Grocery Bill?

hunterjmj

WKR
Family of 4 and we spend around $800-1000 month. Was probably closer to 600-700 pre Biden. We rarely eat out, I pack a lunch, wife stays home. We buy beef from our neighboring ranch and local milk from a local farm. Have been thinking about getting chickens with the price of eggs. We have Guineafowl already who keep the bugs cleaned up. I feel for young couples with kids who are struggling. It'll be tough to ever get ahead.

TxxAgg

WKR
I don't track how much we spend in groceries. It's so much cheaper than eating out we still come out ahead even if we splurge a little.

We shop at Aldi and try to only eat out one night a week or less, though I’ve gotten bad about buying lunch 2-3 days per week. 2 and 4 year old and my wife. We spend between $80-130/week at Aldi and probably $10-40 at other stores for miscellaneous things that were on sale or Aldi didn’t have.
Aldi prices have gone up dramatically in the past 1-2 years. Almost not worth shopping there anymore.

Sled

WKR
We still spend too much on food but somethings we were proactive about. We haven't purchased beef or eggs at the store in close to a decade. Elk, moose, deer and home grown chicken broilers account for our meats. Fish we buy and catch some. We keep around six layers that produce an average of 5 eggs a day throughout the year. That gives us a surplus of eggs since there are 3 of us that eat eggs in the house.

All that said, I enjoy going out to chili's every couple of weeks. Their 3 for me deal is easy on the pocket book.

Aldi prices have gone up dramatically in the past 1-2 years. Almost not worth shopping there anymore.
Not where I am. I’ve priced compared to Gerbes, and it’s always more at Gerbes. Walmart might be closer, but then I’d have to shop at Walmart once a week 👎

sneaky

"DADDY"
I live in Central Texas and am married with two elementary age boys. We pack their lunch for school everyday and the wife and I both eat out of the fridge. 80% of the meat I eat is ground deer. Our monthly grocery bill is $1471. From my best recollection it was closer to $950-$1000 two years ago. We eat fairly healthy with lots of fresh fruits and veggies and a few speciality items but nothing crazy. Is this insanely expensive or about average for y’all?
Wait til you see the prices coming this summer. Everything you bought last year was from the 21 crop and 21 fuel prices. 22 was an insane year for input prices and it's going to show up in increased cost of goods in the stores.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The egg thing is Avian Influenza. I work for USDA, local layers have had to kill their entire flock if birds come down with Avian Flu. I can think of over 100K laying birds killed on local hutterite colonies alone, so imagine if avian flu gets into massive facilities in the Midwest, adds up fast.
Come on man!, you know it's a conspiracy.. 5g, chicken feed with no nutrients.. 🤣

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
We raise meat rabbits. 4 does 1 buck. Put up over 300 pounds of meat in a summer. And animal husbandry is great for kids. We barter rabbit for halibut, hoping to cook up a double rack of black tail deer ribs over a burn.
We sell enough kits to cover cost. Manure goes into the garden.

Attachments

• 20220123_111954.jpg
    20220123_111954.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210831_105420.jpg
    20210831_105420.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 33

fmyth

WKR
I feel your pain. In eggs alone we spend $75 a a month. It’s not unusual for the family to eat almost a dozen for breakfast.
Do you have a Costco nearby? Costco near me has 5 doz eggs for $14 now. I buy my bread, eggs, meat, cheese, frozen fruit/veggies, TP/paper towels and laundry/dish soap at Costco and it is significantly less expensive than Walmart and half the price of my neighborhood grocery store.

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
Jeesh. I wrote the bit about rabbits. Get up to get fresh coffee n let our chessy out. I look around the back yard. There is a bull moose standing next to the manure pile. Eying up the dog, kinda staring at the dog actually. Head comes down, moose moves forward. I step out. Moose sees me n turns around Glad she is trained well enough to come to call.
Just thought since I mentioned raising rabbits, it comes with its issues

FLATHEAD

WKR
Jeesh. I wrote the bit about rabbits. Get up to get fresh coffee n let our chessy out. I look around the back yard. There is a bull moose standing next to the manure pile. Eying up the dog, kinda staring at the dog actually. Head comes down, moose moves forward. I step out. Moose sees me n turns around Glad she is trained well enough to come to call.
Just thought since I mentioned raising rabbits, it comes with its issues
Sounds like that Moose is itching to be put in the freezzer.

Stalker69

WKR
Our grocery bill has more then doubled, easily. Wife shops weekly, and it's crazy expensive.

I’m getting by at $400 a month being single. Definitely went up.

I’ve noticed the GSA per diem rates are out of touch these days for us government folks. Some places I go, I can’t eat healthy and get the stuff I need for under the per diem rate these days.

Wow, I was complaining this morning that our monthly grocery bill is up to about $800. That’s all household stuff including diapers etc. and at Alaska prices. For a family of 4 and mostly whole foods.

Makes me curious what people spend on meat a month? We eat about 8lbs of moose a week and probably about 3lbs of salmon. So maybe that’s ~$75 a week worth of meat? Can’t afford to not go moose hunting every year!

Aldi's is our go to in this area. Wal Mart has gotten ignorant with their price increases. Small rural area they have a pretty captive audience so they tend to get away with it.

gabenzeke

WKR
Five of us. I'd be shocked if we were less than 2k a month. But in our defense, my oldest boy plays hockey and eats like a horse. He's only ten and gives me a run for my money at the dinner table.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I live in Central Texas and am married with two elementary age boys. We pack their lunch for school everyday and the wife and I both eat out of the fridge. 80% of the meat I eat is ground deer. Our monthly grocery bill is $1471. From my best recollection it was closer to $950-$1000 two years ago. We eat fairly healthy with lots of fresh fruits and veggies and a few speciality items but nothing crazy. Is this insanely expensive or about average for y’all?
I will say it sounds high, but why it sounds high to me is likely because I don’t track my own, or I assume it would sound normal

We do eat fish and wild game pretty much exclusively for any meals, but that only goes so far, and the snacks, breakfast and lunch items add up.

I could be content with blacktail steaks and peanut butter, but the rest of my family isn’t as utilitarian as I am with food