Ground Blind Guidance

Curious your thoughts on the amount of time prior to hunting to install a ground blind prior to the season? Secondly how far do you place a blind from water to hunt with a bow?

Last season I procured access to private AG and set up my double bull blind on water 7 days prior to the season starting and the antelope stayed about 100 yards from that water every sit. I kept the windows low and entered the blind in the dark and still had no success.

Curious how long prior to hunting you put your blind in and any other tips and tricks? I did buy the information booklet put out by Jace Bauserman (Bowhunting the Prince of the Plains) which includes some great info. But I plan to give it another go with the bow this year and hope to kill my first archery goat.

Side note: I tried using a cow decoy and an antelope decoy and these lopers are highly pressured. They ran to the next county at the first sign of movement from hundreds of yards out.

Clint

baz77

WKR
My last trip out to Wyoming on public we set the blind up the evening before and had 2 decent bucks killed by noon the next day..

OP
Duckhunter14
Dang! That’s awesome. Maybe these goats have ample water and didn’t need this source. That’s impressive they came right in with it just being placed the night before .

baz77

WKR
Dang! That’s awesome. Maybe these goats have ample water and didn’t need this source. That’s impressive they came right in with it just being placed the night before .
It was very dry that year in the unit..the water hole was only 8x8 or so...but its never taken us more than 3 days to tag out over water on 4 trips.

Rich M

WKR
Maybe you can hunt the travel route to the water, maybe they walk by some higher cover. Might not even need the blind?

Anyway, something tells me your blind was moving in the wind.