Grizzly Man

I finally watched the Herzog doc about Timothy Treadwell. I gotta say, I couldn't look away. It was really well done, though, that dude was a freak show!
I think he is a microcosm of what is wrong with most "animal welfare" people. He makes the mistake of anthropomorphism with the bears, and the other animals he encounters. He disrespects the animals by treating them like that. He really got what he had coming. On the other hand, it's hard not to admire a man who forsakes society and lives a life on his terms. Really interesting.

Whenever his name comes up, I always think " Natural Selection"

Pure and simple!!

Too bad it is not allowed to play out more often!!!

Bob

The Treadwell Snack

Grizzly Man is a peek into Treadwell's head. And ohhhh what a troubled head he had! Apparently Timothy wanted to be a celebrity, appeared on The Love Connection and was “second runner up” to play the role of Woody on Cheers. That disappointment “began his downward spiral” taking him into some dark places. He began to exhibit signs of mental illness but refused to take the meds the doctors placed him on to keep him balanced stating “…he needed the highs and lows” in order to be himself and the pills kept him in a middle place that “wasn’t him.” Descending further into the drug culture, he became surrounded by bad people (the kind who consider carrying a firearm a part of their job) and even adopted a fake persona with very bad Australian accent. He researched small towns down under to make his BS stories sound believable. His friends and family talk about his “dark side” and how they would visit the courthouse weekly to see felons being sentenced. They say this was Tim’s way of stopping himself from doing the things he was contemplating in his head. Eventually he detached from “society” completely, preferring the company of bears to humans. In clips shown in this show (edited out of the original series) you see a very troubled guy talking to the camera in a mental state that depicts a person fractured and emotionally distraught. He challenges God to “hurt him” and to bring rain “if you exist”…revealing rants that show Treadwell was less of a naturalist and more of a mentally ill young man who needed meds and therapy. Though his death was recorded on video, the lens cap was on so there is only audio but based on the expressions of those who have listened to it, it is too horrible to ever be released. He tells the bear to “GO. GO AWAY!” What follows is too much for people to hear all the way through and the family was urged to destroy the footage…stating it is simply too awful to save.

So Treadwell bonded with nature and became heartbroken when he saw animal predation and cannibalism, unable to wrap his warped, sentimental brain around the reality of nature and the forces of instinct that collided with his idealistically distorted view of nature’s “perfect harmonious balance” and paid for that lack of perspective with his life…taking an innocent young woman to the grave with him in what can only be described as a grizzly death. She deserved better, an impressive young woman who stayed and fought when most would have fled. It is a difficult program to watch…gut wrenching actually but like a slow moving train wreck, compelling as well. Tim Treadwell wanted fame…in that regard he was successful. A weird little dude on the fringe of society…he managed to show us the inner societal workings of the grizzly bear world in a way no sane person could and taught us lessons that cannot be ignored. I sorta feel a little bad for the guy now that I understand the demons that lead him into the wilderness and far away from humanity. Granted…his “love” of his “furry friends” was one sided and ultimately ate him alive but I guess he died doing what he loved and isn’t that what we all hope for? Perhaps without the crazy rants of a clinically deranged mind and maybe without being recorded as you are eaten alive.

[video=youtube;gDQkLF1Vd3o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQkLF1Vd3o[/video]

Last edited:
OP
Warren1726
Yeah you are so right, Bruce. He thought they were his innocent friends. We know, though, they cannot be innocent or guilty, friends or enemies. They simply are. It was only tragic because he drug that girl down with him. Great film.

huntin'monkey

Lil-Rokslider
He thought they were his innocent friends. We know, though, they cannot be innocent or guilty, friends or enemies. They simply are.

Boom! That's the definitive statement about animals. Wish everyone could understand this at a base level.

Mike21

FNG
When the bear who ate Treadwell was found he was ferociously licking another bears but hole. Only explanation that Alaska Wildlife troopers had was that the bear must be trying to get the taste out of his mouth........

If he would've only gotten himself lunched, I'd just write him off as an irony.

But his hubris, celebrity and media-anointed expertise ended up convincing that girl to go with him. That's terrible.

djsmith46

Lil-Rokslider
A guy I work with "baby talks" like Treadwell. It creeps me out. And that's pretty much my all I have to contribute. Goodday :)

SDHNTR

WKR
Damn I can't stand this fool and I share the same last name! To my knowledge, there is no relation (thank Goodness!). What a nut job.

weaver

WKR
Dexter is his birth name.

"Get out of his eye you friggin fly. Dont do it when I'm around, have some respect you F%$@&#!"

Last edited: