Greatest hunting head of all time

OP
Tricer

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Love all the photos of two heads together with arca plates etc.

These are the exact things I am addressing with this head. I hear hunters needs and I built a head for them.

Again this is not a PRS head this is a head built for hunting / glassing and for what it is it solves so many problems hunters face when transitioning from optics to a rifle. And it does it all in a compact 1 piece 14oz head.

Last edited:
OP
Tricer

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I assumed this was for shooting off of. For glassing, seems like it solves a problem that I’ve never considered much of a problem…. Why not just roughly level the tripod real quick? Or just tilt the binos a hair ? Not trying to bash the product at all… I just don’t really get what it solves.
Having said that, I recently bought one of your lp heads and absolutely love it so far. If it holds up over time, it’ll be my new favorite head. Handles just as well and smooth as any of my other heads that weigh almost a pound more. Great job on that one!
100% this is for shooting off of. When shooting you can break the ball free and fully articulate your rifle level it and make the shot.

Messing with the legs of a tripod when having to shoot is a pain and takes a lot of time. This solves that.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
I’m just trying to understand, what makes it better to shoot off of then any other good ball head?…is it that you have a ball head and a pan head in one package that’s unique? For people that want to glass with pan and shoot off ball?Is it the weight savings?

OP
Tricer

Tricer

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I’m just trying to understand, what makes it better to shoot off of then any other good ball head?…is it that you have a ball head and a pan head in one package that’s unique? For people that want to glass with pan and shoot off ball?Is it the weight savings?
Yes it is all in one package. This head all in weighs 14oz. As for weight saving all depends on the heads you are running. Some of the pictures shown with a VA-5 and ball head some would say this would save him over a lb easily.

You are going to spend 99% of your time using your head to glass. Occasionally you will need to shoot off it while hunting. Many hunters are glassing off a ball head in anticipation of shooting off it. Or as you can see from this thread they are carrying two heads in their packs.

This head gives you the ability to level out your rifle without having to mess with the legs etc.

This is the best tripod shooting system.
You absolutely do not want your weapon sitting on a ballhead that is sitting on a panhead, multiple unnecessary inches above the apex of the tripod. The Anvil-30 or Leofoto MA-30L are absolutely bomber when direct mounted to the apex of a RRS Ascend-14 and locked up. Zero flex in the system barring that within the carbon legs. This is also superior to just being screwed to the top of a tripod stud, which it can then unscrew to the left.

Want to glass effectively? Throw a PT-Scout or Wiser Nighthawk on top for a USA made lightweight panhead or an ultralight Tricer LP (Designed in California Made in China like your iPhone)

Will take a LOT to convince me otherwise.

View attachment 741612View attachment 741613
Is the Ascend their best option for back country hunting tripod? Currently running a Sirui and thinking about grabbing a sturdier tripod that doesn’t absolutely suck to lug around.

huntnful

WKR
Is the Ascend their best option for back country hunting tripod? Currently running a Sirui and thinking about grabbing a sturdier tripod that doesn’t absolutely suck to lug around.
Yeah, and the compact Ascend actually gets me to standing height if need be. I'm only 5'9" though. I have used the Sirui ST 124 for the last 3 seasons, and while it's a great tripod for the money and weight, it really isn't even comparable in quality and stability to the Ascend. I couldn't believe the difference. But the price tag is certainly steep. If I didn't have the money, I would be content with the ST 124. But if you have the money, the Ascend is a premium piece of equipment without a doubt.

IMG_4793.jpeg

What Steve said above is all true. It’s the one to get. I prefer the compact/platform configuration. I use without the lower legs when I want to lighten things up and am left with a kneeling height tripod with super sturdy legs. I do not use the center coloumn unless glassing exclusively. Any center coloumn will add unnecessary movement into shooting platform. Direct mounted Anvil is the way to go for any precision work.

100%DIYazCOUES

Lil-Rokslider
Yes it is all in one package. This head all in weighs 14oz. As for weight saving all depends on the heads you are running. Some of the pictures shown with a VA-5 and ball head some would say this would save him over a lb easily.

You are going to spend 99% of your time using your head to glass. Occasionally you will need to shoot off it while hunting. Many hunters are glassing off a ball head in anticipation of shooting off it. Or as you can see from this thread they are carrying two heads in their packs.

This head gives you the ability to level out your rifle without having to mess with the legs etc.
I guess that’s what I’m saying… any ball head allows you to level the rifle without adjusting the tripod, not just this one…so this head is for those who carry both a pan head and a ball head, offers both at a significant weight savings, and if it’s quality is similar to the lp, then good quality as well. I’ll be interested to see one!

BBob

WKR
Is the Ascend their best option for back country hunting tripod?
It’s (compact/platform) the best compromise IMO. I rarely use the full center column. The short section gives me what I need for height adjustment when glassing. My tripod when I want to cut weight is an Outdoorsmans 1st gen two piece leg aluminum tripod. When you line up a bunch of the popular tripods and start doing bounce tests you’ll quickly see how bad or how good some of them are. The Ascend is far and above all of the popular lightweights. The OD is also but not as much as the RRS. I sold off several of the lighter carbons I’ve owned and tried. I’m a near 100% seated glasser so standing is not in my criteria at all for choosing a tripod.

Last edited:
Yeah, and the compact Ascend actually gets me to standing height if need be. I'm only 5'9" though. I have used the Sirui ST 124 for the last 3 seasons, and while it's a great tripod for the money and weight, it really isn't even comparable in quality and stability to the Ascend. I couldn't believe the difference. But the price tag is certainly steep. If I didn't have the money, I would be content with the ST 124. But if you have the money, the Ascend is a premium piece of equipment without a doubt.

View attachment 741775
Thanks. that makes sense. Ive noticed ive had a really hard time glassing in the wind with my sirui, so would be nice to have something more stable.

It’s (compact/platform) the best compromise IMO. I rarely use the full center column. The short section gives me what I need for height adjustment when glassing. My tripod when I want to cut weight is an Outdoorsmans 1st gen two piece leg aluminum tripod. When you line up a bunch of the popular tripods and start doing bounce tests you’ll quickly see how bad or how good some of them are. The Ascend is far and above all of the popular lightweights. The OD is also but not as much as the RRS. I sold off several of the lighter carbons I’ve owned and tried. I’m a near 100% seated glasser so standing is not in my criteria at all for choosing a tripod.
Makes sense. I also don’t really stand while glassing. So that would be helpful. What does the short section weigh?

And as an aside, the Tricer BC is legitimately a very good tripod as well with its inverse legs, especially when used at kneeling height and below. I could not get used to the “Righty Loosey, Lefty Tighty” leg locks personally.

Where the RRS shine for proper precision shooting is the direct mount of an Anvil down into the apex, without attaching to a center column, which will always allow more play regardless of the brand.

BBob

WKR
What does the short section weigh?
4.5oz with the fixed platform. I couldn’t tell you what the extension weighs at the moment because I haven’t used it in so long I don’t know where I stashed it. When I find it I’ll post it.

Since play in the center column was mentioned in the post above the tri-lobe center column in the Ascend is much more stable than many other round column designs. I have the previous model RRS that the Ascend replaced and the tri-lobe design is much better than the previous round column. I actually machined a new collet for the old one to improve it.

Last edited: