Great video never did jump on the 6.5 bandwagon myself.

Yep. I don’t have a 6.5 but the disdain for it is ridiculous and not based in any merit.

There are lots of uneducated people who heard its a good choice for shooting longer range and thus jumped to the conclusion that it's got super impressive ballistics on paper so I could see other people being put off by the uninitiated thinking its some lazer beam. But IMO it's no different than fudds thinking 270 is great because of Jack O'connor said so 50 years ago or 30/06 cuz back to back world war champ and grandpappy had one.

Clark33

WKR
It’s about time someone posted the truth about the 6.5, I’m surprised it actually took this long. And in no way do i believe a gun author trying to stay relevant influenced your ground breaking opinion. Undoubtedly these opinions were formed off years of experience and thousands of rounds spent.
You sir, have done a great service not only to the honorable members of this forum but also the nation. Thank you for your service…..

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
He shot a moose with a 6.5 long before is was cool to do so. Like I'm sure you and I do he has his preferences but I have found him to be pretty open.
Oh, I am full of biases, I don’t hate the 6.5 CM its more about the people that push it.

Ron is great to talk to and has more knowledge on rifles and cartridges than most ever will. But I hate click bait and that has been his model lately.

Last edited:

gerry35

WKR
Oh, I am full if biases, I don’t hate the 6.5 CM its more about the people that push it.

Ron is great to talk to and has more knowledge on rifles and cartrages than most ever will. But I hate click bait and that has been his model lately.
Fair enough comment on the click bait titles.

By the way I'm with you on the 6.5 CM after owning both the 260 and 6.5x55 Hornady's hype train always seemed ridiculous. People can do what they want but I'm not getting rid of our other 6.5's to buy one. On the positive side it's nice to be able to buy 6.5 mm bullets easily now, when I was younger in the late 1990's they weren't easy to come by like now.

KenLee

WKR
The fact that people feel vindicated against the "6.5 hype" because a long action cartridge with a similar bore size and 50% more recoil is able to approach the same wind drift numbers and shoot flatter is telling.
Well IF the Creedmoor rifle is a forum beloved Tikka, it's still a long action receiver and the felt recoil is as much as most 270s.

Well IF the Creedmoor rifle is a forum beloved Tikka, it's still a long action receiver and the felt recoil is as much as most 270s.

Please elaborate on how burning less powder with less energy at the muzzle translates into the same felt recoil and also what roughly 0.5" of receiver length has to do with it?

Edit: are you just saying tikkas have more felt recoil than something different?

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
Please elaborate on how burning less powder with less energy at the muzzle translates into the same felt recoil and also what roughly 0.5" of receiver length has to do with it?

Edit: are you just saying tikkas have more felt recoil than something different?
Tikkas have more felt recoil per same round than anything else I've shot except the cheap Rugers.

You made the point of long vs short action. They are same in a Tikka.

Tikkas have more felt recoil per same round than anything else I've shot except the cheap Rugers.

You made the point of long vs short action. They are same in a Tikka.

So you just wanted to gripe about tikkas in a cartridge discussion. Funny thing is there are notable benefits to using short action cartridges vs long action cartridges in a tikka even if they have the same receiver length.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Nothing personal, but I can't stand his videos. It always seems like he's defending an old cartridge with apples to oranges comparisons. I put them in the "that new 6.5XX won't do anything my old 260XX will do" camp.

KenLee

WKR
So you just wanted to gripe about tikkas in a cartridge discussion. Funny thing is there are notable benefits to using short action cartridges vs long action cartridges in a tikka even if they have the same receiver length.
More to the point of recoil actually felt is as much dependent on stock fit and effectiveness of the pad as on the cartridge used. Tikka is a great example.
I just threw in the receiver length as a bonus 😀 because I'm more tired of blind Tikka fandom than of the Creedmoor cult.