the tripod/spotter for recording.