Gps

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,
I'm looking for a gps but in doing my research and comparing the Garmin Oregon and 64s the online reviews are a little scary. I'm surprised at the amount of people that indicate the units quit all together, had to pull out batteries and restart multiple times. Does anyone have first hand experience with these units or these issues? Would also be open to other suggestions. I don't need fancy but like the idea of the built in camera to use for way points.

jmez

WKR
I have an Oregon 450, mine doesn't have the camera. I don't care for it and wouldn't get another. Mine has never frozen or quit. I don't like the touchscreen. Thought I would but it is a PITA.

It also eats batteries compared to an Etrex.

Beastmode

WKR
I will agree the Oregon is a pain. If the touch screen was more like a smartphone I would like it. Usually it just pisses me off. I would look at the new Oregon models. They have a different screen on them and might be better.

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
I have the oregon without the camera and i think its decent. Definetly run lithiums in it and i dont leave it on. I just use it to mark camp or check my location. It has never given me any trouble and does what i need it to. It would be awesome if it worked like a smartphone. Its the only one ive ever had so cant help you with a comparison

bobhunts

WKR
My first Garmin was the e-trex ( first one with a color screen) Since then I have bought and used the 655T Rino and went back to the 62 series. All of the reception and just push buttons. No touch screen. No problems with the rino other than the weight but it does come with some extras. I would buy a 62 ST if you want a really good one. Maybe I miss wrote but I am sure the gps is a 62 series and they had them on sale just about everywhere but for some reason they are back close to full price again. Maybe Garmin thought they had a good one that people like.

rbljack

WKR
I bought an Oregon 400t for my son, and I have the Montana 650t. Im relatively new to both units, but here is what I know so far. The brightness on the Oregon 400t is definitely a problem. Not bright enough....PERIOD. The 650 does a much better job here. My concern was that the Montana 650t would be way to big. Now that I have it in hand, it is large, but I wanted the larger screen and was willing to make the sacrifice in bulk. I also feel that the touch screen on the Montana 650 is better than the Oregon 400 from what I can tell. The 400t doesn't have some of the nicer features that the Montana has. Ive heard the newer Oregon units had brighter screens, so they may be ok but I have no experience with them. I haven't had any lock ups with either unit yet. From some research I did, some were having lock up problems because they had 32G memory cards in their units. When they dropped to a 16g card, they had better luck. Again its just something I read, I have no first hand experience there.

After two weeks use (not very much obviously) im liking the Montana 650t much better than the Oregon 400. BUT with that said, if don't want the bulk of the Montana, I think the newer Oregon has a lot of great features, to include an 8 mp camera if you get the right model. The Montana only had a 5MP camera. Not much help, but maybe a little anyways...

One last thing....whichever GPS you get, make sure your running the most up to date software update. I updated both of my units before I even messed with them (and I bought both units used). I got the 400T for 103.00 on ebay, and then got the Montana for another 376.00, also from ebay. That can be a risk because your never sure what your getting, could be refurbished, etc...but If you have priced the units, you probably already know that I did pretty good for that pair of units. I do not recommend the 400T. It will be a secondary unit for my son while we are out. The other great feature about these units is the ability to transfer data wirelessly from one unit to the other while in the field. I haven't tried that function yet, but its one of the reasons I decided to get a pair of garmins that were similar.

good luck.

Last edited:
I have the 450T as well. I don't have problems with it other than it does eat the batteries. I do leave mine on, and have changed some of the parameters. I get 1.5 to 2 days out of a set of batteries. I do use Lithiums until I run out, I have had good luck with the new red Duracells in a pinch.

Touchscreen is ok once you get used to it.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
I was looking at the 62 and 64 series that are on sale at Cabela's. I was also interested in the etrex 20 if anyone has an opinion on them.

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
For what it's worth, I have the little Dakota, small screen but very workable. Battery life is actually very good - was out 5 hours yesterday and only moved the battery meter 1 tick, takes AA so easy to carry and charge extras when out in the field.

It does have a touch screen but I have had no issues with it or the balance of the unit at all. For the size of the package, it gives me pretty much all I need in a GPS.

84toyota

Lil-Rokslider
We use A LOT of the Garmin 62s series at work. The 64 series is newer, with a few added features. The t in the model means that it comes with topos loaded on it. Don't waste money on this feature! Topos can be downloaded for free at gpsfiledepot- Google it. The c in the model means that it has a built in camera. The photos aren't bad, but I still prefer a point and shoot camera.

gethuntin

WKR
I have had the 60csx an Oregon 450t and now a 62st. I have no field time with the 62st but I bought it to replace the 60csx a gps that I started with and really liked. Basically just upgraded a little with a little better screen. My Oregon I have but only one complaint as it eats batteries bad. I like the detail of the screen for shaded relief and finer topo lines when dealing with mountainous terrain but I can hardly get through a day wo changing batteries. One reason I got the the 62st was to be a comboination of the two. I am hoping it is close to on par with the Oregon which I would then sell and only have one gps

I have a 400T and 450T and they both seem to work fine. I thought the 450 would have a better screen, so they claimed, but it is not really any better than the 400. touchscreen seems to work much better with gloves then bare fingers (?). My experience anyway, at least dragging the screen around. they are fine in sun if you look at the right angle, found this out while it was on the motorcycle. Direct sun on the screen and you can see it fine. I find that NiMH batteries last the longest, get a little higher capacity ones and change the setting in the unit to that type of battery and use battery save option. Keep backlight at about 50-75%. You missed the sale on the new oregon 600 at REI online back before XMas at $250 or $299. I have used them both on motorcycle and hunting and they work fine.

charvey9

WKR
I've had a Oregon 450t for 2 years. It works well. If I leave it on all day I can usually get about 16 hours out of a set using the energizer rechargeable AA's. I agree that the touch screen leaves something to be desired, but nothing that would prevent me from buying or using it. It has never let me down or shut off unexpectedly.

Many of the features I don't use. The newer models seem to just add new features and make them bigger and heavier. I would swap it for something else if someone made a model to significantly reduce the weight. My Oregon 450t weighs about 8oz with batteries.

poisonarrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have wondered why the more complicated gps? I have never seen the benefits. With a simple gps and a topo map I have never lacked. I have an Etrex 350. The more features they have the more power hungry they become.

danarnold

WKR
Skip it and get Gaia GPS app for your phone
I have a Garmin Rhino that has a ton of waypoints in it and the radio, but use it less and less with that app
theres other threads on here with diff apps but I use Gaia and its killer

gelton

WKR
I have wondered why the more complicated gps? I have never seen the benefits. With a simple gps and a topo map I have never lacked. I have an Etrex 350. The more features they have the more power hungry they become.

I really enjoy the new options on gps like Birds Eye Imagery that you can download to your gps and would highly recommend anyone that hasnt used it to give it a try, you can actually find little small meadows (while out in the field) surrounded by acres of dark timber that you would have never known were there without birds eye imagery.