Grizzlys and weather in Yellowstone

Luked

WKR
This June I am getting married and the end of Aug we are heading out to Yellowstone to spend the week for our honeymoon.
we have plans to do some hiking as well as possibly doing a night back in the backcountry camping.

my Fiance is a little in-nerved about the amount of Grizzlys in the park and staying in a Tarp overnight.
I have never been out west but have always wanted to go. I have been getting gear to use but still unsure about the weather and the Grizzlys. I have told her that they are there but attacks are few compared to the amount of people that visit the park.
what are your alls opinions on this.

and also what type of weather should we expect that time of year also. want to make sure we have the clothing to make the weather bearable.

Jbehredt

WKR
9bd506d0c19d13abcb50e5983ffaa873.jpg

June 13th last year, Yellowstone for our anniversary We survived.

TexanSam

Lil-Rokslider
Go to YouTube and look up Randy Newberg, camping in bear country. There are bears there, you just need to educate yourself on how to be safe.

The weather will be really nice, but bringing a light jacket will help.

Also might I ask why you picked the national park specifically? There's tons of national forest all around it with a pretty similar experience without the hoards of people

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

wyodan

WKR
I play in the grizzly country nearly every weekend. Bring bear spray. I am not sure on the firearm regs in the park, but I carry both on my outings. I keep my cooking area about a quarter mile from my sleeping area, and I don't keep any food near my sleeping area. I would have no worries about hiking. Plus if you get to see one, pretty impressive.

jmez

WKR
Just need to be bear aware. Nothing with any type of odor that may attract a bear to where you are sleeping. Toothpaste, chapstick, etc. wyodan gives good advice. I like to keep the cooking and food more than 100 yards from camp. Helps if it is downwind of where you are sleeping.

If she is that worried look into an UL bear fence set up to put around the tent. You can always sell it after the trip. May help her sleep at night.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Go to YouTube and look up Randy Newberg, camping in bear country. There are bears there, you just need to educate yourself on how to be safe.

The weather will be really nice, but bringing a light jacket will help.

Also might I ask why you picked the national park specifically? There's tons of national forest all around it with a pretty similar experience without the hoards of people

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742A using Tapatalk

she is actually the one who picked the location. I just wanted to go out west and spend time in the mountains but she has never been to Yellowstone nor have I so just seemed like a nice place to go.

wytx

WKR
You will love Yellowstone except for all the others folks.
Why not look into a backcountry wall tent set up from a guide/outfitter. You may find someone to ride you in and take care of everything. Most want a few days trip but look around. Some backcountry cabins also that might fit your bill, look into FS cabins and outfitters with backcountry set ups.
Bears are no joke and need to be respected, and the guys above give good advice. You can get a nice wilderness type experience away from grizzly country too.
You should hear some bugling just starting up too. Look into doing some fishing, spawning trout.

S.Clancy

WKR
If you're planning on staying overnight in backcountry remember you need to get a permit to do so. In that case, you camp at predetermined areas already equipped with hanging poles. I've spent the majority of my life recreating in griz country, only 2 encounters so far. I go by a few simple rules. 1) I always "mark" my territory around my tent, camp, etc. You will attract deer and the like because of the mineral content of your urine, but predators are mostly deterred by it. 2) My food is low odor, i.e. no bacon, kipper snacks or overly smelly stuff. If we do cook fish or something, its usually well away from camp. 3) As others have said, NOTHING with an odor in your tent, these all go up the bear hang. 4) Make noise and avoid travel corridors. I make lots of noise, outside hunting season and avoid thick riparian areas around daylight and dusk as bears use them more frequently then. Have fun, its great out here.

S.Clancy

WKR
Weather is a general "who knows". Could be anywhere between 90 and sunny, to 30 and snowing in late August. I would prepare for both

If you’ve never been to Yellowstone, you’re going to love it. I’ll second the suggestion on carrying bear spray in the back country. Also it doesn’t hurt to hike in larger groups of three or more. The aforementioned bear fence has made me sleep a little better in Alaska. Depending on where you are in the park, you can go through huge variations in temperature even in the summer. But generally it’s gonna be fairly nice.

There are a number of outfitters and “outdoor camping” experiences within the park as others have mentioned that might be a better fit for your wife. You don’t want your wife to have a bad experience worrying about bears all the time. Maybe inoculate her to the back country first and go out on your own on a future trip.

2ski

WKR
The weather will probably be nice during the day. It very possibly could drop below freezing over night. The end of August it definatly can get pretty chilli at night. But still be in the 80s during the day. Depending on the year you could run into snow. It depends. But I would assume it will get in the 30s at night.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Deepshax

WKR
We went last June, it was awesome. I think you'll love it. If you're trying to hit any of the bigger attractions definitely get to them as early as possible; traveling in the mid-late morning into mid afternoon hours is pain and everything is packed. The park emptied out for us late in the day and we were able to get around better and see things with a lot less people which made it more enjoyable. Our game plan was to pick hikes we near an attraction, hit the attraction early then get to the trail head and spend the rest of day hiking (not very many people on the trails) and then try to get to something else we wanted to see later in the day when the park emptied out. We spent a lot of time in the Lamar Valley section. Get down to the Tetons if you have time.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
We went last June, it was awesome. I think you'll love it. If you're trying to hit any of the bigger attractions definitely get to them as early as possible; traveling in the mid-late morning into mid afternoon hours is pain and everything is packed. The park emptied out for us late in the day and we were able to get around better and see things with a lot less people which made it more enjoyable. Our game plan was to pick hikes we near an attraction, hit the attraction early then get to the trail head and spend the rest of day hiking (not very many people on the trails) and then try to get to something else we wanted to see later in the day when the park emptied out. We spent a lot of time in the Lamar Valley section. Get down to the Tetons if you have time.

that was kind of the plan we had was to see the attractions early if possible and do some hiking.
I'm planning on taking some fishing gear as well and do a little fishing when I can.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
First thing is to decide what part of the backcountry you want to see and how many days you plan to be out. You will need a permit that costs around $3 a night. You can get a permits at most ranger stations. If I remember correctly you have to get the permit in person, not online. Up to 48 hours in advance. Camp sites are reserved and if someone reserves ahead of you have a plan B.

Once you get to your site. Check to make sure those using the site before you didn't leave food stuffs and they type of things to attract bears behind. The Newburg video suggested is excellent as well as the bear proofing suggestions above.

Over the years we have spent over 20 weeks in the backcountry. We have seen plenty of bears. More black than Griz. We have never had a bear in camp but we do take every precaution.

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
that was kind of the plan we had was to see the attractions early if possible and do some hiking.
I'm planning on taking some fishing gear as well and do a little fishing when I can.

The upper meadow of slough creek is a fun day hike. Another that should be good in August is hell roaring creek. The suspension bridge is something a lot of people don't see.

Mt Al

WKR
If you're in the park: bear spray and bear fence for your tent. You may need a permit to backpack in the park. Definitely follow the cooking/eating/no food near your tent thing! You'll need bear proof food storage in the park as well.

Bottom line: CONGRATS!! You'll have a blast out here. Tons of people and hope you have your reservations NOW.