Great video never did jump on the 6.5 bandwagon myself.

MattB

WKR
To be clear, I understand your lens but I understand what I mean by KE. I do not have a physics degree so I'm probably not using the correct term? In the ballistics world I have learned you can't use the term KE w/o people losing their mind. LOL

FWIW I don't focus on KE to determine my max at shot on any game. I do believe every bullet has a minimal (not always what the manufacturer states) velocity to perform as expected. Wether that is called KE, energy, work, or just simply velocity, I don't know. Please feel free to kindly educate me.
That is just velocity, measured in feet/second.

Flyrodr

FNG
So, being more of a small game hunter & paper puncher, help me understand the diversion from 6.5CM to velocity vs energy by looking at two extreme cases.

One, a 5.56 with a 55gr bullet has a MV of around 3,000 - 3,200 and a ME of around 1,000 - 1,200 ft-lbs.

Two, a .470 Nitro Express with a 500 gr bullet has a MV of around 2,150 fps and a ME of around 5,100 ft-lbs.

Assume the bullets are of similar build, solids or thin jackets, whatever. And let's not consider trajectory for the moment.

Shoot 150 lb thin-skinned deer with both calibers, using similar thin jacketed soft points. Which kills deer “deader”: the 3,000 fps bullet, or the 5,000 ft-lbs of energy bullet?

Switch to a thick-skinned elephant or rhino. Does a 55 gr solid or a 500 gr solid at those same velocities kill better?

Do these extremes suggest that maybe velocity isn’t all that matters? ‘Cause I didn’t see any qualifiers other than the velocity or energy.

Just asking.