Grand Design Imagine Series Trailers opinions

Grand Design uses the same appliances, pieces and parts that many builders use. They do a little better job of putting them together. They do a little better job handling warranty issues. Some good friends just bought a big GD 5th wheel. It had some pretty substantial issues. GD took care of them. I had a 5600 pound Flagstaff that I towed with a 1/2 ton. I would not have wanted to tow it in the CO mountains.

OP
B
Grand Design uses the same appliances, pieces and parts that many builders use. They do a little better job of putting them together. They do a little better job handling warranty issues. Some good friends just bought a big GD 5th wheel. It had some pretty substantial issues. GD took care of them. I had a 5600 pound Flagstaff that I towed with a 1/2 ton. I would not have wanted to tow it in the CO mountains.
Yeah, thats about the same conclusion I am coming to as well. I have looked them on a lot and then walked into some other brands 5 mins later and the difference comes across pretty quick on fit/finish on the inside & out. It seems like the thickness/construction of the laminated aluminum side walls and the better insulation is what keeps me looking at their options.

Thanks for the towing feedback.

We have a 21 foot grand design imagine. It’s a quality well built trailer. Components are typical, but good enough. I think wet weight is about 6k, with a 6.9k rating.

I tow with a 2009 F150 with the 5.4. It will do it, but gets wheezy on long inclines, and I basically live at sea level. I don’t tow enough to go 3/4 ton diesel, but I imagine the performance at altitude would be frustrating to say the least.8D35706A-2F3A-4BA8-A60B-7C2752857EE5.jpeg

OP
B
We have a 21 foot grand design imagine. It’s a quality well built trailer. Components are typical, but good enough. I think wet weight is about 6k, with a 6.9k rating.

I tow with a 2009 F150 with the 5.4. It will do it, but gets wheezy on long inclines, and I basically live at sea level. I don’t tow enough to go 3/4 ton diesel, but I imagine the performance at altitude would be frustrating to say the least.
Thanks, I have the 3.5 eco boost which is allegedly better at altitude with the turbos over the normal aspirated engines, part of why I bought that engine living here. Not saying I won't want for more at all, will just have to see if I pull the trigger.

Nice looking setup you have there!

Thanks, I have the 3.5 eco boost which is allegedly better at altitude with the turbos over the normal aspirated engines, part of why I bought that engine living here. Not saying I won't want for more at all, will just have to see if I pull the trigger.

Nice looking setup you have there!
Thanks!

The 3.5 is a way different animal than the old 5.4, I’ll bet you will be fine.

I still have my eyes on the new gasoline 7.3 in the super duty…..want the new truck, but not the payment.

😁

OP - to answer your specific questions:

Grand Designs are fine, and a bit above average in terms of insulation (but no Outdoors RV/Arctic Fox obviously). I have a Winnebago toyhauler (same factory as the GD) and I've been camping in -10F weather at a plug in RV campground. I did make a makeshift skirt out of tarps and had a small space heater plugged in and running under the plumbing. My friends did also, but they have the rear bath so their plumbing froze on the far side (no damage, but no toilet water until it warmed up).

Boondocking I'd be fine with temps down to +20F, maybe 0F, as long as you run the heater all night (make sure you have new batteries to last all night for the furnace). You can order custom skirting which really helps if you need it ($$$), or just use cheap tarps and lots of tape/clamps.

Also, check your door jamb stickers for your actual truck to find out your specific front and rear axle weight ratings. Hit CAT scales fully loaded to make sure you're under axle/tire load ratings and hitch rating and you'll be good to go!

OP
B
I am going to look at an Imagine 2400BH today. It will be interesting how its feels over the Nash/ORV models I have walked through.

visage

Lil-Rokslider
@Brightwhite Pretty minor but one of my biggest complaints is the dining space is a bit tight for me. Like it should have been stretched out a touch or the table cut a bit smaller. Make note to look at this for yourself. With that said the ottoman at the back that can be removed and placed at the end of the table which solves this issue for larger folks.

28’ Wilderness Ultra Lite here, no bunks. Ram 2500 pulls it likes it’s not even there, I’ve had it since new in 2018 and have been all threw California, Oregon and Washington with zero issues. I replaced the tires with Maxxis and no blowouts, I will be selling it so as to get a cab over camper(bonus w/3-4Ton) so I can tow my boat. I looked at the Imagine however twice the price. This one has the thick walls and completely wrapped underneath.
5B38D580-8B52-44FA-8CEF-56B2B24E5648.jpeg

JiminAZ

FNG
I have a Grand Design Momentum 25G that we tow with a 3/4 ton Duramax, bought just before Covid hit. It's a bumper pull toyhauler so I can't comment on the Imagine line.

