Gray, hazy ring in FOV

Ken Swenson

Lil-Rokslider
This is a question to the optics experts on the forum.

I’ve noticed with multiple examples of Swaro binos what seems to be a gray or hazy ring or halo roughly 80-90% towards the outside of the FOV. It becomes most noticeable when panning, but I notice it even when the binos are steady on a tripod.

Here’s an example of the “ring”

0926DA4B-BB3C-45D7-9557-89ACE3491A71.jpeg

Is this standard with all binos, or a possible defect? I’ve seen it in both NL and EL binos from Swaro.

Are you talking about personally looking through binos and seeing it or in digiscope pics?
Both. Used the phone pic to capture it as close to reality as I could. It’s not as pronounced to my eye as in the picture, but it’s noticeable

Both. Used the phone pic to capture it as close to reality as I could. It’s not as pronounced to my eye as in the picture, but it’s noticeable
Maybe try different eye relief settings on your eye cups, that’s the only thing I can think of, I have never seen that and have been behind a lot of swaro binos

The NL especially are freakishly clear on the edges

Neither of my NL Pures have that. I'd be really PISSED if I saw that in such ridiculously expensive Binoculars.

I think it’s the eye relief. It only shows up when I screw the eye cups in all the way and get my eyes all the way into the glass.

It sounds like you have the eye cups set for using glasses and you are not using glasses. If that’s the case, it is not a problem with the products.

I see this using Zeiss Nautic 7 x50 (v nice collectors glass) and it’s usually due to sunny day and eyecups not being folded down.

If you can , it wouldn’t hurt to get a Swarovski dealer to look at them. Just to rule out any doubt.

Back