Great deal on March FX 4.5-28

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
How rugged are March scopes? I know the glass is fantastic. But are they passing the drop test here?
There are actual optics pros and professional shooters who've tested the hell out of that scope over on the Hide.
That's where I go for serious research

atmat

WKR
Do a search you'll find a lot of info, spoiler alert they track and hold zero with the best
I searched and read a handful of posts, but couldn’t find anyone talking about their durability outside of a bench gun. I want to know if they handle being beat up in the field and dropped.

March scopes are absolutely solid, their issue is ridiculously tight eye boxes and FOV. For those reasons I’ll never own one. I’ve been behind a dozen or so and they were all the same

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
March scopes are absolutely solid, their issue is ridiculously tight eye boxes and FOV. For those reasons I’ll never own one. I’ve been behind a dozen or so and they were all the same
The FX 4.5-28 doesn't have the eye box issues, they utilize a wide angle lense and it's pretty impressive.
It's 1000 times easier to get behind than my NX8 4-32.

I searched and read a handful of posts, but couldn’t find anyone talking about their durability outside of a bench gun. I want to know if they handle being beat up in the field and dropped.
They can definitely handle being somewhat abused in the woods, I'd recommend learning how to not drop you rifle though regardless of the optic on top..

Have you been behind a wide angle one with the 6x erector?

I’ve seen good things about the fov on this one

Is this really a “learned” behavior? If you hunt the mountains hard, you’ll eventually take a tumble.
For me it’s not even if the rifle takes a tumble. It’s the fact if it will hold up to an 18”-36” drop, it should definitely hold up to normal hunting use.

If it won’t hold up to a drop, where is the failure point during normal hunting? 150 miles bouncing in a side x side is fine and 57 hiking miles. But 151 miles in a side x side and 57 hiking miles it will start to wander? Or maybe it’ll hold zero for life but won’t pass an 18” drop test? Kinda doubt the 3rd one but who knows.

Obviously scopes fail the drop test all the time but the optic pros on SH say they are good scopes. Can those optic pros tell me when a certain scope is going to fail in the field then? Or if it looks good while they unbox it and it works from the bench, it’s a good scope.

Heck, what is an optics pro? Is that someone that is on an optics company pro staff? Is that someone that started a YT channel? Someone that actually designs optics?

I do have a March and like it. I wish their new scope was a 2.5-15ish instead of a 1.5-15. I bet it would be less finicky.

Worst scope purchase I ever made was a March 3-24x52. These 6x erectors are a lot more enticing but I’d have to use one before plopping down $ on a March again.

OP
762 ULTRAMAGA
That’s great, I’ll look into them more then!

Is this really a “learned” behavior? If you hunt the mountains hard, you’ll eventually take a tumble.
I've been hunting some of the most rugged mountainous country in the lower 48 since I was a kid.
I've taken one good tumble where my rifle actually hit the ground with force, I was in high school trying to basically rock climb with a rifle in my hand..
That fall broke the stock so it didn't even matter if the optic could have taken the abuse, maybe we need to start a stock dropping thread🤔

Anywho there is without a doubt a durability aspect to consider, mainly the quality of the internal adjustment components.
Leopold, vortex, and zeiss have all been well know to fail tracking even without being dropped..
Go with a high quality optic that's been proven is my advice, but if you want someone to drop it before you buy it then that's cool too.
Just trying to share a good deal on an outstanding and durable scope is all

atmat

WKR
I've been hunting some of the most rugged mountainous country in the lower 48 since I was a kid.
I've taken one good tumble where my rifle actually hit the ground with force, I was in high school trying to basically rock climb with a rifle in my hand..
That fall broke the stock so it didn't even matter if the optic could have taken the abuse, maybe we need to start a stock dropping thread🤔

Anywho there is without a doubt a durability aspect to consider, mainly the quality of the internal adjustment components.
Leopold, vortex, and zeiss have all been well know to fail tracking even without being dropped..
Go with a high quality optic that's been proven is my advice, but if you want someone to drop it before you buy it then that's cool too.
Just trying to share a good deal on an outstanding and durable scope is all
Just to be clear, I’m super appreciative of the shared deal and wasn’t try to bait into a debate about drop tests. I was just gathering info about a brand of optics I typically thought was out of my budget.

You sound more nimble than I am. I’ve taken a handful of falls in the last 20 years.