Grizzly Encounter / Shots Fired near Big Sky

Hazing the bears seems to teach them that people are a threat so it pretty much guarantees an encounter will become aggressive where as a bear might ignore you otherwise.

The guy in the article also punched the bear. He might not have been injured as much if he had played dead. Or maybe he would have been killed horribly...

At least you guys have the option to defend yourselves. In Canada we have to let them chew on us first to justify it and even then your firearms are seized and there is a strong chance what is left of you is going to spend a few years in the courts.

Good song

“Wisten to the whythmic whythm of the woodwinds as it wowws awound and awound…and it comes out here!” — Elmer Fudd

The Guide

WKR
A close friend of mine was elk hunting near Livingston today and the only thing that responded to his cow call was a bear.

Jay

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
In line with my reasoning that if there were fewer bears there would be fewer maulings, if this bear had been killed, as it should have been,:

https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/idaho-grizzly-attack.173119/ it wouldn't have been alive to kill that jogger in July or break into a cabin last week.:

Time to poke the bear (pun intended)

Lots of arrogance on full display.

Take the average human and the average grizzly bear. The human is not the apex predator in this comparison.

Now some WKRs will be the exception. You can recognize these "elite" individuals by their sheer vegan-like arrogance. Without even asking, they will tell you just how superior they are and how bad ass they are when it comes to instilling fear into all animals. If they were 1/10 as bad ass as they claim to be, then there's zero threat from grizzly bears, mountain lions, etc. by just them being in an area. And being the world class business people they also claim to be (see plenty of other threads), they can start a hiker/camper/climber/hunter protection business. For a modest fee, they will show up and all the evil creatures will either run away in fear or sit pretty so folks can pet them, photograph them, etc; basically whatever the bad ass WKR tells the animal to do.

Sad that folks are actually talking about using SSS on a federally protected species. If a person doesn't like a specific law/ruling/regulation, work the process and get it changed. It is also interesting the moderators are actually allowing the discussion of violating federal law to even occur.

All the doom and gloom about grizzly bears. Add up the associated maulings and killings over a single year. That number still would be a slow night compared to the very real and far more common threats commonly found across all of the utopian metropolitan centers in the Lower 48.

Loo.wii

WKR
Unless a grizzly bear suddenly jumps into our discussion on this online forum and convinces me he's the apex predator, I'm going to believe that a hunter with a firearm is the apex predator of any landscape he is on, on the planet. The only reason grizzly bear populations are increasing, is because we allow them to.
you've clearly never met barry

bow_dozer

Lil-Rokslider

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fish and game kill them pretty regularly, my buddy is a warden out of great falls and has been on at least one dangerous bear in the Bob. I’ll have to ask him if he has any other, might as well raffle the tags off. Heck bring a population like that to Co and you are in for some real excitement… I have a feeling we may get it with wolves… probably going to set some records for new negative human/wolf interactions

Loo.wii

WKR
Well I doubt you've ever had your lower jaw ripped off by one. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there, having been mauled or not, that have a pretty good reason for wanting them gone.
I view grizzles as part of the natural environment. IMO they should be re-introduced but well managed throughout their historic range. If someone gets mauled by a grizzly its no different than a shark. you're in their house you've become part of nature. Respect the animals and stay strapped.

hobbes

WKR
Summarized from an FWP release today:

An upland hunter near Freezeout Lake was charged yesterday by a male grizzly along a shelter belt. The Hunter fired two rounds from his shotgun at 15 feet, hitting it at least once, and causing it to flee. FWP has found evidence of a wound but no bear, searching with drones and a helicopter.

That'll require new shorts. :)

Loo.wii

WKR

An upland hunter near Freezeout Lake was charged yesterday by a male grizzly along a shelter belt. The Hunter fired two rounds from his shotgun at 15 feet, hitting it at least once, and causing it to flee. FWP has found evidence of a wound but no bear, searching with drones and a helicopter.

His Brown starfish puckered into a singularity that warped us into another universe.

t_carlson

WKR
Time to poke the bear (pun intended)

Lots of arrogance on full display.

Take the average human and the average grizzly bear. The human is not the apex predator in this comparison.

Now some WKRs will be the exception. You can recognize these "elite" individuals by their sheer vegan-like arrogance. Without even asking, they will tell you just how superior they are and how bad ass they are when it comes to instilling fear into all animals. If they were 1/10 as bad ass as they claim to be, then there's zero threat from grizzly bears, mountain lions, etc. by just them being in an area.

Sounds like someone is afraid of bears and resentful to those who can get a good night's sleep in the backcountry.

Flyjunky

WKR

It would be interesting to know if that bear will ever charge a person again.