ground black bear meat/fat ratio

welkin

FNG
Tried searching, didn't find this already discussed. What ratio of meat to fat are people grinding with their black bears? Are you using pork or beef fat, have you tried grinding with the bear fat? How much fascia and ligament are you cutting out? Any other tips for this project, thanks.

bpeay4

Lil-Rokslider
Bear meat itself has a higher fat content than say deer or elk. For that reason I typically do a 90/10 meat to fat ratio for burger and ground sausage.

I used to do pork fat but have since switch to beef fat on all my game burger and much prefer it.

Edit: I have never tried grinding with the actual bear fat but would be cautious doing so. Many claim that wild game fat goes rancid rather quickly even in the freezer.

I like to trim all my bear fat, cut it into pieces and throw it into the crock pot on low and render it into to tallow. Very good for cooking oil.

Last edited:
I’ve done up to 20% pork, clean meat with no silver skin. Definitely wouldn’t notice if I used less fat but we had a bunch of leftover to use.

Taudisio

WKR
Back to back bears went to the butcher with no outside animal fat added, just the fat that came with the bear. Both batches have been fantastic.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
When I processed my only bear a few years ago, he was so fat, I just ground it straight. It looked more fatty than my 90/10 venison grind. Burgers were good.

Tbone26

FNG
I don’t use any fat in any ground wild game, including bear.
I'm with this guy, no fat or pork in any of my wild game ground meat. Summer sausage, hot sticks, etc is a different story. Then I usually use 25% clean pork trimmings (not to fatty).

I do about a 85 / 15 meat to fat ratio. Usually use pork fat but I used bear fat on a particularly good tasting bear and it was outstanding! We used it all up in about 8 months, the last few packages were starting to change in taste. If you use bear fat use it up in 6 months and you’ll be good.

I always use pork butt with bear or venison. Usually about 80/20 with each but the last few bears I killed were all pretty lean. I wouldn’t like straight bear meat but that’s just me.