Grakksaw Game Bags

I'm preparing for my first sheep hunt next year and have been looking through and weighing all my gear trying to find weight to lose. Having never hunted sheep before, I've been emulating a bunch of guys lighterpacks lists, specifically @B_Reynolds_AK. With a few purchases I should be able to get around 43 - 45 lbs without food or water.

One of the easiest and cheapest ways for me to shed weight is my kill kit - currently 25oz. I have Caribou game bags, but the Grakksaw Ultralite Game Bags really have my eye. At $88 and 6.2 oz, it's a sub $100 solution to lose several ounces, but I haven't seen or heard of a single guy using them for sheep - which gives me pause. My search here on the sheep thread also comes up empty.

Does anyone have any experience with these for sheep?

My two burning questions are: are there any durability concerns and is the standard pack of six 14"x26" bags enough for a boned out sheep, cape, and skull?

I have you used them and love them for backcountry mule deer. Not sure why they wouldn't work for Sheep. They are designed to carry deboned meet.

Last edited:

Untamed

Lil-Rokslider
I've used them for deer, bear and elk. I like them for deboned meat. I always have them in my kill kit. It seems like a good option for sheep.

OP
carsonkeys
I have you used them and love them for backcountry mule deer. Not sure why they would work for Sheep. They are designed to carry deboned meet.

I've used them for deer, bear and elk. I like them for deboned meat. I always have them in my kill kit. It seems like a good option for sheep.
Do you gents remember how many of the ultralite bags (non XL) you use for a deer or black bear?

Rowndy

FNG
No doubt they aren’t as durable as a lot of the heavier options but the weight and bulk savings make them worth it to me. It’s all I use for guiding sheep and mountain goat hunts, besides a separate larger bag for a cape.

Here’s one of my packers using one with an Exo on the left. You can fit a boned out sheep in 2 of the XL’s if you want.

IMG_2563.jpeg

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure that Grakksaw bags are great, but I went with Larry Bartlett’s TAG game bags. He makes a set of 4 specifically for sheep. The total weight is under 5 ounces.

They are tougher than the other ultra lightweight game bags, according to tests that I have seen.

Never hunted sheep but i have both sizes of grakksaw bags and like them. Used them to pack out several elk, deer and black bear so far. Their boot dryer is great too

Just be careful with them. I throw my meat in a Creek sometimes but these bags don't hold up very well doing that. They also don't hang from a tree with meat in them very well without tearing. If careful, they are a great way to save weight

OP
carsonkeys
I’m sure that Grakksaw bags are great, but I went with Larry Bartlett’s TAG game bags. He makes a set of 4 specifically for sheep. The total weight is under 5 ounces.

They are tougher than the other ultra lightweight game bags, according to tests that I have seen.
I didn’t realize his bags were so light. I’ll look into those!

OP
carsonkeys
Just be careful with them. I throw my meat in a Creek sometimes but these bags don't hold up very well doing that. They also don't hang from a tree with meat in them very well without tearing. If careful, they are a great way to save weight
Good feedback, thank you!

I am no sheep expert but six years ago I bought a set of TAG BOMB bags and have used them on several elk. They are still in great shape. This year I used 3 of the 14x34 bags for my Cali bighorn. Two for meat and one for cape. Total weight of the 3 is probably 4-5 ounces

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I stuffed a whole boned out sheep into one argali high country game bag and put it on the load shelf of my k3. It sounds like the graksaw system takes multiple bags. How are you packing this meat. Relying on a buddy?