Gps vs iPhone with onX

Aboyer35

FNG
It it worth having a gps unit when you have onX on you phone? Looking to go on my fist elk hunt interested to see what everyone runs

Brendan

WKR
This is one of the most popular topics on Rokslide ;)

Seriously - do some searching on OnX and Gaia, as well as BaseMap. LOTS of threads and discussion on this.

Me personally - I do not carry a GPS. I carry an Inreach SE and my Phone with GAIA, and GPS stays in the truck

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have both and won't ever be without my chipped gps. I find it much more useful, when I need it, than my phone.

Brooks

WKR
Here in NM I move around a lot hunting and never know where we’ll end up so I run out of cell service a lot and if I don’t have the whole state downloaded for out of cell service use I’m out of luck . I got rid of the onX phone app and only use the gps with a NM chip. Never out of signal and does a great job. If your always in cell service or know where you will be and have downloaded the area the phone app is great but if you move around in big country a lot and always lose service..IMO the gps is the way to go.

OP
A

Aboyer35

FNG
Here in NM I move around a lot hunting and never know where we’ll end up so I run out of cell service a lot and if I don’t have the whole state downloaded for out of cell service use I’m out of luck . I got rid of the onX phone app and only use the gps with a NM chip. Never out of signal and does a great job. If your always in cell service or know where you will be and have downloaded the area the phone app is great but if you move around in big country a lot and always lose service..IMO the gps is the way to go.
Appreciate the input.

OP
A

Aboyer35

FNG
This is one of the most popular topics on Rokslide ;)

Seriously - do some searching on OnX and Gaia, as well as BaseMap. LOTS of threads and discussion on this.

Me personally - I do not carry a GPS. I carry an Inreach SE and my Phone with GAIA, and GPS stays in the truck
I honestly never looked into GAIA. I will have to check it out.

80% of the time I run OnX on my phone, but also carry a chipped GPS. The other 20% I use the GPS because the app/phone occasionally gets glitchy, always seems at the worst possible moment. Also, when it comes to electronics, especially out in the elements and one being a crucial tool of my hunt, I like having redundancy.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I now run phone with onx (or similar), I have an inreach explorer for communication and if the weather is bad I'll switch to that one so my phone isn't exposed to the weather as much. The maps on the inreach explorer are minimal but enough to navigate as long as property boundaries aren't tight.

I carry a chipped Rhino GPS, Cell phone with OnX as a backup and an InReach for messaging. The idea of having a single item that could make or break the hunt is what steered me to go with multiple devices.

PlanoDano

FNG
I leave the GPS at home now and go with OnX and an inreach mini. I used to carry the GPS just to save the tracks but inReach mni saves 10 minute tracks to the Garmin cloud. Tracks are very valuable to me when I am scouting for the next year

I keep both with me. Certain areas that I hunt OnX gets confused with itself and puts you in the wrong place. It does it on multiple phones too.