I can say we have been very happy down into the teens with it. Haven't been any colder but all the tanks and piping beneath are covered/insulated. If the Imagine is similarly equipped I think you will be happy with the cold weather performance.

Grand Design quality before Covid was better than average, and the interiors are more modern than other makers' offerings. Owners forums indicate GC quality suffered quite a bit during Covid, and I just don't know if they have their act back together yet.

Your experience will very much be a function of your local dealer's competence. Honestly, I have seen/heard/experienced the knuckle draggers working in those places and I'll do my own service thank you very much. I don't care if it's under warranty, I'll fix it now and use it this weekend instead of having it sitting at the dealer waiting on parts or waiting to fix it maybe right the second time in a month.

You just have to accept that doing a lot of your own maintenance comes with the territory on trailers.

Also plan on doing some customizing. The quality of your camping experience can be greatly enhanced by upgrading faucets and shower heads, mattresses, install a keyless lock, larger propane tanks, extra battery, a water filter, solar, etc etc.

OP
B
I have a Grand Design Momentum 25G that we tow with a 3/4 ton Duramax, bought just before Covid hit. It's a bumper pull toyhauler so I can't comment on the Imagine line.

I can say we have been very happy down into the teens with it. Haven't been any colder but all the tanks and piping beneath are covered/insulated. If the Imagine is similarly equipped I think you will be happy with the cold weather performance.

Grand Design quality before Covid was better than average, and the interiors are more modern than other makers' offerings. Owners forums indicate GC quality suffered quite a bit during Covid, and I just don't know if they have their act back together yet.

Your experience will very much be a function of your local dealer's competence. Honestly, I have seen/heard/experienced the knuckle draggers working in those places and I'll do my own service thank you very much. I don't care if it's under warranty, I'll fix it now and use it this weekend instead of having it sitting at the dealer waiting on parts or waiting to fix it maybe right the second time in a month.

You just have to accept that doing a lot of your own maintenance comes with the territory on trailers.

Also plan on doing some customizing. The quality of your camping experience can be greatly enhanced by upgrading faucets and shower heads, mattresses, install a keyless lock, larger propane tanks, extra battery, a water filter, solar, etc etc.
Thank you, yeah this isn't my first trailer, so I know the drill. Although I have had very good luck with our current rig and have had very few inconveniences.

I went yesterday and looked at a 2023 and brought the build sheet home and called grand design to make sure the exact trailer I was looking at had some of the known issues worked out with a couple of things and they confirmed it did. Seems like covid whacked everyone in the quality dept and the customer care guy I spoke with made me feel a little better that they may be back on track.

I really liked the Imagine and pricing is certainly not what it was a year ago...I was quoted about $15k under MSRP out the door paid in cash/check.

I am tempted to pull the trigger and get I now where I can work out some kinks this fall, next spring so its ready to go next summer with more trips usually planned.

I was shocked at the ground clearance. My current rig has the "off road" package and the Imagine 2400BH actually had 1-1.5" better clearance on the axle, jacks, and dump pipe. That was a nice suprise for when I need to drive through a ditch or something on BLM land.

OP
B
@Brightwhite Pretty minor but one of my biggest complaints is the dining space is a bit tight for me. Like it should have been stretched out a touch or the table cut a bit smaller. Make note to look at this for yourself. With that said the ottoman at the back that can be removed and placed at the end of the table which solves this issue for larger folks.
It felt roomier than what I have now, which is a no slide dinette thats pretty cramped. I really like being able to pull that ottoman out, nice feature. I did not like the free floating table that I have to remember to start down....but like with everything else I am sure I would develop my routine for packing up and it would be no issue.

Nice rig, a lot more room than we are used too now. Seemed thicker, more robust and well built. Except for the suspension. Thats what stood out to me against the Nash/ORV...those dinky looking leaf springs and shackles are a known weak point and I could tell. Would probably do the MORryde upgrade though, which isn't crazy expensive.

Overall I was a fan. Love the arched ceiling in it too, really opened it up.

visage

Lil-Rokslider
I plan on the moryde upgrade in the next year or two however I haven’t had any issues this far. Good to hear prices are coming back down, we lucked out and bought ours used they a private party. Pull the trigger and go enjoy some fall trips!